Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Double carbs

Hey up, it's the carb judiciary!

What about beans on toast with a chip sandwich on the side?
It wouldn’t be for me. I can imagine a chip butty dipped in beans would be good. 😄

I have to have beans with toast because I have texture issues. So the beans/tomatoes/mushrooms meet the toast at the last moment. 👍

I love carbs, and I quite like chips... but having chips with pizza? shame on you. chips with a Chinese? you might as well put ketchup on your chow mein while you're at it. disgusting.

Seeing as your average Chinese in the UK is about as Chinese as bangers and mash I see no problem. And salt and pepper chips are awesome.

On the ketchup thing look at most recipes for sweet and sour... I'm sure there's a Chinese dish it originates from. But it's not what's generally sold.

Last edited:
That dosa looks good. No curry here but we’re having leftover enchiladas with fries which I think will be good.

Seeing as your average Chinese in the UK is about as Chinese as bangers and mash I see no problem. And salt and pepper chips are awesome.

On the ketchup thing look at most recipes for sweet and sour... I'm sure there's a Chinese dish it originates from. But it's not what's generally servers.
it was merely an example... ultimately, these just feel wrong to me. it's like having some pizza with your roast dinner.

Has anyone mentioned the venerable masala dosa yet?
View attachment 374988
Ahem .... post#32

Rice and beans. Rice and dhal. Rice or potato croquettes (done properly, at home, with loads of crumbs). Mac & cheese made with a thick layer of big fat crumbs on the top (macaroni upside-down pie?). Best ever tho is surely the mighty masala dosa (and you can argue it's a triple-carb treat if dipped in lentil gravy.)

I think the protein content of beans disqualifies them from being A Carb in this context

It's the way we all used to think of as "carbs" before we were reminded that all foods except the ones that move around and get eaten by other beings including us are mostly carbs. Like, lettuce is a carb. It's about as useful as being told a tomato is a fruit and putting it in a fruit cocktail.

It's the way we all used to think of as "carbs" before we were reminded that all foods except the ones that move around and get eaten by other beings including us are mostly carbs. Like, lettuce is a carb. It's about as useful as being told a tomato is a fruit and putting it in a fruit cocktail.
Yeah, it’s such bullshit, all this focus on particular food groups. Makes food less fun. Just eat plenty of everything and you’ll be fine!

Spaghetti bolognaise on toast. Works a treat during the day to keep you going.

Do you mean the tinned stuff? Cos yeah quick lunch, I've definitely double-carbed it with that on toast. Heinz actually used to do a much bigger range of quick lunch-worthy stuff in tins 30 years ago iirc, I remember having something like a tuna pasta too, and various other pasta-based options from tins, not bad when you just wanted something quick to do in the urn/coffee room microwave at work.

The Tattie Pie is a thing round here:

MINCE-TATTIE-AND-BEAN-PIE-1.jpg

Often served with chips or mash and gravy.

Personally, I've never particularly liked them.

Then there is See Pie - Which is classic country poverty food. Tatties, roughly chopped/sliced/sliced/whatever, any other old veg you have lying about, often kale or spinach, carrots, neeps etc, put in a big dish with onions, parsley/whatever and stock/water to make the gravy and finally sealed with a layer of sliced tatties or mash for the lid.

🤢

Back
Top Bottom