Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do you want AV for the UK? Cast your vote here!

AV referendum, May 2011

• Total voters
Tories are quite happy with a yes - it either won't hurt or will benefit them.

why are they seconding staff to work for No? Why are the Taxpayers Alliance running their campaign? Why is not a single Tory MP advocating a yes vote? They know it will hurt them.

It means that the lin-dems get to choose forever. And ever. Not you. See why they like it?

No it doesn't see John Curtice in today's Indie - only post-90 election that would have led to a hung parliament with AV was....2010 - when FPTP produced that anyway.

They'r buggered whatever. I'm sure Simon Hughes fully expects to lose to Labour next election. But he and Kennedy and the others who would have preferred coalition with Labour are utterly marginalised in the party now, and they're fucked whatever. I hadn't fully appreciated last year exactly how at home with the Tories the likes of Clegg were - they are ideologically opposed to any coalition with Labour - and they'll try to cling to five years of coalition whatever. I don't see what else they can do.

In any case, losing the vote doesn't mean the coalition has failed on libdem terms. They've already got what they demanded - a vote. They didn't demand av or pr or anything else, they demanded a vote on it.

They needed a win. That was the whole point. The last thing they can sell.

why are they seconding staff to work for No? Why are the Taxpayers Alliance running their campaign? Why is not a single Tory MP advocating a yes vote? They know it will hurt them.

tbh I don't think they will be hurt by it. Part of the bill is a gerrymandering down to 500 seats. I haven't seen the details, but it would surprise me if the gerrymandering hadn't been done to favour the tories. All govts forever have always gerrymandered in their favour whenever the opportunity has arisen.

No it doesn't see John Curtice in today's Indie - only post-90 election that would have led to a hung parliament with AV was....2010 - when FPTP produced that anyway.

But you keep telling us that AV will change the way people vote.

But the gerrymander element of the Bill won't be undone by a NO vote. This was their attempt to minimise the damage of a Yes vote. If they get a NO they are totally laughing

And they put their true party interests aside to appease their activists? Yes, right, that's how the coalition works....

I didn't say that it was in their interest - i said the impact would be so minimal they couldn't a fuck. They can't lose. Shocking level of dishonesty there. Bad show.

But you keep telling us that AV will change the way people vote.

It might, but the bottom line is that AV - for good or ill - is a majoritarian system. Which means it isn't predisposed to throwing up hung parliaments. But the PR supporters among you need to accept that coalition government is more likely as a consequence. You can't have it every way

Tories are quite happy with a yes - it either won't hurt or will benefit them.

Whether the tories like it or not isn't really the main issue, but the vast majority of them don't want a yes because they know they won't be able to rely on big fat majorities ever again. Only fptp gave them that.

I didn't say that it was in their interest - i said the impact would be so minimal they couldn't a fuck. They can't lose. Shocking level of dishonesty there. Bad show.

except they obviously CAN give a fuck..the Tory press, Tory MPs and Tory donors are as one on it

I do agree with this. I don't think the Tories really give a shit about this vote. But I don't think it is obvious that damaging the libdems only - ie and not the tories - damages the tory govt. I don' think it's obvious that it does.

It might, but the bottom line is that AV - for good or ill - is a majoritarian system. Which means it isn't predisposed to throwing up hung parliaments. But the PR supporters among you need to accept that coalition government is more likely as a consequence. You can't have it every way

It's not coalition people dislike, it's the cunting Lib Dems holding the balance of power for the foreseeable. Do people pay you for this?

realistically, PR will mean LDs hold balance of power. AV doesn't mean this (see 92,97,01,05) any more than FPTP does.

I do agree with this. I don't think the Tories really give a shit about this vote. But I don't think it is obvious that damaging the libdems only - ie and not the tories - damages the tory govt. I don' think it's obvious that it does.

How not? What's wrong with my scenario for example?

I'm sure last year that the tories desperately wanted to win the election outright. Now I'm sure they're rather chuffed with how things have turned out. Sacrificing three minor cabinet posts with virtually no policy making responsibility at all between them was a small price to pay for neutralising half the opposition.

What I'm saying is, I think, 'who give a fuck about the libdems?'

You're right - but people on the left (from Keir Hardie through to Ralph Miliband and beyond) have argued that electoral reform and a realignment of the centre would produce space for a viable left alternative. I stand in that tradition.

That would be better than the almighty fucking fuck up we have today. Tolday's govt is virtually the worst of all possible worlds - the most extreme right-wing govt since universal suffrage was introduced.

That would be better than the almighty fucking fuck up we have today. Tolday's govt is virtually the worst of all possible worlds - the most extreme right-wing govt since universal suffrage was introduced.

It's about the next govt - and if you think the people you've just accurately described are after a recreation of the past - then you're wrong. You're not voting on the past. You're voting for the people you've just outlined as scum to be the people who choose which party governs forever.

If these AV supporters really knew what was going on and gave a fuck about other people, they'd be putting their energies into stopping the Tories, blue and yellow, from stripping the state to its bones and squeezing every fucking penny from the workers, the sick and the elderly as they can. This pathetic little reform is a fucking distraction from the wholesale evisceration of society that's being planned.

If these AV supporters really knew what was going on and gave a fuck about other people, they'd be putting their energies into stopping the Tories, blue and yellow, from stripping the state to its bones and squeezing every fucking penny from the workers, the sick and the elderly as they can. This pathetic little reform is a fucking distraction from the wholesale evisceration of society that's being planned.

We have a winner.

What does it matter what system we use to elect people when the second they get in they throw all their pre-election promises out the window and set about doing whatever the people who funded their campaign tell them to? Why even bother having elections if there is nothing requiring politicians to adhere to their mandate? Whatever the motivations of the two sides to this campaign really are all we're going to hear is an endless stream of lies from all concerned until the actual issue is lost in the fog of war. Just like in a general election. I don't vote in those either.

Back
Top Bottom