Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling Track

Disappointemnt I can understand, annoyance seems and odd emotion!

Well, yes. Perhaps not the best choice of words

Edit: Although I find disappointment an odd emotion. More of a 'fuck it' then an 'oh well'.

Anyway, under the new rules, the individual sprint isnt really a fair contest of who is best in world. Well best in world fair enough, but is anyone behind Kenny really wirthy of their place? If Hoy had been there its almost certain he would have medalled. The jamaicans werent limited to just one entrant in the 100metres on the track were they!

Anyway, under the new rules, the individual sprint isnt really a fair contest of who is best in world. Well best in world fair enough, but is anyone behind Kenny really wirthy of their place? If Hoy had been there its almost certain he would have medalled. The jamaicans werent limited to just one entrant in the 100metres on the track were they!

Iirc, it's something to do with numbers of competitors being limited across *all* cycling. SO includes RR, TT BMX MTB etc

Just watched Kenny's winning round. Bloody hell...

I swear, I couldn't even move my legs that fast, letalone generate the power needed. If you strapped my feet to the pedals and had the pedals turn at that speed independently, my legs would break.

Mighty impressive stuff.

The 'devil' is the one track event I enjoy riding. Most of the other trackies I know love it the best too...that and the madison.

It would be good for cycling's image if both were Olympic medal events.
I'm sorry but the pursuit makes me drift off sometimes.

If the pursuit is a decent contest and the riders are well matched its great. The points race is the one I don't miss from these Olympics. The Madsion is just as baffling as the points race but its a fair bit more entertaining, I remember after Athens everybody came into work the next day and were asking 'did you see the madison?'. When you generate that amount of interest in the general public its silly to cap it off to keep the Kierin in.

If the pursuit is a decent contest and the riders are well matched its great. The points race is the one I don't miss from these Olympics. The Madsion is just as baffling as the points race but its a fair bit more entertaining, I remember after Athens everybody came into work the next day and were asking 'did you see the madison?'. When you generate that amount of interest in the general public its silly to cap it off to keep the Kierin in.

Funnily enough I'm the complete opposite. Don't mind the Points Race (as far as track events go), go and find something else to do when the Madison is on.

I've a bad feeling Meares might take the gold but hopefully Guo will rough her up on the semis and at least take it to three rides.

Stupid question that I won't be asking Mark Cavendish: why do some bikes have two solid wheels, but some have a solid back wheel and a front wheel with, um, holes?

Solid wheels are stiffer and more aero - but they're heavier and slower to turn on a bike with track geometry. For going up against the clock go solid, when you need to manoeuvre go spoked. A solid back is a good halfway house as they're better at turning effort into speed cos of the stiffness but they don't need to steer. They also carry a bit more inertia so give you a flywheel effect. does this help?

Solid wheels are stiffer and more aero - but they're heavier and slower to turn on a bike with track geometry. For going up against the clock go solid, when you need to manoeuvre go spoked. A solid back is a good halfway house as they're better at turning effort into speed cos of the stiffness but they don't need to steer. They also carry a bit more inertia so give you a flywheel effect. does this help?

I'd imagine solid wheels aren't so clever in a cross-wind - obviously not a bother indoors, but useful to bear in mind when taking your carbon fibre trackbike down the shops.

Also, they'd be a mare to get the D-lock through.

Cheers :)
They also carry a bit more inertia so give you a flywheel effect. does this help?
Um, wut?

should also add that a solid front is banned for road TTs - if a gust of wind catches it you're in the ditch. For road racing disc wheels are also banned front or rear, the UCI have decreed wheels must be spoked and have a minimum spoke count (16 I think). My brother does triathlon and reckons the sound of a solid disc wheel coming up behind a rival gives an advantage, they kind of sound like a turbine and make a unique sound.

for disc wheels you can't beat this picture!

francesco-moser-indoor-hour-record-21-05-1988-stuttgart.jpg

Back
Top Bottom