Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we support Insulate Britain?

Do we support Insulate Britain in here or not?

• Yes

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Dont know

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters
the argument remains the same. so your solution entails a) designing renewable plants; b) getting planning permission; c) building them; d) attracting the attention of the chinese government; d) the chinese evaluating said plants; e) them going through stages a-c in a chinese context. and all this, we're told, before 2030. i suspect you'll agree that it's not really much of a plan. anyway, it's not just china, but china as the biggest current emitter (The World’s Top 10 Carbon Dioxide Emitters) does have rather a large part to play
Why the fuss over China's emissions particularly. It's still the most populous country in the world, it's always going to be the biggest emitter. And while I'm no fan of Xi, at least the country doesn't have the slavish devotion to markets that makes planned and coordinated action almost impossible in the west.

Great slogan that.
No it's not.

Surely if the revolution isn't convenient for people, if it isn't there for people, providing for them then people won't get behind it and it will fail.

This is very basic stuff. Kropotkin wrote about it in The Conquest of Bread.

It's also ridiculous to compare what Insulate Britain are doing to a revolution if you ask me and they are definitely not revolutionaries.

Last edited:
Dead_Kennedys_-_Give_Me_Convenience_or_Give_Me_Death_cover.jpg

Why the fuss over China's emissions particularly. It's still the most populous country in the world, it's always going to be the biggest emitter. And while I'm no fan of Xi, at least the country doesn't have the slavish devotion to markets that makes planned and coordinated action almost impossible in the west.

Yeah, like direct action is embraced in China. :rolleyes:

The blocking ambulances line is a well used yeh but trope already.see every other criticism all the time of the protesters everywhere in social media.
...just a bit of a shame they can't roll out "the trouble was believed to have been caused by a hard-core of anarchists fuelled by high strength lager" anymore. I miss that.*

*Not high strength lager. I don't miss that.
packed lunches and drinking money provided by 'insert enemy here' is another old classic, I saw it grimly updated with 'soros' in the provider of evil wages to protestors line not so long ago.

No it's not.

Surely if the revolution isn't convenient for people, if it isn't there for people, providing for them then people won't get behind it and it will fail.

It's also ridiculous to compare what Insulate Britain are doing to a revolution if you ask me and they are definitely not revolutionaries.
Hearing rumours that the Spanish Civil war did inconvenience some people? I assume that is just revisionism from Franco apologists and tankies though?

No it's not.

I'd like to see details of any revolution or significant social change that's been 'convenient' for anyone!

I do agree that the point about what is and isn't revolutionary politics and political action, and then how those politics are often jumbled up and confused with activism, and then how often any activism gets criticized by revolutionaries for not being about revolution, whereas maybe it's just activism on a certain topic and revolutionary politics has nothing to do with it.

...just a bit of a shame they can't roll out "the trouble was believed to have been caused by a hard-core of anarchists fuelled by high strength lager" anymore. I miss that.*

*Not high strength lager. I don't miss that.
I've still never quite got over the time I saw a Stalinist meme implying that all anarchists drink La Croix sparkling water. The times they are a-changin'. :(

I've not owned a car for 10 years (not smug about it, just don't need one where I am) so I have no idea what "the end of life car market" is? Just driving bangers or what?
I pretty much made up the term myself on the hoof but that's what I meant. To be scrapped in 12 months or less. Anything under 1000.

I've actually stopped driving now for the time being, good timing with the eye watering petrol prices

I'm old enough that your post makes no sense to me at all.

Stallnist memes?
Wtf is La Croix?
Overpriced fizzy water that comes in some quite nice colourful cans:

And yes, I'm old enough to remember a time when the concept of "Stalinist memes" would also have sounded ridiculous, but here we are.

It's also doing a fair amount of the manufacturing for the rest of the industrialised world, particularly to lower end stuff that is more emissions heavy, so it's everyone else's CO2 in that sense as well.

I heard the 1st International split 'cos they couldn't agree mutually convenient dates for the next Congress. Marx could "only do Tuesdays" but Bakunin "had something on" and Blanqui wasn't prepared to travel more than 2 hours "for some boring Congress".
And Proudhon missed the whole thing cos he was asleep outside the offy with his dog on a string.

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Back
Top Bottom