Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Do we support Insulate Britain?

Do we support Insulate Britain in here or not?

• Yes

Votes: 40 34.2%
  • No

Votes: 56 47.9%
  • Dont know

Votes: 21 17.9%

• Total voters
Any political action that stands a chance of actually doing something will annoy people on the way to work. It's inevitable.

TBF the one that XR did which stopped the Murdoch papers going out didn't (or at least the only people prevented going to work were those who worked there). Its hard to think of anything XR did that got as much attention off the government (in terms of spooking it) as that did either.

They don't have to achieve those demands to achieve something though do they? If insulating the housing stock of the UK is pushed up the political agenda - and it's certainly something a lot more people are aware of now - then they've achieved something. a lot more than they'd have been able to achieve by going and waving some placards outside downing street.

One is tempted to wonder what they would have achieved in terms of awareness and support by buying a load of twitter and Facebook adverts...

They are pushing at an open door - I can make your house warmer, and cost you less in heating bills - and it's not really as if there's a huge cohort of the electorate unaware of climate change.

They aren't pushing something that no one has heard of, they are simply pushing for a fairly technical change that will inconvenience no one - it might be expensive and pain to do - but that is broadly in line with wide(ish) public opinion.

Well, it was until they started this idiocy...

Here's them putting the case of what needs to be done & why:

Which looks like it all makes total sense.
It seems like them blocking roads doesn't have much obvious connection with achieving this but then again i'd never otherwise have read anything about insulation, which tbh always seemed like one of the world's boringest subjects.
eta oh i didnt expect to go all imbedded like that. :cool:

I don’t want my flat insulated. It’s already too warm, especially in the summer. Would rather the money went to speeding up moving to non-fossil fuels.

i'm going to try to insulate my kitchen, which is the only bit thats really bad, and cold. I can (weird house) access the underneath of the floor reasonably easily so should be able to just get some rolls of the right stuff and nail/ staple to the underneath of the floor.

sounds like just the kind of action that will get your campaign on the evening news bulletins.
Yes, because nobody has ever heard of loft insulation. We need to make people aware of its existence!
Blocking roads isn't going to force the government to do anything but introduce laws to stop people blocking roads.

Their demands are totally unrealistic, and could never be achieved in the time frame they set out, they live in the same fantasy world as all the numbnuts calling on private cars being banned, which is never going to happen in our lifetimes.
Bit early to make strong claims about what will happen to private cars, I have no prediction just yet. Also your particular claim is dependent on when the lifetimes you mention actually end.

Bit early to make strong claims about what will happen to private cars, I have no prediction just yet. Also your particular claim is dependent on when the lifetimes you mention actually end.

The lifetime of those posting on here.

If anyone seriously thinks a government is going to ban private cars in the next 30-50 years at least, they need medical help.

The lifetime of those posting on here.

If anyone seriously thinks a government is going to ban private cars in the next 30-50 years at least, they need medical help.
Sounds like you've got entirely the wrong impression about this century and the magnitude of the transition that looks likely.

This is not the same as me making a confident claim about when such a ban would be sure to happen. But I am loudly suggesting that to demonstrate such certainty about what will be normal in 30-50 years is incredibly stupid.

One is tempted to wonder what they would have achieved in terms of awareness and support by buying a load of twitter and Facebook adverts...

They are pushing at an open door - I can make your house warmer, and cost you less in heating bills - and it's not really as if there's a huge cohort of the electorate unaware of climate change.

They aren't pushing something that no one has heard of, they are simply pushing for a fairly technical change that will inconvenience no one - it might be expensive and pain to do - but that is broadly in line with wide(ish) public opinion.

Insulating the housing stock sounds like the sort of policy that all mainstream political parties should be advocating for.

I fully expect that it will be pinched by the Tories, Johnson to be featured in a “hilarious” photo call attempting to roll out a bundle of loft insulation and falling through the ceiling plaster. The implementation will then be farmed out to Dido Harding and a bloke Kwasi Kwarteng played The Wall Game with at Eton and naturally be a total disaster.

They are pushing at an open door, I agree - but I don't think insulation has been a very substantial part of this debate until now. I think most people have been kind of resigned to having shitly insulated houses, as the means to sort it out is beyond them. It is now. And it's not something that people are going to be against just because of the way it's been brought to their attention - it's one of those rare things, a proposal about combating climate change which would also benefit them: it's not saying drive less, don't fly places, give things up - it's saying pay less in bills and have a warmer home.

Sounds like you've got entirely the wrong impression about this century and the magnitude of the transition that looks likely.

This is not the same as me making a confident claim about when such a ban would be sure to happen. But I am loudly suggesting that to demonstrate such certainty about what will be normal in 30-50 years is incredibly stupid.

And, I would suggest anyone that thinks a government that pushes people to electric vehicles over the next 10-25 years, will then ban those a few years later, are incredibly fucking stupid.

And, I would suggest anyone that thinks a government that pushes people to electric vehicles over the next 10-25 years, will then ban those a few years later, are incredibly fucking stupid.
Um. Wasn't there a great push to diesel not that long ago, encouraged by the government? So there is a precedent for them doing er a u-turn

Um. Wasn't there a great push to diesel not that long ago, encouraged by the government? So there is a precedent for them doing er a u-turn

The push on diesels was years ago, and whilst new diesel sales will be stopped, they are not banning those already on the road.

They are pushing at an open door, I agree - but I don't think insulation has been a very substantial part of this debate until now. I think most people have been kind of resigned to having shitly insulated houses, as the means to sort it out is beyond them. It is now. And it's not something that people are going to be against just because of the way it's been brought to their attention - it's one of those rare things, a proposal about combating climate change which would also benefit them: it's not saying drive less, don't fly places, give things up - it's saying pay less in bills and have a warmer home.
Oh I dont know, there have been subsidised insulation programmes on occasions in this country this century and work was done on some of the houses I can see out of my window as a result (external cladding).

In regards bills, likely they will soar to generally unaffordable levels and this will provide a new angle with which people will take the issue more seriously.

I'm not happy that some opportunities to improve building regulations this century to make recent additions to the housing stock more fit for purpose were squandered by watering down certain proposals.

The future picture in regards quite how much shit we'll be in with home heating is somewhat clouded by continued hydrogen hype and reliance on the idea that hydrogen will be a natural gas boiler replacement that can be made to work at the necessary scale. Maybe much is possible on that front, but maybe things related to hydrogen will turn out to be as empty a form of hype as they were last time future energy claims were pinned to a glorious 'hydrogen economy'. So I'm skeptical but since I dont like to make narrow assumptions about the future, I suppose I shouldnt rule it out.

Last edited:
They will continue to push whatever creates more revenue. When (if?) the next generation of batteries is invented, cars using the current (no pun) batteries will be taxed into oblivion, just to sell more cars.
I don't think private cars are going away any time soon, and certainly not in my lifetime. I'd argue that they're never going away

More likely is that people will be priced out of the market in stages, and norms and expectations will shift as a result. I dont rule out more dramatic action because I cannot rule out various shocks and crises that turn priorities and resource allocation on their head.

Insulating the housing stock sounds like the sort of policy that all mainstream political parties should be advocating for.

I fully expect that it will be pinched by the Tories, Johnson to be featured in a “hilarious” photo call attempting to roll out a bundle of loft insulation and falling through the ceiling plaster. The implementation will then be farmed out to Dido Harding and a bloke Kwasi Kwarteng played The Wall Game with at Eton and naturally be a total disaster.

Was it not already in the Tory manifesto at the last election? I thought it was but I may be mistaken.

Back
Top Bottom