Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Double carbs

The Tattie Pie is a thing round here:

MINCE-TATTIE-AND-BEAN-PIE-1.jpg

Often served with chips or mash and gravy.

Personally, I've never particularly liked them.

Then there is See Pie - Which is classic country poverty food. Tatties, roughly chopped/sliced/sliced/whatever, any other old veg you have lying about, often kale or spinach, carrots, neeps etc, put in a big dish with onions, parsley/whatever and stock/water to make the gravy and finally sealed with a layer of sliced tatties or mash for the lid.

🤢

See pie for you being er... Something that happens after you've eaten it then?

Doesn't sound too bad, or at least sounds like something you could make an edible version of.

See pie for you being er... Something that happens after you've eaten it then?

Doesn't sound too bad, or at least sounds like something you could make an edible version of.

Depends - if you could use good stock to make it with it did taste better than water but either form deals your stomach a hefty blow..!

I always took see as teuchter-spik/Doric for something entirely of the land? I've heard older folk use see as a description in various ways for their farms/land/area - Maybe rooted in the religious/biblical see?

Although I do use the term kiddie meal to mean something like fish fingers and chips or chicken nuggets and dinosaur shaped potato product for a quick tea, I don't necessarily think it is applicable for stuff like lasagne which if you are making from scratch can take a while and some effort to prep and cook (and be utterly delicious). I don't think it turns it into food for children if you add some chips to it as a side. In fact I was barely ever allowed chips when I was a kid.

Depends - if you could use good stock to make it with it did taste better than water but either form deals your stomach a hefty blow..!

I always took see as teuchter-spik/Doric for something entirely of the land? I've heard older folk use see as a description in various ways for their farms/land/area - Maybe rooted in the religious/biblical see?

I dunno... we have (or had) sea pie, which - according to wiki since it's not really a thing anymore - is a layered pie in a pastry crust alternating between meat/fish/stew and veg, associated with sailors. It is entirely possible they're related, but that meaning flip thing has occurred at some point. I think sea can also also define land things, much as some of us may at some point had a 'sea of green' somewhere about the house :hmm: . Maybe some Danelaw-derived old English shit mixed in there? They loved all that metaphorical language; whale-roads and the like. Or yeah, maybe Christian. Maybe even French.

The best pie I've had at the football was the butter pie away at Preston North End. Now if those pies could make an inroad into South Wales and get served half and half with curry sauce. :thumbs:

Not sure they're on every week so check before you come over - football alone doesn't cut it at the mo! :D

Have they always been called that? I'm asking you because you're the official Urban FCUM authoriteh now. It's more of a mouthful than that sarnie.

I dunno... we have (or had) sea pie, which - according to wiki since it's not really a thing anymore - is a layered pie in a pastry crust alternating between meat/fish/stew and veg, associated with sailors. It is entirely possible they're related, but that meaning flip thing has occurred at some point. I think sea can also also define land things, much as some of us may at some point had a 'sea of green' somewhere about the house :hmm: . Maybe some Danelaw-derived old English shit mixed in there? They loved all that metaphorical language; whale-roads and the like. Or yeah, maybe Christian. Maybe even French.

Could well be related - Sea Pie here was what you would do with the last of your Cullen Skink/other fish soup, to bulk it out/make it a more solid meal - pretty much the same recipe/method but with the Skink/fish instead of stock.

Again, I've not seen that in many years - I think a lot of these dishes died-off with my Gran's generation, who were pretty-much first gen off the land and had grown-up learning how to feed large families during times of unemployment/poverty. Stovies is about the only one that persisted and again, she had several variations (incl entirely meat-free), depending on what she had in-hand to make it. On the odd occasions I make stovies, I still use her recipes over the more current "official" Scottish stovies recipes.

See also "Tattie Patties" - which used to be a staple all along the east of Scotland but are largely now only really associated with Orkney and Shetland. They area great way of making a little bit of meat/stew/mince/cheese go further.

Not too much old English in the Doric here but definite Viking/Scandinavian and Dutch/old German influence, as well as old Scots depending on how far north or south you are.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cid
Have they always been called that? I'm asking you because you're the official Urban FCUM authoriteh now. It's more of a mouthful than that sarnie.
The club? Yes! Easier to say it as Fuck'em. :D Or just FC in our house, which makes no sense at all if I think about it.

• Haha
Reactions: bmd
Could well be related - Sea Pie here was what you would do with the last of your Cullen Skink/other fish soup, to bulk it out/make it a more solid meal - pretty much the same recipe/method but with the Skink/fish instead of stock.

Again, I've not seen that in many years - I think a lot of these dishes died-off with my Gran's generation, who were pretty-much first gen off the land and had grown-up learning how to feed large families during times of unemployment/poverty. Stovies is about the only one that persisted and again, she had several variations (incl entirely meat-free), depending on what she had in-hand to make it. On the odd occasions I make stovies, I still use her recipes over the more current "official" Scottish stovies recipes.

See also "Tattie Patties" - which used to be a staple all along the east of Scotland but are largely now only really associated with Orkney and Shetland. They area great way of making a little bit of meat/stew/mince/cheese go further.

Not too much old English in the Doric here but definite Viking/Scandinavian and Dutch/old German influence, as well as old Scots depending on how far north or south you are.

Yeah, I mean the Viking/scandi side of old English. e.g Beowulf; your gardenas and aethlingas. Seems a bit unlikely/just-so story-ish. But plausible.

Back
Top Bottom