Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Digital DJ’s of urban…

Also, Tidal for DJ’s just got a lot more expensive, check their site.
I've just seen that. £19 a month! Fuck that. Amazon Unlimited wants an extra tenner on top of Prime (so the same overall cost) but you get loads of additional benefits with Prime.

I don't think it's a feature I'm going to use much but as I always have a laptop at my gigs for videos I could always download something on to a USB stick on the unlikely chance that a song was desperately required.

One of the things I’ve noticed since starting digital DJing is how little I actually use headphones anymore. The waveforms on the track display tell me pretty much everything I need to know.

Add to that beat/grid sync and you can concentrate on doing cool transitions, using fx, loops, hot cues and so on. So much better than spending ages manually getting something beat matched…

One of the things I’ve noticed since starting digital DJing is how little I actually use headphones anymore. The waveforms on the track display tell me pretty much everything I need to know.

Add to that beat/grid sync and you can concentrate on doing cool transitions, using fx, loops, hot cues and so on. So much better than spending ages manually getting something beat matched…
I only use the headphones when I have a specific spot on a track I want to find to mix in. I always set a hot cue when I do this so most of my tracks now have multiple named hit cues.
But putting a headphone to your ear is the classic DJ stance. Kerry Chandler didn't get where he is today without the headphones stance.

I only use the headphones when I have a specific spot on a track I want to find to mix in. I always set a hot cue when I do this so most of my tracks now have multiple named hit cues.
But putting a headphone to year is the classic DJ stance. Kerry Chandler didn't get where he is today without the headphones stance.
I think you’ll find that’s been replaced by the finger in the air/fist pump combo nowadays.

Monitors utterly vital.... not only so you can hear what you are doing and not mixing to a delay but above all so you can have fun and vibe while mixing which translates back to the crowd ... I want the monitor booth to be full blast and sound full range, not just some tinny eardrum splitter

Remember Hype telling an anecdote about how he only heard the bassweight of some of his tunes properly on a soundsystem some years later as you could never really hear shit in the DJ booths

Not even entourages, it now takes a minimum of 2 people to play a song, but ideally a lot more.
The next Pioneer mixer is going to be 4' wide with 8 completely independent cuing systems.

He's being a rude cunt. He wouldn't speak to me like that face to face.

Just because you fail to understand why many, many DJs like to use monitors, that gives you no right to shout over others and insist that you know better than them.

FYI:

Just because you fail to understand why many, many DJs like to use monitors, that gives you no right to shout over others and insist that you know better than them.

FYI:

I'm sorry, I overreacted. I was trying to give ways you could still DJ when the monitors are crap. While I think you were a bit blunt in your response, it didn't warrant my reaction.

Apologies to everyone on the thread for being a dick.

(FWIW I consider a decent monitor essential, but that’s partly down to the 20 years of monitor engineering in me… :D )

Yeah, a decent monitor is a good thing (although I do know someone who hates them cos they want to hear the rig - they come from the reggae soundsystem world). I was trying to give advice about ways around having a crap or non existent monitor - maybe I didn't word things very well.

Sounds like she is relying way too much on automatic beat syncing in rekordbox and has no idea how to actually “DJ” without it.

This is a very sad state of affairs if this is one of the headliners.

View attachment 420025
Whereas I openly admit that I am unable to, and have no interest in, beatmatching so it's a problem I'll never have :)

But this whole notion that because someone is a well known artist they're going to automatically translate into a great DJ is bullshit anyway. DJing is a skill all of its own.

I remember seeing the rhythm section of The Smiths DJ doing a DJ set and it was pants.

Back
Top Bottom