Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

earliest use of baseball bats as weapons?

Pickman's model

Starry Wisdom
the earliest report of the use of baseball bats as weapons i can find comes from this report from "the irishman" of 30 july 1870
upload_2018-9-7_13-3-11.png
upload_2018-9-7_13-6-24.png

upload_2018-9-7_13-4-38.png

does anyone know of an earlier?

Well, I can't recall a shooting... :) But yes, ingrained hatred doesn't change in a generation, or even several generations.

Sometimes it does. Eg. Australia’s experience of sectarian violence last century and how they handled it.

But too rarely.

Sometimes it does. Eg. Australia’s experience of sectarian violence last century and how they handled it.

But too rarely.

Yes, I could see that exported hatred would die down, especially as the protagonists may be a small section of the populace.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland though, it continues to disgrace us.

Yes, I could see that exported hatred would die down, especially as the protagonists may be a small section of the populace.

In Scotland and Northern Ireland though, it continues to disgrace us.

I think the Australian approach of compulsory mixed schooling would at least help.

Seems unlikely as that was before the first official game of baseball had been played in the States

You still needed a bat for unofficial games.

(the first recorded game was nearly a century earlier, although the rules had not been codified at that point)

Last edited:
You still needed a bat for unofficial games.

(the first recorded game was nearly a century earlier, although the rules had not been codified at that point)
but it wouldn't have been a 'baseball bat' it would have been a rounders bat, or just a big stick

Not quite the same, but Hurleys were used as weapons over here. Many "games" were really fights...to the point where people were killed.

Obviously that was a very long time ago.

Not quite the same, but Hurleys were used as weapons over here. Many "games" were really fights...to the point where people were killed.
You
Obviously that was a very long time ago.
Was going to say. Cu Chulainn used a hurley as a weapon in the Tain did he not. That's a story from the 1st or 2nd century AD written down in the 12th century then.

Back
Top Bottom