Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Question for the sewers: do you always wash and dry new fabric before cutting out your pattern?

I see this advice all over the Internet. My mum never used to. I never used to but I do remember years ago making a dress out of some insane pink fabric that shrank when I washed it and broke my heart.

Question for the sewers: do you always wash and dry new fabric before cutting out your pattern?

I see this advice all over the Internet. My mum never used to. I never used to but I do remember years ago making a dress out of some insane pink fabric that shrank when I washed it and broke my heart.
The only time have pre-washed, I was making a cover for a futon, it was big piece of fabric and if it shrank just a little bit, it would have ended up too small. It did shrink a bit.

Otherwise no, and I've never had a problem.

Only the quilters pre-wash really.

The only time have pre-washed, I was making a cover for a futon, it was big piece of fabric and if it shrank just a little bit, it would have ended up too small. It did shrink a bit.

Otherwise no, and I've never had a problem.

Only the quilters pre-wash really.
Thank you. Maybe it's more of a thing in America? Just because they tend to dominate the internet.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the encouragement.

And I can't wait to start my next dress. I've actually bought some fabric this time. I'll share it here when it's done.

I generally do prewash, yes. Viscose particularly can shrink significantly.

Dress is awesome, not clown like at all, colours are fab and you can totally wear it out.

I've just made some posh PJs from the Ruffle Brunch Set pattern from the same people, out of an old sheet.

I generally do prewash, yes. Viscose particularly can shrink significantly.

Dress is awesome, not clown like at all, colours are fab and you can totally wear it out.

I've just made some posh PJs from the Ruffle Brunch Set pattern from the same people, out of an old sheet.
Thank you RubyToogood 😊

Hmmm....I might prewash then. I'd be devastated if something shrunk that I'd spent so long making. Never mind the expense. What with the cost of the new machine plus fabric plus cotton plus patterns, paper, sellotape....

It's not about the cost though. It's about a creative outlet and making clothes that I can't buy. I've found some wonderful fabrics at Fabrics Galore on Lavendar Hill. This is my next project. Those colours together make my heart sing 😊

Screenshot_20240809_210049_Samsung Internet.jpg

Thank you RubyToogood 😊

Hmmm....I might prewash then. I'd be devastated if something shrunk that I'd spent so long making. Never mind the expense. What with the cost of the new machine plus fabric plus cotton plus patterns, paper sellotape....

It's not about the cost though. It's about a creative outlet and making clothes that I can't buy. I've found some wonderful fabrics at Fabrics Galore on Lavendar Hill. This is my next project. Those colours together make my heart sing 😊

View attachment 437439
Fabrics Galore are excellent. I've got some jersey with cherries on from there waiting to be turned into a jumpsuit.

I've had a late grandma's sewing box knocking around for ooooh at least 15 years I'd say. One of those multi-compartment cantilevered ones.
Anyway, I've finally got round to clearing it out.

Anyone know what these are?

20240821_215442.jpg20240821_222204.jpg

And buttons! Buttons! Oh my god BUTTONS!! Where could I take all these buttons? Would a school want them? For crafts? Seems a shame to bin them but I honestly can't see me ever using the overwhelming majority of them.

Will happily donate to anyone here who wants them. And that white embroidery thread.

I've had a late grandma's sewing box knocking around for ooooh at least 15 years I'd say. One of those multi-compartment cantilevered ones.

View attachment 439106View attachment 439107

One on the right looks like this:

Maybe it just got stuffed in the wrong bag.

View attachment 439106View attachment 439107

Is the one on the right something to do with making lace?
My nan was a dressmaker and had loads of stuff like this but I'd be lying if I said I knew what it all was :D

Excellent haul of thimbles btw :)

Oh definitely seeing the size I am sticking with my initial "lace thingy" suggestion - it's used to make lace doilies and collars and stuff I think.
Could well be.

I wondered if it was a tool for pushing out seams like when you've made a collar and turn it the right way out. I don't know what that's called.

Ah ok. Well google image search is no use then.
Just a case of scale I think, I've seen pestles that look like that but bigger, although tbf normally not made from wood (maybe a lot bigger for cracking wheat though would be feasible for a wooden implement)

Back
Top Bottom