Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you want Boris Johnson to win or lose the confidence vote?

?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

teuchter

je suis teuchter
This is not a poll about your prediction - but about your preferred outcome.

Some people have said they want him to stay as that'll do the most damage to the Conservatives in the long term. But I suspect they'll still celebrate if he loses, and pretend that's what they wanted all along.

And vice versa.

I want him to lose. His replacement will be awful and do nothing to restore the Tory party's credibility (such as it ever had), so that will be yet another awful prime minister to their discredit.

At a recent re-screening of the excellent RoboCop, I'm reminded of a scene were a pudgy political carbuncle has been ousted from his role and has taken his colleagues hostage and started murdering them in protest, demanding a recount and his old job back. He ends up being literally defenestrated.

Does that count as a comedy option or, in our satire-proofed times, is this a realistic outcome? Because it's all I want in the world right now.

I suspect it won’t make much difference. I can’t see any obvious alternative candidate, and the Tories are likely to be presiding over quite a recession in 2 years time.

Most Tory voters will be really suffering by then. The BoE has to bring inflation under control. They can only do that by upping interest rates. Half the country’s fixed rate deals are likely to expire in the next 2 years. It’s going to be messy as that adds to inflation when the fuel increases drop out of the picture next March. It’s the economy, stupid.

I’m not sure Labour have any idea what to do, but starting a government in 2 year’s time could catch a cyclical upturn. I also think that by then, it will be obvious if the U.K. had fallen significantly behind the EU, and whether a Norwegian type relationship will be palatable

Tories have had a worrying propensity recently for replacing the PM who won the last election then winning the subsequent election with the new PM. Cameron to May to Johnson... It's a chain that needs breaking.

I want him to lose because it will be funny, but I also want the tories to fuck themselves properly, for which Johnson staying is probably the best bet. Win narrowly is possibly the best outcome. But oh my days, what a state to be in to think that.

Lose. There can’t be much prospect of a Tory revival. The former version of conservatism was dead on its feet under Theresa May. Who will vote for a largely Remainer cohort who Johnson trashed?

On the other hand, no one close to Johnson can escape the chaos he has created. All are tarnished and none have the charisma to carry a failing Brexit and culture war. The best they could offer is a ‘lessons learned’ Johnson lite. Won’t convince those angry about Covid, the cost of living, sleaze etc.

If you hate BJ and the Tories, this is basically a question of whether you're an optimist or a pessimist, whatever happens. The former will be happy to see him kicked out because he deserves to get a good kicking, and will happy to see him stay on and drag down the party. The pessimist will be gloomy when he's ousted because the replacement may well be objectively worse and also make the party more electable, and gloomy if he's not, because he's still fooling enough people.

Poll fail, no option for him being eaten by an escaped hippopotamus in the lobby.

Win by 15/20 votes. wipe the smug smile of his face whilst still damaging the Conservative Party by clinging onto power as hard as ever he can with his little greased trotters.

Lose definitely, I have no enthusiasm whatsoever for whoever might replace him but I would like to see him gone

Looking back over the international political scene of the last few years, I'm surprised anyone would wish for an obvious malignant incompetent to be in a position of being able to win or retain power. So, it's lose for me. I genuinely have no idea what the actual outcome is going to be though. On one side, the tory party is venal, self interested and treacherous, but on the other side they're venal, self interested and treacherous.

The accelerationist argument for him staying (ie. wanting to see maximum long-term damage to the tories) ignores the fact that he's guaranteed to be replaced by someone equally hopeless and awful who will not change the trajectory of the tory party in any meaningful way. I want shot of him. He's an appalling man and bad things should happen to him.

This is not a poll about your prediction - but about your preferred outcome.

Some people have said they want him to stay as that'll do the most damage to the Conservatives in the long term. But I suspect they'll still celebrate if he loses, and pretend that's what they wanted all along.

And vice versa.
no option for i want a tie - poll failure

Back
Top Bottom