Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we support Insulate Britain?

Do we support Insulate Britain in here or not?

• Yes

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Dont know

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters
Look at these selfish fuckers blocking ambulances.

Paris-Commune-barricade-600x381.jpg
🤣 There is some good comedy on this thread.

I support insulating Britain with a lot of organic hemp fibre. I really only see a lot of win-wins in such a scenario.

In the meantime, it looks like someone from Insulate Britain has read this thread and they've seen the error of their ways

Insulate Britain suspends road protests for 11 days

Climate protest group Insulate Britain, which has caused disruption to major roads during the last five weeks, is to suspend its campaigning for 11 days. The activists have blocked motorways and roads in the London area, including the M1 and M25, and Thames crossings.
In an open letter to Prime Minister Boris Johnson, the group says it will halt its "campaign of civil resistance" until 25 October. Insulate Britain said it "profoundly" acknowledges the disruption caused.

Why aren't they protesting outside Johnson's house? The same reason cops prefer to pick on motorists than real criminals. Motorists tend to not fight back, so these bored rich kids know they're less likely to get a good hiding blocking roads than blocking access to Johnson's gaff or #10.
They're doing nothing of worth, and it's only a matter of time before the public take the law into their own hands and start doling out physical warnings.

What would protesting outside johnson's house accomplish? People do that from time to time and it does fuck all.

And, you think these protests are going to achieve anything, beyond more powers for the police to break up protests?

Their demands are totally unrealistic, and could never be achieved in the time frame they set out, they live in the same fantasy world as all the numbnuts calling on private cars being banned, which is never going to happen in our lifetimes.

And you, as usual, are only interested in picking holes in straw men.
A pig-headed refusal to look facts in the face. If you looked into the issue of arctic methane, at the way the Arctic is already damaged by soot which lowers the amount of sunlight reflected, at the feedback loops which build on this, the way the reduced ice is encouraging shipping along previously closed routes, therefore more soot - you wouldn't be so complacent. Barring a miracle - for which people should strain minds and muscles to deliver - it's all fucked. I'd love to see you bring out the science to show all that's bilge but I don't expect you to

Any political action that stands a chance of actually doing something will annoy people on the way to work. It's inevitable.

That's not true though, plenty of political action has no chance of annoying people on the way to work. The type of political action that does annoy people on the way to work (or going anywhere) is a very small subsection of what can be done - it's just that that type of action has grown to dominate the tool box of political groups, I think largely for not great reasons.

Why aren't they protesting outside Johnson's house? The same reason cops prefer to pick on motorists than real criminals. Motorists tend to not fight back, so these bored rich kids know they're less likely to get a good hiding blocking roads than blocking access to Johnson's gaff or #10.
They're doing nothing of worth, and it's only a matter of time before the public take the law into their own hands and start doling out physical warnings.

Yeah motorists are famously sanguine about speeding fines and there’s no reason at all why fuel duty has been static since he early 2000s

Those oppressed motorists are saints one and all

Any political action that stands a chance of actually doing something will annoy people on the way to work. It's inevitable.
Why? What's wrong with picketing outside factories after people have arrived at work, and preventing trucks from entering or leaving? That way the workers get paid and it hits the companies.

A pig-headed refusal to look facts in the face. If you looked into the issue of arctic methane, at the way the Arctic is already damaged by soot which lowers the amount of sunlight reflected, at the feedback loops which build on this, the way the reduced ice is encouraging shipping along previously closed routes, therefore more soot - you wouldn't be so complacent. Barring a miracle - for which people should strain minds and muscles to deliver - it's all fucked. I'd love to see you bring out the science to show all that's bilge but I don't expect you to

You’re not arguing with me, you’re arguing with what you think I think.

Are you two even talking about the same thing? He was just saying we shouldn't give in to abject defeatism wasn't he?

Reactions: Cid
And, you think these protests are going to achieve anything, beyond more powers for the police to break up protests?

Their demands are totally unrealistic, and could never be achieved in the time frame they set out, they live in the same fantasy world as all the numbnuts calling on private cars being banned, which is never going to happen in our lifetimes.
They don't have to achieve those demands to achieve something though do they? If insulating the housing stock of the UK is pushed up the political agenda - and it's certainly something a lot more people are aware of now - then they've achieved something. a lot more than they'd have been able to achieve by going and waving some placards outside downing street.

Back
Top Bottom