Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

If anyone wants a whole load of spools as well, I'll post them out to you. I'm never going to need this many and they don't fit my new machine anyway.20240822_080037.jpg20240822_080135.jpg20240822_080121.jpg
2cm diameter, 1 cm height

I've had a late grandma's sewing box knocking around for ooooh at least 15 years I'd say. One of those multi-compartment cantilevered ones.
Anyway, I've finally got round to clearing it out.

Anyone know what these are?

View attachment 439106View attachment 439107
I would use the metal ones for threading elastic, although that may not be their original purpose.

I don't think the other is for lace as you would need a lot more than one.

If anyone wants a whole load of spools as well, I'll post them out to you. I'm never going to need this many and they don't fit my new machine anyway.View attachment 439143View attachment 439144View attachment 439145
2cm diameter, 1 cm height
These work with the old Singers. They are the same diameter as modern 'universal 25' ones and you can get away with them on a top loading machine, but not where the spool goes underneath and vertical.

I'd definitely take the white embroidery thread off your hands. I have been roped into running some outdoor sewing sessions, despite my insistence that 'hand sewing is not my thing' and have just bought a book on Sashiko. Are you coming to urbfest?

Attachments

• 1724316243200.png
    1724316243200.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
These work with the old Singers. They are the same diameter as modern 'universal 25' ones and you can get away with them on a top loading machine, but not where the spool goes underneath and vertical.

I'd definitely take the white embroidery thread off your hands. I have been roped into running some outdoor sewing sessions, despite my insistence that 'hand sewing is not my thing' and have just bought a book on Sashiko. Are you coming to urbfest?
I'm going to try to make it to Urbfest but I will be very late as we have a tickets for something else the same evening - which is annoying but can't be helped. If I do make it, it will probably be around midnight into the Dogstar.

I'll happily drop the embroidery thread in the post for you. Send me a PM with your address if that's all right.

I think I'm going to ditch those bobbins. Even if they would work in my machine I can't imagine a time when I will ever need that many! How on earth did she ever end up with that many??

Last edited:
I would use the metal ones for threading elastic, although that may not be their original purpose.

I don't think the other is for lace as you would need a lot more than one.
Great idea on the elastic! and my next dress project has elastic in the sleeves.

A friend asked if I could make something steampunk for a party they're going to.
I'd already had an idea for something a few years ago, and this gave me an excuse do it.
I had some ''steampunk' welding goggles with spikes, so I added some electronics and a bit of trickery, and made infinity goggles.
They're only thrown together loosely, as a proof of concept, but now that they're working I'll tidy it all up and make it remote control from an RF key fob.

View attachment goggles+hat.mp4

A friend asked if I could make something steampunk for a party they're going to.
I'd already had an idea for something a few years ago, and this gave me an excuse do it.
I had some ''steampunk' welding goggles with spikes, so I added some electronics and a bit of trickery, and made infinity goggles.
They're only thrown together loosely, as a proof of concept, but now that they're working I'll tidy it all up and make it remote control from an RF key fob.

View attachment 441667
That's brilliant! I love it.

View attachment 441667
👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

That's fab! What pattern did you use?
Thank you 😊

The pattern is from Puff and Pencil. It's great because you can mix and match with different sleeves.

This is the Spencer Dress + Volume Sleeves. The scarf is my own addition.

Hello artisans ! If you sell your creations, what platform/outlet/market stall do you use ? Pondering selling some things.

View attachment 441667
That is wonderful, I like you imagination :)
A commentary would have been good to go along with your reflection ;):D

Well worth posting though, the scarves are fab. :)

You could sign up for some local Xmas markets as they will make great presents.
Too kind madam, too kind. I was a-musing about a market but that means getting my ass in gear and getting some stock together 😀

Back
Top Bottom