Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

How often do you want to say 'have you heard of headphones?' each day on the Tube?

On the Tube/train mostly I just think "kids being kids, leave 'em be". But then you run into the 40-somethings doing the same, who obviously didn't get told off by people like me when they were kids. So maybe I have to revisit my live and let live policy.

I dont know how you all do it. Well I suspect I'd have discovered noise cancelling headphones earlier but it blows my mind.

I had a lady older then me watching some shit on tik tok at the gym the other day, it was even 6 in the morning. Wtf is wrong with these people.

I don’t know if it’s just me who seems unable to get Bluetooth headphones to work properly (even some wired ones I have often won’t work in my phone perhaps because it goes in via the battery charger not the sadly missed headphone jack)

Not saying this is the reason for speaker phones everywhere but it’s certainly been made harder to use cheap standard headphones. The ones that go in your ear seem expensive and don’t seem to work very well in my experience (battery seemed to be a dud)
these and this brand have been fantastic for me. hardy, last years, and great quality. just about within my budget. massive fan of jlo headphones.

I was in Japan recently with my family. People were sooooo quiet on the tube and trains. My kids kept telling me and my partner off for chatting - at a low level I must add.... I didn't see a single person even take a phone call on public transport, let alone play music etc out loud.... It was very pleasant.

I was in Japan recently with my family. People were sooooo quiet on the tube and trains. My kids kept telling me and my partner off for chatting - at a low level I must add.... I didn't see a single person even take a phone call on public transport, let alone play music etc out loud.... It was very pleasant.
my mum and dad were big on this as a kid if i was benig noisey around people. "quiet a bit, there's people around." i am definitely like this with my kids. same with running around where people are sat such as resturant, etc."sit down, be quieter, there's people trying to enjoy x, y, and z." must be a fascist or something.

my mum and dad were big on this as a kid if i was benig noisey around people. "quiet a bit, there's people around." i am definitely like this with my kids. same with running around where people are sat such as resturant, etc."sit down, be quieter, there's people trying to enjoy x, y, and z." must be a fascist or something.
This is basic parenting and nothing new and no things aren't getting worse now. You lot would've gone mad in the age of the transistor radio!

That is an article from 2006.
I know you’re a human but you come across like a bot sometimes.
What are you for, exactly?

Pfft. Like no one has ever had the headphones not plugged in properly and just upped the volume enough to hear it from the phone speakers, through the headphones. :(

Pfft. Like no one has ever had the headphones not plugged in properly and just upped the volume enough to hear it from the phone speakers, through the headphones. :(
This is my nightmare, I'm always checking to make sure the sound is comming though my headphones.

I dont know how you all do it. Well I suspect I'd have discovered noise cancelling headphones earlier but it blows my mind.

I had a lady older then me watching some shit on tik tok at the gym the other day, it was even 6 in the morning. Wtf is wrong with these people.

People shouldn't need to have noise-cancelling headphones on at all times.

When I see autistic people in those oversized headphones I have very mixed feelings about it. For one thing I'm happy we have this technology that helps people exist in their environment, but at the same time I'm just heartbroken that they're necessary in so many spaces in the first place. And so much of the noise serves no purpose at all. It's music playing in shops for no reason, car and motorbike engines that are deliberately loud so the sad cunts driving them can feel important, and it's endless mindless gibberish spewing from a thousand phone speakers.

I'm resistant to noise cancelling headphones because they take away my awareness of my surroundings, which is something I actually enjoy having. But it's a choice between losing awareness and losing calm, and it really shouldn't be. Other people should be able to shut the fuck up for thirty seconds at a stretch. Again it's an absolute slap in the face that autistic folk are labelled as the ones lacking empathy, rather than people with zero awareness of the fact that they're ina space with other people who might not need or want to hear every fucking thought in their head.

This is probably gonna be one of those posts that doesn't make a lot of sense if I read it back but fuck it.

I commute every day and use all public transport, and I've lived in London my entire life. My perspective is that, especially after COVID, it's become a very quiet city. It's verging on mellow. The energy has changed a lot.
I doubt that TfL have suddenly solved the squeaking brakes issue it was plagued with - and that we received thousands of complaints about - in the last 10 years or so. It doesn't have the money. Also if you're not autistic then you really can't comment on the experiences of autistic people. I have been back to London a couple of times, and used the tube, and found it as intolerable as I did in 2020. If you need to have the last word in this go ahead.

The tube is ridiculously loud. I understand it will be worse for ND but I can't manage without earplugs and you do see people wincing.

it's come to pass

I saw one of these being filmed in a park. It was fucking obvious it was for the telly as they had the regular massive full size TV camera, sound man and a couple of crew only a few meters in front of him. He was there doing a few versions for quite a while, so everyone knew what he was up to.

Apart from occasional screeching brakes, the rush of a tube train in a tunnel is glorious white noise drowning hideous humans out and until tfl wifi started it was one of the few places I'd take my headphones off for a bit. Ruined by selfish cunts and their phones now.

Im experiencing this now. People could make calls using the ear piece thing on their phone rather than using their bloody speakers to make calls 😡

Amazing one of the Tech bros can't devise a noise cancelling feature designed to target the tinny range of frequencies that come out of other people's mobiles.

Amazing one of the Tech bros can't devise a noise cancelling feature designed to target the tinny range of frequencies that come out of other people's mobiles.

IME noise cancelling works pretty well with bassy sounds but on the train that just means cutting out all noise that might help drown out the phone speaker bullshit, and so actually makes it worse.

Yep. I've found the best option is either put the headphones on but don't turn them on, or put them on and listen to music.

I saw one of these being filmed in a park. It was fucking obvious it was for the telly as they had the regular massive full size TV camera, sound man and a couple of crew only a few meters in front of him. He was there doing a few versions for quite a while, so everyone knew what he was up to.

did the massive telephone also break the immersion a little :hmm:

Yep. I've found the best option is either put the headphones on but don't turn them on, or put them on and listen to music.

For the worst phone-speaker music the only thing I've found that cuts it out is a noise generator, which I now have an app for thanks to an excellent recommendation from someone on here.

Back
Top Bottom