Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Croydon - nightlife, accommodation, things to do and general chat

We drove past the jack outside the Rose & Crown earlier. Can't believe I'm missing it again. Would much rather be wending my way round local pubs and having a laugh than what I'm actually doing.

I feel like the jack/giant tiered straw trifle has shrunk a bit? Missing a top layer! Maybe it's not been a great year for straw?

This is not Croydon btw :mad:

I feel like the jack/giant tiered straw trifle has shrunk a bit? Missing a top layer! Maybe it's not been a great year for straw?

This is not Croydon btw :mad:
True, but Eastern LB Sutton is pretty much functionally part of Greater Croydon, and if we had a dedicated thread about Sutton there’d be about 3 posts a year. So, let us play and treat it as a compliment to the big bad city in the East😃

I'm pleasantly surprised to see the number of young'uns who made it out for the day. Anyhow, if you make it to the Hope I'm sat with the missus out back in a blue and white floral print shirt.
Unfortunately have had to duck out before the Hope, but enjoy! Watch out for that 7.5% Eternity stuff they've got :eek:

Love the Oval.

Is the Builders Arms good? I've never drunk there, but used to deliver their mail, and it looked nice.

Love the Oval.

Is the Builders Arms good? I've never drunk there, but used to deliver their mail, and it looked nice.

I've not been in for a while but it used to be a nice pub with food and a garden. It was fullers though and the beers were not to my taste but not sure what happening now as I believe Fullers have sold the pub. Should probably pop in to see what's happening.

Love the Oval.

I think that was always my go to rather than the Oval. Both being roughly two minutes walk from my house but as the Builders was closer maybe that was the only reason. I never really hung out that much in pubs in Croydon. I've been in there when the Morris dancers came by a couple of times, so I can't have been that much of a stranger. Builders, Cricketers (up the other end of my street), Oval are all decent enough. I used to like the Glamorgan to some extent too.
Bit further away but that one on Surrey street by the market was also a favorite.

Move over jay rayner
For anyone that cares a basic Smacks cheeseburger is the best on that list but I miss brgr&beer, some local lads that set up a burger restaurant in Matthews Yard many years ago. Their burgers were lush.

I have quite a soft spot for the Porter. In the best way, it is a fantastically shit pub :D Not somewhere you'd arrange to meet new friends for a quiet catch up, but definitely somewhere you might end up with mates enjoying the chaotic vibe.
Used to go there with older colleagues who could properly down Directors; have fallen out of the door on more than one occasion after trying to match them pint for pint. :D

Is the Porter and Sorter bearable?
I have not been for years. I used to pop in on the way home from the stations when I absolutely had to have one more beer.
I don't remember it being all that dreadful when nobody else was there. I don't think I enjoyed it when it was full of people. It's not where I would choose to go for a relaxing sit down any time of the day.

Back
Top Bottom