Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cycling Track

That would kill innovation and discourage kit sponsorship. Competitors' income would be reduced, giving an even bigger advantage to squads which have state funding.

Meh. Much of the advantage of state fundings come from the spending power in R&D.

Meh. Much of the advantage of state fundings come from the spending power in R&D.
I think velodromes and coaches and athletes not needing a day job makes rather more of a difference than a tiny improvement in the aerodynamics of the kit.

I think velodromes and coaches and athletes not needing a day job makes rather more of a difference than a tiny improvement in the aerodynamics of the kit.

possibly, but given that the entire philosophy of BC is one of marginal gains then it obviously has some effect. Christ, Wiggins reckons his skinsuit is worth 2 seconds per km.

At the risk of getting involved in argument that has nothing to do with me, the velodrome is largely a commonwealth dominion. The French (for example) have a strong history in sprinting, but they don't have a full track program to the same extent as for eg GB, Aus etc. Gather things may be changing, but road has always been the main focus.

That may well be true - however the (flawed) assertion is 'big track programme = big medal haul' in the rest of the world- hasn't happened. The original point is who is a threat to GB at this Olympics....the answer is nobody, but I don't see Aus running them a close second across the board (as may be said of the Track Worlds and Cup).

That may well be true - however the (flawed) assertion is 'big track programme = big medal haul' in the rest of the world- hasn't happened. The original point is who is a threat to GB at this Olympics....the answer is nobody, but I don't see Aus running them a close second across the board (as may be said of the Track Worlds and Cup).

No doubt. Although the Australians are having a bit of a mare all round these Olympics.

My stepping in was less to support the assertion that it would only be Aus and GB winning medals, and more that they are the two (in particular) who focus on the track. Even the Belgians don't much care beyond 6 day races. And they barely care about those these days.

Thats valid, but its a not what the argument was about!

In that case ignore me. I thought both points were being argued over, but obviously wasn't paying attention. Anyway, I'm off to browse the stage profiles for Tour de L'ain and la Vuelta.

The film is also not bad, but the book is better. I'll lend it to you if you want!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...n-the-bath-and-made-from-an-old-saucepan.html

The film, and the mid 90s documentary are his rivalry with Boardman aren't a patch on the book. Flying Scotsman is a jaw dropping read, the film sanitised the story and took all the edges off. He was of course totally stitched up by the UCI in the end when his superman position was adopted en masse by the top pursuiters...then banned. His achievement in cycling is like Dagenham and Redbridge winning the champions league.

The interesting thing is that he never patented either of his positions. He could have made a mint off the back of the superman.

Hard to do if you were a multinational sports company, impossible for a marmalade sandwich eating unemployed dreamer / cyclist / engineer. He did start to make special superman bars before in his shed before Hein Verbruggen decided Obree wasn't part of the gang. That lead to another bout of depression for Obree...

Here's the link to the VCDL Obree Podcast....utterly amazing stuff. He is Yoda like in his correction of the interviewer who asks 'when you thought you'd try for the hour record...' 'No, there is no try.'

http://veloclubdonlogan.co.uk/2011/02/16/vcdl-episode-9-–-obree/

The film, and the mid 90s documentary are his rivalry with Boardman aren't a patch on the book. Flying Scotsman is a jaw dropping read, the film sanitised the story and took all the edges off. He was of course totally stitched up by the UCI in the end when his superman position was adopted en masse by the top pursuiters...then banned. His achievement in cycling is like Dagenham and Redbridge winning the champions league.

Yeah, totally amazing. Probably my all time cycling hero (in fact probably one of my all time heroes full stop.) I really hope the dark days are behind him - he certainly seems a lot more comfortable with himself now. This latest world record stuff doesn't seem to have as much intensity and need driving it as the different hour attempts (especially the most recent, abortive, one.)

Just compare how he approached the hour to how Moser or Boardman did - and add in that he did it all with hardly any backing and rode it twice in 2 days on kit he designed and built himself. He's unique. One of a kind.

I'll listen to that podcast tomorrow in between feeds and being dragged off to do jigsaws. ;)

No doubt. Although the Australians are having a bit of a mare all round these Olympics.

lovin it :D

The ignominy of their gold medal count has been too much - so the Aussies have invented the rogue nation of "Aus Zealand".

For the first time since the 1912 Olympics in Stockholm, where the trans-Tasman rivals joined forces as Australasia, the countries are united again - at least according to Sydney's Daily Telegraph newspaper.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/7425117/Aus-Zealand-currently-ninth-on-medal-tally

Kenny will take it easily. I will get annoyed. Until I remember that Bauge served a ban for three failed whereabout-a-ma-bobs.

Did he? I don't know much about him but he looks like a bit of a beast, I get the impression he was always going to be Kenny's nearest competitor

Did the commentator just say that the leading woman was competing with 'the whore of Belgium'??!! :eek:

Did he? I don't know much about him but he looks like a bit of a beast, I get the impression he was always going to be Kenny's nearest competitor

Yeah. One of those cases that dragged out for months through CAS. Was stripped of a WC as a result.

Funnily enough, I think it's because of him that Kenny got the nod ahead of Hoy.

Yeah. One of those cases that dragged out for months through CAS. Was stripped of a WC as a result.

Funnily enough, I think it's because of him that Kenny got the nod ahead of Hoy.

Didn't Kenny beat him once by going more or less straight from the gun and Bauge was too bulky to keep the pace?

Back
Top Bottom