Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doing London things you've never done

One thing we keep meaning to do but never get around to it is one of dem Big Bus tours :)

We always do similar when we visit a new city for the first time, gives a good perspective of a City layout.

We nearly done one in November but got drunk in a pub up Piccadilly instead.

Even tho' there's no reason we need to do it we will do it one day.
I've done that after a fashion, taking afternoon tea on one, does that count?
We have done one of those Duck Tours things where it covers land and river. It was fun.
Did you need rescuing? Mrs Tag used to work near the river and frequently saw them being towed out.

Reactions: tim
Mousetrap did take me years to get round to, and I thought it was rather disappointing.

I have never had afternoon tea at the Ritz and I would like to. Had their little tea book as a teenager, I flipped through it last time I visited my parents.
I haven't been to all underground stations - wanted to make notes of where there aren't any gates and then draw up a map.
Before last month I hadn't been to all of Borough market, I'd seen about half of it and thought that was all. It blew my mind (and a hole in my wallet).

i've been to london zoo (again, not entirely my choice - was with others who wanted to go) and also chessington when it was just a zoo (can't remember much about it or why we went - may have been some sort of other event as well)
I used to often pop in the zoo after a lunchtime tipple. If meeting peeps from outside town I would take then to the Elephants Head in Camden & then go and go for a smoke in the park. Once they were suitably stoned would take them to see the real elephants when they were any in the zoo. Pretty easy to climb over the fence near the bridge over the canal. Happily there are very few large animals there now.

I lived at the top of Parkway on the edge of the park for a couple of years & it used to freak out people staying to hear the wolves howling, that was when there was a wolf enclosure. Now thankfully a lot of the larger animals have been moved to more suitable zoos.

When I went the vehicle was full of the elderly who insisted on the floppy plastic windows being tied down. The problem was that the windows were so scratched and dirty that it was hard to see any thing and it was still freezing.

Have done most of these but not Buckingham Palace and wouldn't go to Mme Tussauds again if you paid me (went when I was about 15 on a family day trip to London).

OK. Did anyone ever go to The Dome when it was The Dome, rather than the O2?

I did and it was crap.
Yes because Greenwich council gave residents free tickets. I quite liked it, especially the aerial/acrobatic show. But it was compensation for basically putting residents under house arrest for several days over the millenium new year. Main roads were closed, we were the trapped plebs, whilst the chosen ones partied at the dome.

I’ve never been to Borough Market despite being a bit of a foodwanker, if we’re talking nightlife, never went to Fabric.

I used to often pop in the zoo after a lunchtime tipple. If meeting peeps from outside town I would take then to the Elephants Head in Camden & then go and go for a smoke in the park. Once they were suitably stoned would take them to see the real elephants when they were any in the zoo. Pretty easy to climb over the fence near the bridge over the canal. Happily there are very few large animals there now.

I lived at the top of Parkway on the edge of the park for a couple of years & it used to freak out people staying to hear the wolves howling, that was when there was a wolf enclosure. Now thankfully a lot of the larger animals have been moved to more suitable zoos.

One of the eeriest episodes of my life was in Hannover zoo. We were beside the wolf enclosure when, as a single animal, they all put their heads back and howled. Haunting sound. Good Zoo Hannover, at the entrance they had parrots on perches, took you a moment to realise they weren't tied down, they could have left, but didn't.

Back
Top Bottom