Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Digital DJ’s of urban…

On the comment about CDJ’s being very expensive I’ve got Denon SC5000’s and the layout is almost identical to CDJ’s.

Unfortunately I haven’t had the chance to use them in months but I plan to get back into it all now I’ve finished my college course. My plan was to get back into it over Xmas before I got covid
Good shout...£700 still about £500 too much for what it is IMO
Still that beats the £1,800 to much for what a Pioneer costs

Last edited:
whats the deal with that, i.e. what do you pay and get?

its probably a good deal for many, but Im with moody , i find so few tunes I like I doubt it would be worth it for me!

I think it's a monthly subscription at £12.99 - I tried it out on a month free trial when I did a gig and it was OK, but was quite dance music focused - so I wouldn't rely on it for anything other than that but it was useful on a couple of occasions to find something I didn't have.

Headphone cueing as in have an output to headphones that isn't the main output? Surely any DJ controller can do that?

There's no audio output on the DDJ-200. Just a USB link to the laptop and the laptop does all the audio out - and as laptops generally only have one headphone out, that's what you need to split L/R which is done with a splitter cable and a button on the software to enable 'cue mode' or something. IIRC.

There's no audio output on the DDJ-200. Just one link to the laptop which does all the audio out - and as laptops generally only have one headphone out, that's what you need to split L/R which is done with a splitter cable and a button on the software to enable 'cue mode' or something. IIRC.
Well that's shit. :D

What does that mean/refer to? What would you like it to do?

I want a central place to search for a particular tune, that will then advise what platforms are selling that tune (and at what price).

That said, I've done no R&D of the likelihood of a tune being available on platform A and not platform B, but it's nice to give some comfort on stopping me doing 3+ searches (Google will swamp you in Youtube/Streaming (Soundcloud etc) results). It's more surprise than anything, almost everything has a aggregator but not MP3 / DJ music

I want a central place to search for a particular tune, that will then advise what platforms are selling that tune (and at what price).

That said, I've done no R&D of the likelihood of a tune being available on platform A and not platform B, but it's nice to give some comfort on stopping me doing 3+ searches (Google will swamp you in Youtube/Streaming (Soundcloud etc) results). It's more surprise than anything, almost everything has a aggregator but not MP3 / DJ music
interesting.... ive noticed that now digital tunes from one artist are scattered...some tunes appear on one site (i only buy from beatport for no good reason), some appear on artists onw bandcamp, others on a label bandcamp....some on a different retailer....and discogs is losing its discography function as many of them are not being listed at all if digital only releases... shit state of affairs

Last edited:
I'm technically a pro DJ as I am - or at least was - scraping a living from DJing. My set up is a mess but it works for me, and for that reason I'm sticking with it for now - but what I do doesn't need any kind of beatmatching, In fact I fucking hate it when pop songs seamlessly merge into the next one with a 'Stars on 45' vibe.

So I'm still predominantly using CDs - I like the randomness they introduce because I can never find the right one in time - supplemented by a USB stick and a cheap Chromebook for emergency Spotify songs.

At some point I know I'll have to get rid of the CDs but there's something about seeing the tracks printed out the and the sometimes odd combinations I've burnt together that I think can take away some of the predictability of scrolling on a laptop.

Can I politely ask, didn’t you used to do Web Design? It still says that elsewhere on Urban75.
Working for yourself can be difficult, and I wish you all the best. Urban75 is well designed, I think most would agree.

I've a question I wonder if anyone has had experience with...
One of the problems that arise with controllers is what if subsequent djs want to use the same controller from a USB stick.
Some controllers have two USB ports for exactly this reason.
usb.png
If a controller has only one USB port, and presumable some kind of display from which to see what files are on it, can you plug in a multi USB adaptor and will it recognise it and the different directories
Opera Snapshot_2024-01-14_143139_www.google.com.png

I've a question I wonder if anyone has had experience with...
One of the problems that arise with controllers is what if subsequent djs want to use the same controller from a USB stick.
Some controllers have two USB ports for exactly this reason.
View attachment 408256
If a controller has only one USB port, and presumable some kind of display from which to see what files are on it, can you plug in a multi USB adaptor and will it recognise it and the different directories
View attachment 408255
I’d guess that’s very much down to how the manufacturer has implemented things.

not really .... the amount of top tier producers who dont use macs is endless
and software that separates out the tracks is of course available on windows
Sort of depends. If you’re recording a 24 piece orchestra you don’t want the computer to suddenly decide to do a virus scan. That was always the benefit of Mac over Windows.

Actually it did change with 3D work when renderers could use GPU and how powerful the NVidia cards are now. People jumped. But now we’re way off topic.
I’ll see if there’s anything that’s Windows compatible. Interested to see how it deals with crossover frequencies.

Back
Top Bottom