Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

David Starkey On Newsnight....

And now he goes on TV denouncıng the youth for theır 'completely false' dıalect.

Hypocrısy thy name ıs Starkey.

Yup.
Still, I expect he's one of those rather crass people who believe that learning elocution has nothing in common with learning a local dialect or youthspeak. After all, he was trading up, and sees white working class people who speak an urban dialect as "trading down".

The late, great Rabbi Hugo Gryn had it right when he told Starkey that for all his learning he'd always be a boor.

It would be disingenuous to pretend that the phenomenon that O'Neill points to doesn't exist. And the thing is that the way of speaking he highlights is fake even when black kids do it.

The first part might be true, but to associate it with black culture is fucking moronic. You might say "a lot of young people are twats" and go on to suggest it is because they listen to crap music, swapping twat for black and crap for black in that sentence is presumably what many people object to, as it is pretty obviously right-wing hyperbole.

The difference is that R&B and punk didn't usually glorify murder and rape as does some of the 'Gangsta' shit.

Yeah, "I am an Anarchist" did so much good for the ideology, and preached that we should all live in a society of mutual co-operation rather than competition. Where have those days gone?

The first part might be true, but to associate it with black culture is fucking moronic. You might say "a lot of young people are twats and suggest it is because they listen to crap music", swapping twat for black and crap for black in that sentence is presumably what many people object to, as it is pretty obviously right-wing hyperbole.

Yeah, "I am an Anarchist" did so much good for the ideology, and preached that we should all live in a society of mutual co-operation rather than competition. Where have those days gone?
It was reflecting for fucks sake. What ideology? A very confused post there.

The first part might be true, but to associate it with black culture is fucking moronic. You might say "a lot of young people are twats" and go on to suggest it is because they listen to crap music, swapping twat for black and crap for black in that sentence is presumably what many people object to, as it is pretty obviously right-wing hyperbole.

It isn't anything to do with black culture, as I pointed out-the kind of accent the little white morons mimic is fake even when it comes from little black morons.

I don't think the 'anarchy' Johnny Rotten had in mind had anything to do with 'a society of mutual co-operation,' but the fact remains that most other forms of popular music haven't usually glorified murder and the ill treatment of women, gays etc like much 'Gangsta' shite does.

I don't think the 'anarchy' Johnny Rotten had in mind had anything to do with 'a society of mutual co-operation,' but the fact remains that most other forms of popular music haven't usually glorified murder and the ill treatment of women, gays etc like much 'Gangsta' shite does.

Yeah right. So the song in which the singer compares his lover to a toy, invites the listener to take a feel, and threatens to imprison her in a box out of jealousy, isn't dodgy at all *. Have you listened to ANY traditional folk, blues, early rock and roll...

The history of popular music is littered with sexism of the very worst kind, and references to just about every form of violence imaginable. Admittedly you have to know the euphemisms when it comes to folk or blues, but what the hell did you think "jelly roll" is, or what "wearing green" entails? That doesn't justify the violence and misogyny in much "gangsta rap", but it's most certainly nothing unique or even new.

* Living Doll

never liked starkey, the idiot royalist. but he really did go all out on newsnight, didn't he?
and like an absolute cunt, shouting everyone else down so he, a perennial media whore, could have his say YET AGAIN.

what he said, plus the way he said it....:rolleyes::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::mad::mad:
lynch the motherfucker

Isn't he a sort of professional twat though, like that sweary chef bloke?
he had a sudden surge in credibility after the 'jamie's school' tv series. he apparently managed to get some boys to show an interest in the more violent aspects of history, and suddenly he's a dr spock for teenagers. or he was until this appearance..

Yeah right. So the song in which the singer compares his lover to a toy, invites the listener to take a feel, and threatens to imprison her in a box out of jealousy, isn't dodgy at all *. Have you listened to ANY traditional folk, blues, early rock and roll...

The history of popular music is littered with sexism of the very worst kind, and references to just about every form of violence imaginable. Admittedly you have to know the euphemisms when it comes to folk or blues, but what the hell did you think "jelly roll" is, or what "wearing green" entails? That doesn't justify the violence and misogyny in much "gangsta rap", but it's most certainly nothing unique or even new.

* Living Doll

Who are you, Paul Gambaccini?

I'm well aware of all the commonplaces you've just tried to put me right about, but, as I said, the fact remains that murder, ill-treatment of women and gays and so on, and a 'gangsta's' lifestyle, has never been as systematically expounded and glorified as it is in gangsta rap.

It isn't anything to do with black culture, as I pointed out-the kind of accent the little white morons mimic is fake even when it comes from little black morons.

Are you falling into a trap of thinking that the 'patois' Starkey referred to is actually something that has been 'copied' from somewhere else?

By definition a patios is not copied, it is organic and evolves. What Starkey was referring to is a Patois of type, some might even call it a dialect, it combines influences from informal and formal language forms from all over England and the world, it reflects the ethnic diversity and the influences of the people that use it.

Are you falling into a trap of thinking that the 'patois' Starkey referred to is actually something that has been 'copied' from somewhere else? It is a Patois of type, some might even call it a dialect, it combines influences from informal and formal language forms from all over England and the world, it reflects the ethnic diversity and the influences of the people that use it.
It's not been copied, it's been constructed here. It's as real as these posts.

From the Thames Festival site.

13.35 – Family Cruises with the creators of Rastamouse, Genevieve Webster and Michael De Souza
Come an' meet da creators of Rastamouse on a crucial cruise boat pon da Thames. Genevieve and Michael will be readin' from one ah dere books an' bustin' some wicked riddims from Da Easy Crew an' more. Get ready to rocksteady an' nice up da place! Irie man!

16.25 – David Starkey
One of Britain's leading historians, David Starkey, takes you on a journey along his favourite stretch of the River Thames. Listen to his insights and knowledge on the sights and sounds of this famous river. David is an author of many best-selling historical books and his television documentaries have received two BAFTA nominations.

He really deserves a lot of shit for this. Everybody knows he's a pundit troll, but he overplayed his hand with that performance.

Are you falling into a trap of thinking that the 'patois' Starkey referred to is actually something that has been 'copied' from somewhere else?

By definition a patios is not copied, it is organic and evolves. What Starkey was referring to is a Patois of type, some might even call it a dialect, it combines influences from informal and formal language forms from all over England and the world, it reflects the ethnic diversity and the influences of the people that use it.

Whatever it is, it's still bollocks when people contrive to use it in place of their real accent. Especially when they're white, the little imbeciles.

The slur against Jamacian patois what particularly disgusting. In fact, it is a dialect that can be used beautifully as anybody familar with the poetry of Linton Kwesi Johnson or the lyrics of Damian Marley will know.

That accent he's referring to is quite different to what's used by older Jamaicans. And, as I said, it's contrived, used in place of people's local dialects.

Whatever it is, it's still bollocks when people contrive to use it in place of their real accent. Especially when they're white, the little imbeciles.
'Their real accent'? You are missing the point. For most...it is their real accent, it's the dialect they speak. It is not copied. It is a pastiche, that is what Patois' are.

That accent he's referring to is quite different to what's used by older Jamaicans. And, as I said, it's contrived, used in place of people's local dialects.

The accent/dialect/patois he is refering to is different to older Jamaicans because it's not Jamaican patois. You are making the same mistake as he has.

'Their real accent'? You are missing the point. For most...it is their real accent, it's the dialect they speak. It is not copied.

No it isn't. There are white kids- and black kids-who grow up speaking with the same accent as their parents, neighbours and other people of their UK region, and then adopt this ridiculous way of speaking due to fashion and peer pressure etc.

Back
Top Bottom