Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doctor Who 2024 - News, views, spin-offs

So, here goes.

Broadly speaking, an alright season closer.

RTD is great with human emotions, he's a soap opera producer at heart. And the unfortunate consequence of being such a good "realist" is you can't marry that with the supernatural or the science-fiction.

It was a good collection of suggestions, with some very high high points, and some rather low low points. We've had much worse.

If Anita Dobson had showed up occasionally at the bar of the Queen Vic being mysterious and spooky but without ever any clear indication of what her role was, or the situation ever being resolved, EastEnders viewers would have complained and said that RTD was a bit shit at soaps.

No seriously. You could tell that even Ncuti thought the 'she was so special because she was so ordinary' guff was utter tripe and that even he couldn't sell it.

Just read an article describing the whole thing as a huge anti climax.
One turn of phrase summed up most of the episode for me...

'There’s some wonky logic'

It was only used to describe one element but the 'wonky logic' was abundant.

Was it in the context of why a pregnant fifteen year old in 2005 would carry her baby to term and then dress up as a wizard before abandoning the baby at a freezing church?
Turns out she got pregnant filming a commercial for Scottish Widows Insurance Company and a witch cursed her to not remove the cloak until Starbucks released the Pumpkin Spiced Latte.

Forgive the exhausted self absorbed hyperbole.

But that whole season, with 2 exceptions, was utter shit.

I think this show and I have bigenerated. It' s not for me anymore. I still have all my classic DVD's - including Pyramids of Mars, which is one of my absolute faves.

That episode was dreadful. I still don't even really understand the significance of Ruby's mum to Sutekh.

And I don't care about Mrs Flood (who some have theorised might be Clara, everyone's least favourite companion).

Was it in the context of why a pregnant fifteen year old in 2005 would carry her baby to term and then dress up as a wizard before abandoning the baby at a freezing church?
I want to name my abandoned child in a suitably dramatic way, so I'll leave her outside a church on xmas eve wearing a cloak while pointing to a sign.

Utter toilet

Good set up in the first part , was looking forward to that. But, sadly, it was an incoherent mess, with 15 minutes of schmaltz added on the end. All the major plot points were unconvincing.

Well that was impressive. It really takes something quite special to have Mel in a doctor who episode and her not be the worst thing about it. . . Not even one of the top 20 worst things about it.

I am honestly wracking my brains to try and think of something nice to say. Even the Tom Baker clips just reminded me of better days.

My biggest complaint was how loud the so-called background music was. It swamped the speech at timed and quite spoiled the episode.
Yep, I couldn't hear a fair bit of the dialogue. Probably missed a few significant plot points.

I really didn't take on board why the doggy was so obsessed with Ruby's mum, but most of all was miffed at the doggy has been squatting on the Tardis for 50 years. So much about that was annoying.

Just read a couple of reviews which, I'm surprised to say, are quite positive.

I'm actually quite curious as to when a lot of you think there might have been a Doctor Who episode ever that made complete logical and narrative sense.

I quite enjoyed it.

+1 for Ruby not being extraordinary or special because I'd had enough of that and found this one refreshing.

I'm actually quite curious as to when a lot of you think there might have been a Doctor Who episode ever that made complete logical and narrative sense.

I quite enjoyed it.

+1 for Ruby not being extraordinary or special because I'd had enough of that and found this one refreshing.
I can cope with a bit of logical inconsistency but there are limits. Disappointed, because I really enjoyed episodes 3-6, and 7 was nonsense but got away with it through sheer fun.

Very much in the tradition of terrible RTD finales, but it's like he took all his worst instincts, flaws and overdone impulses as a showrunner and concentrated them to the power of 100 in that episode.

Last edited:
Why was Mrs Flood on roof at the end?
To keep those clinging to the tardis curious rather than wanting to breathe death on the whole sorry affair.

If they put in it box to hibernate for another 20 years , to be be reawakened by another fresh set of imaginations...it would be a good thing...but the world Disney work like that

I quite enjoyed it.

at the heart of it Sutek just got on with slaying everybody and then it was hooked and dragged through time which somehow overturned everything. The 70s version culminated in Sutek threatening and bargaining with the doc. There wasnone of that, no real interaction. And most of all amongst the illogic, why hadnt 50 years of dragging the thing round on the Tardis had similarly world changing results?

Back
Top Bottom