Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Digital DJ’s of urban…

Interested to see how it deals with crossover frequencies.
I’ve had very variable results, with various different bits of software. Sometimes it’s like witchcraft, and you’ll get parts that pretty much stand up alone. Other times they’re usable, but only as a part of a mix with other stuff masking the bits that don’t quite work. Then occasionally the audio has horribly noticeable glitches.

I’ve had very variable results, with various different bits of software. Sometimes it’s like witchcraft, and you’ll get parts that pretty much stand up alone. Other times they’re usable, but only as a part of a mix with other stuff masking the bits that don’t quite work. Then occasionally the audio has horribly noticeable glitches.
Yeah, I've watched a Serato Sample vid showing off the stem gizmos for version 2 presented by the devs. They're obviously going to choose a track that works perfectly or even commissioned one themselves to show it in the best light! I'm still intrigued though. Although if the stem feature is bullshit it'd be a waste of money as most of its other tasks can be done natively in Ablelton Live.

I know serato sample can and is apparently one of the best at it
I’ve been enjoying messing with this. Made a vocal and backing track for a rave version of Walking in the Air. Which has probably been done a million times. Haven’t committed it to sequence yet though. But pushing split tracks through new effect chains seems to bypass glitch issues.

I’ve been enjoying messing with this. Made a vocal and backing track for a rave version of Walking in the Air. Which has probably been done a million times. Haven’t committed it to sequence yet though. But pushing split tracks through new effect chains seems to bypass glitch issues.
Yeah, stand alone, most will show their imperfections but in the mix with fx is usually fine

I'm currently using a DDJ-400 with Rekordbox (free version that came with the controller), a 2012 Macbook Pro and a small bluetooth speaker that has a line in. Works great for my purposes, those purposes being occasionally setting it up in the kitchen to record mixes for my own amusement. Although I agree that the track analysis could be better. I'm constantly having to correct BPMs.

My PDX-2000s, proper mixer, big speakers and all my vinyl have all been mouldering away in the shed for 8 years now, cos I have nowhere to set them up.

Not sure where else to post but here seems appropriate enough.

Pioneer DJ products will now be branded ‘AlpaTheta’ - for reasons unknown to me. Pioneer is such a well known brand in the DJ world it seems a bit strange to just create a new name nobody has heard of. But there you go.

Pioneer DJ products will now be branded ‘AlpaTheta’ - for reasons unknown to me. Pioneer is such a well known brand in the DJ world it seems a bit strange to just create a new name nobody has heard of. But there you go.

is this not like Meta and Facebook -as in Facebook is still called Facebook and Google isnt called Alphabet?
agree its weird

its a shit name, physically hard to say "Theta"

is this not like Meta and Facebook -as in Facebook is still called Facebook and Google isnt called Alphabet?
agree its weird

its a shit name, physically hard to say "Theta"

Maybe, it's hard to tell. Hopefully the old name will stick because it would be a shame to see the whole thing lost in some thoughtless 'rebrand'

im very curious to see what the Pioneer buy out of Serato will mean in practice....I fear the worst tbh, especially will resent having to rent the software, but lets see
im hoping they'll standardize the mp3 processing between rekordbox and serato

Last edited:

They're not doing away with the Pioneer DJ brand, they've just started a new brand, named after their parent company, for shits and giggles.

Oh Lordy. This happened again last night.

So I'm DJing off memory sticks on the XDJ-XZ when suddenly everything freezes. I can't start/stop/select any tracks, pressing any of the buttons along the central display (USB 1/2, browse, info, menu/utility etc) does absolutely nothing, neither does removing the USB sticks, so I'm fucked.

Except I would have been but thankfully I brought along some CDs and a cheap back up laptop to see me through the end of the set.

Looking online it seems that others have suffered this problem so I guess the moral is: have a back up of some kind!
1708176108818.png

yes I find digital tech can be a bit nerve wracking from a Will It Crash point of view
Then again the last three times in a row (!!) we have used Technics out there has been either a heavy hum or the needles have failed in different ways (one side dropping out...distortion)... And CDs of course can scratch and CDJs can fail also
gear in venues especially gets battered

Yep. Live performance of any kind is usually a fairly tough environment for gear. The multitude of digital formats doesn’t help though. It does seem some sticks will just crap out for seemingly no reason, even when they’ve been reliable before.

I wonder if this is one of the shortcomings of USB sticks vs SSD or if both are suffering the same issue?

It's an absolute pain in the arse anyway. I'd be bricking it if I was DJing a festival or big club in fear of that happening.

Oh Lordy. This happened again last night.

So I'm DJing off memory sticks on the XDJ-XZ when suddenly everything freezes. I can't start/stop/select any tracks, pressing any of the buttons along the central display (USB 1/2, browse, info, menu/utility etc) does absolutely nothing, neither does removing the USB sticks, so I'm fucked.

Except I would have been but thankfully I brought along some CDs and a cheap back up laptop to see me through the end of the set.

Looking online it seems that others have suffered this problem so I guess the moral is: have a back up of some kind!
View attachment 412508

I've had one of these for four years, play out with it regularly, never had a problem. I guess any equipment can be a pain sometimes. The days of vinyl with skipping needles, fluffy needles, bass feedback etc, never went smoothly!

That thing is exactly what I want, but not at that price.

I wonder if we'll ever get a cheaper one.

My requirements:

2 channels with level meters. USB slot. Built in soundcard. Screen. Well under £1000.

I don't need FX, hot cues, mic input etc, but most of them seem to have these.

I wonder if there's a DIY option here? I don't think I have the skills, but it's tempting to try.

This looks interesting: Shantea Controls &#8226 Easy Way To Build MIDI controllers

Back
Top Bottom