Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Can you name all the Tube, Overground and DLR stops?

I started on the northern line, got from morden to tooting bec - but it won't accept tooting bec, presumably the station's had a name change? So I'm done, it looks long and I suspect being 10+ years away I'll struggle with the new bits anyway :facepalm:
I had something similar where it refused to take Blackhorse Road. I put it away for a while, came back and it took it. I spent years on the Northern Line, so it's annoying there are 3 (all north) I can't get.

I'm sure it was user error tbh, I feel a bit user errory this evening.

I'm sure I won't be able to leave it for long :D

I spent years on the Northern Line, so it's annoying there are 3 (all north) I can't get.

west finchley
was the only northern line station i didn't get.

and what's more annoying about it is that
it's geographically east of finchley central station

Reactions: Chz
I'm not sure that Dollis Hill exists. I have never been to Dollis Hill. I have never met anyone claiming to live or have been born there. Pictures of it on the internet look suspiciously generic.

This may apply to other parts of London as well, of course.
Dollis Hill station was well-known to many an activist in 1977, because it was adjacent to Grunwick, site of the famous strike.

I can, with hand on heart say, nary a one

Current train knowledge would be:-

Castle Cary - some stations - Paddington

I had never heard of Castle Cary until I saw your post.
Imagine if that bear had got off the train there. He would be known as Castle Cary Bear.
It's my "local" station. I think it's a 20'odd mile round trip

I bet I can name every train station in Devon though.

Barnstaple
Chapelton *
Umberleigh
Portsmouth Arms *
Kings Nympton *
Eggesford
Lapford *
Morchard Road *
Copplestone
Yeoford *
Crediton
Newton St. Cyres *
Exeter St Davids
Exeter Central
St James Park
Polsloe Bridge
Digby and Sowton
Newcourt
Topsham
Exton *
Lympstone Commando *
Lympstone Village
Exmouth
Pinhoe
Cranbrook
Feniton
Whimple
Honiton
Axminster
Exeter St Thomas
Marsh Barton
Starcross
Dawlish Warren
Dawlish
Teignmouth
Newton Abbot
Torre
Torquay
Paignton
Kingswear
Totnes
Ivybridge
Plymouth
Devonport
Dockyard
Keyham
St Budeaux
Bere Alston
Bere Ferrers
Okehampton
Tiverton Parkway

*request stops

Defunct stations which regular services pass through but never stop at include Churston Ferrers, Sampfrod Courtenay and Bow.

Chapelton is Devon's least popular railway station.

This is fucking superb, I've got over 20% in 10 minutes, I should be in bed I might have to leave it and come back to it - good fun, thanks for posting the link

I'm realising there's a lot of London that has no relevance for me.
I doubt I could name all of them - particularly the lines I don't use that much - I used to live in Zone 4 and travel in and out everyday - but Zone 2 means I don't have to worry about that sort of nonsense anymore

I've been up for hours doing this, I've had no sleep, I'm shattered and I hate everyone.

I think even when I go to bed I'm going to be staring at the ceiling muttering "but I used that route every day for 10 years" :D

I went for a 'complete one Underground line' challenge instead, and I couldn't even do the Victoria Line, the one I travel most regularly :(

That and the Drain are the only ones I finished. Down to two or three on most Underground lines, but way off on DLR and Overground. But there is the whole east end of the District, bar Upminster, that's empty.

I used to go through customer reports on the DLR and Overground Lines. I should know all of them, but I don't. Brain is decaying already....

I've got just over 50% which doesn't feel bad seeing I haven't lived in London for well over a decade. I'm never going to remember, because I never knew, those distant eastern and western corners of the Central and District lines, beyond the odd terminus.

Gave up at 41.9%

Scored high in central london, and outer bits I used to use.

like most people, I expect.
Had another bash (it remembers you) and pushed it up to 51.9%. I'll take that given we moved away nearly 20 years ago.

Having grown up in the Thames Valley, the western bit of the lizard line was a doddle. Absolutelyy no idea of the eastern end though. 55% - 75% on most lines, average dragged down by Overground and DLR

I confess by the end i was randomly adding points of the compass to places I'd got, and just entering names of places in London.

I tried this yesterday on my mobile but struggled looking at the map. On the PC today and I'm up to 55% but there are great swathes of north west and north east London I haven't a clue about.

I guess that's not bad from someone who doesn't actually live in London.

Also, I didn't realise there were so many stations on the DLR!

confess by the end i was randomly adding points of the compass to places I'd got, and just entering names of places in London.
Totally valid tactic, especially if you remember there's a place called Acton.

Edit: A new day helps the memory a bit, but I'm going to call quits at 80%.There are still some I should know, but we're getting to where I never knew the majority of what's left.
Screenshot_20231023-154123.png

Last edited:
Had another bash (it remembers you) and pushed it up to 51.9%. I'll take that given we moved away nearly 20 years ago.

Having grown up in the Thames Valley, the western bit of the lizard line was a doddle. Absolutelyy no idea of the eastern end though. 55% - 75% on most lines, average dragged down by Overground and DLR

I confess by the end i was randomly adding points of the compass to places I'd got, and just entering names of places in London.
That last bit is where I'm at.

Also, there's a place in London called 'so and so', perhaps there's a station there! :D

For some reason I was reading about the tube challenge, where you have to visit every station within a day - you start when the tube starts (is that about 5am?) and have to visit them all by the end of services (maybe 1am-ish?) Despite the new tubes , it can still be done - Takes about 18 hours, there is some walking/running between stations - I get the feeling that the folk who do this, could name every station pretty easily.

For some reason I was reading about the tube challenge, where you have to visit every station within a day - you start when the tube starts (is that about 5am?) and have to visit them all by the end of services (maybe 1am-ish?) Despite the new tubes , it can still be done - Takes about 18 hours, there is some walking/running between stations - I get the feeling that the folk who do this, could name every station pretty easily.
they chant them as they run between stations

I haven't spoken to him in years, but used to know Geoff Marshall who has held the record a few times. There's no question that he could name every Underground station, but I'm not sure the DLR and Overground ever captured his imagination quite as much. You know the sort of person - they have very specific likes and dislikes, and stuff that falls outside the area of interest may as well not exist.

Back
Top Bottom