Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

Aww, come on, you are making it sound silly now...
No, that's internally consistent, at least. It was formed by memories of the Tardis, and no one remembers it with a bad CGI dog sat atop it.

Who needs story arcs?
I think you do need story arcs in modern Who, otherwise it all feels a bit basic and if you have one or two dud episodes there's nothing to keep you motivated to keep watching. Chibnall season one had no arc really and it just didn't work as a season. I guess you could instead have a season of several multi part stories, that might work.

I think you do need story arcs in modern Who, otherwise it all feels a bit basic and if you have one or two dud episodes there's nothing to keep you motivated to keep watching. Chibnall season one had no arc really and it just didn't work as a season. I guess you could instead have a season of several multi part stories, that might work.

Indeed, as it did for most of our lifetimes!

The first arc was the keys of time, which barely intruded on the individual stories. A good model to follow, if arcs are a must.

Think Santino is talking about the bigeneration bifurcation: there is an emergency Tardis now as well as an emergency retired Doctor.
I'd say they get to keep that in case they write themselves into a corner, but I've not seen Who ever give a fuck about internal consistency anyhow. :D

I'm saving the final episode... The sun is shining, and I'm just not ready to subject myself to more of it.
The rest of it was utter shite, and by all accounts, the final episode was no better, so I think I'll waste my time on something else.
This is the first time I've ever given up on it. I even endured the Jodie Whittaker mess, but I'm refusing to subject myself to any more of this.
Watching it has been like self-flagellation for a long time. Now it feels more like self-immolation. Utter, utter shite.

I'd say they get to keep that in case they write themselves into a corner, but I've not seen Who ever give a fuck about internal consistency anyhow. :D

It occurred to me the other day that Romana’s regeneration from I to II, where she tries several bodies on for a laugh before settling on Lalla Ward’s, is only a couple of years away from the Fifth Doctor insisting on the twelve regeneration limit in Mawdryn Undead. They really didn’t give a fuck in those days.

It occurred to me the other day that Romana’s regeneration from I to II, where she tries several bodies on for a laugh before settling on Lalla Ward’s, is only a couple of years away from the Fifth Doctor insisting on the twelve regeneration limit in Mawdryn Undead. They really didn’t give a fuck in those days.
I was quite serious that they've not ever given a fuck beyond appearance's sake. It's not a new thing. It's the one thing you really can't get upset at NuWho for, because it's always been that way.

I was quite serious that they've not ever given a fuck beyond appearance's sake. It's not a new thing. It's the one thing you really can't get upset at NuWho for, because it's always been that way.
That’s the thing about insisting on 60 years of continuity. There was no canon Bible to refer to. They were literally making it up as they went along and had no idea what later writers would introduce.

And it doesn’t bother me in the slightest. I can’t keep track of all the pocket universes and parallel realities, I have absolutely no idea whether the Time Lords are supposed to exist or not this time round. But I do think that you need a certain amount of consistency and internal logic for individual stories, which is where RTD fails.

That’s the thing about insisting on 60 years of continuity. There was no canon Bible to refer to. They were literally making it up as they went along and had no idea what later writers would introduce.

You didn’t need to be a fan to get the script editor or writer jobs, in those days. You just needed to be in the BBC canteen at a convenient moment and have access to a typewriter.

I think it was the hiatus that caused the obsession with nailing down canon. Only a neglected fandom could devote themselves to things like the Unit Dating Controversy.

Think Santino is talking about the bigeneration bifurcation: there is an emergency Tardis now as well as an emergency retired Doctor.
And that's another thing... what was emergency doctor Tenant doing besides lounging about in Donna's back garden? Didn't he notice the world was turning to dust around them? He should have jolly well rolled his sleeves up and entered the fray. Tenant, you're a disgrace :mad:

When the TARDIS split into two identical TARDIDES, did Sutekh get duplicated as well?
I thought it was a Time window.

To see through time.

Instead it became a memory replicator. Can physically create complexed objects and energy (time energy for the TARDIS to function as a TARDIS) from memories.

Unit had the technology to create and power such a thing?!

I thought it was a Time window.

To see through time.

Instead it became a memory replicator. Can physically create complexed objects and energy (time energy for the TARDIS to function as a TARDIS) from memories.

Unit had the technology to create and power such a thing?!
Such a mess. I honestly think it's the worst writing RTD has ever done, on Who or elsewhere. Really struggling to understand the collapse in quality from the specials to the series proper.

Such a mess. I honestly think it's the worst writing RTD has ever done, on Who or elsewhere. Really struggling to understand the collapse in quality from the specials to the series proper.
Yeah, at the heart of the show they have a great new doc, great new companion and a lovely relationship between them. Should be the basis for a great Who era. I'm willing to give it time but hope it doesn't go the way of the Whittaker doc in terms of lost opportunities.

Just caught up on the last 3 eps.

Rogue being the best. Don't get all the shock about the snog. That's been a thing since the 1996 film and, iirc, Ecclestone and Captain Jack had a passionate moment, as well.

The return of an old villain was fabulous and thankfully no Daleks or Cybermen.

Apart from the space babies, really enjoyed the series.

Just caught up on the last 3 eps.

Rogue being the best. Don't get all the shock about the snog. That's been a thing since the 1996 film and, iirc, Ecclestone and Captain Jack had a passionate moment, as well.

The return of an old villain was fabulous and thankfully no Daleks or Cybermen.

Apart from the space babies, really enjoyed the series.
Finale?

Astonishingly, Flux was a lot better than the two part finale. And there are some notable similarities - godlike beings that can turn people to ash and destroy all life across huge chunks of the universe.

Was chatting to a friend yesterday who is a long time fan who gave up after the Beatles episode, and I convinced him to give it another go because it gets so much better, and now I feel so embarrassed.

We had that with the second to last Capaldi season and it worked in places. Some better than others but on the whole they were OK. Good stories even if a bit inconsistent and with a fair bit of stupid in there. There was a bit of a story arc. The Hybrid, the confession dial and the one from Game of Thrones turning up.

The final Capaldi season was more of a story arc. I'd say it was more than an arc really. It was an actual story. Things are slowly revealed and the story changes. It has a beginning (Doctor being a lecturer with something behind a secret door) middle (We then find out who is in there and why as well as why the doctor is now n a university) and an end (that person is out of the box, starts to redeem themself and faces the person they're trying not to be.) This story and a slightly wider one are woven in to a number of standalone and multi part episodes. Ot just odd hints and words written on buildings but actual character interactions and plot points.

Back
Top Bottom