Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Doing London things you've never done

Is that the big steakhouse/s near Leicester Square? The steak was delicious; more a danger to your wallet than tastebuds.
There were a load of them in central London. All their customers looked like slightly desperate tourists. Did they not go bust and 'reinvent' themselves as restaurants with a very similar name and the exact same decor? Or am I imagining that?

Sorry Magnus McGinty :(

There were a load of them in central London. All their customers looked like slightly desperate tourists. Did they not go bust and 'reinvent' themselves as restaurants with a very similar name and the exact same decor? Or am I imagining that?

Sorry Magnus McGinty :(
It’s not somewhere I frequent tbh but I had a celebratory steak fillet cooked rare with onion and tomato salad upon my return to London following a broken ankle injury and when it was still a bit the Day after Tomorrow in London in June 2020. Tasted nice.

Reactions: Sue
I love the Woolwich ferry, you get a great view of the Thames Barrier and the river itself is beautiful from most angles! And it's free! Don't go at the weekend though, it only runs Monday to Friday.
Went through the tunnel once and I don't recall much about it other than it being a bit scary by myself, and trying to make it through as quickly as possible.

didn't know they had stopped running it at weekends. they seem to be down to one boat at the moment, so the weekend service will probably come back some time.

the whole thing's been a bit of a shitshow with the new boats / ongoing industrial action for some time.

gratuitous link to photos of previous and current generation of ferry

One thing we keep meaning to do but never get around to it is one of dem Big Bus tours :)

We always do similar when we visit a new city for the first time, gives a good perspective of a City layout.

We nearly done one in November but got drunk in a pub up Piccadilly instead.

Even tho' there's no reason we need to do it we will do it one day.

One thing we keep meaning to do but never get around to it is one of dem Big Bus tours :)

they are bloody expensive - there's a few operators out there, but looks like they start north of 25 quid a go...

(that's another london thing i've never done)

We always do similar when we visit a new city for the first time, gives a good perspective of a City layout.

We nearly done one in November but got drunk in a pub up Piccadilly instead.

Even tho' there's no reason we need to do it we will do it one day.

We've been promising Mini Fire to go on one of those for 6 years now at least. (She is 10).

It has now transmogrified into us promising to have her 18th birthday party on one.

We have done one of those Duck Tours things where it covers land and river. It was fun.

I would have been all over that but they closed the slipway at Vauxhall. :(

The Dublin one is meant to be great crack, Mini Fire loved that as well.

We have done one of those Duck Tours things where it covers land and river. It was fun.

I never quite got round to that.

It was all quite complicated, as the DUKWs had to be licensed both as buses and boats (and drivers appropriately licensed as well)

didn't know they had stopped running it at weekends. they seem to be down to one boat at the moment, so the weekend service will probably come back some time.

the whole thing's been a bit of a shitshow with the new boats / ongoing industrial action for some time.

gratuitous link to photos of previous and current generation of ferry
I think not running at the weekends is a temporary thing. When I last went on it a couple of weeks ago there were 2 boats running which is great as it's a bit like watching a dance (synchronised ferrying LOL :D ) but I know sometimes they only have one running, not sure when or if they'll get back to a full service.

And the rest!

most basic on TOOTbus * £ 26.35 for a one day ticket listed on the website today.

they probably charge a bit more in summer season and there's options that include walking tours, river boat ride and so on as well.

* - that's the ones in a union jack sort of colour scheme, now owned by french state RATPDev, they bought it a few years ago from german state arriva...

I’ve run the London marathon route… in reverse, going from the Mall back to Blackheath starting around 3am the night before the race.

Quite fun as the roads start to be closed overnight and the racing line is marked on the road.

the london sightseeing tour was 2 shillings and sixpence a go when they started it in 1951

9868535_0.jpg

they didn't start using open top buses until about the early 70s

Back
Top Bottom