Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Crafty Thread - what are you working on at the moment?

Ah. But it's sewn shut. I dunno tbh but circle of felt sounds like a good idea. And what I meant to say is WHERE did you get the buttons???

done :D not even slightly wibbly :thumbs:

6600494465_2a58736ff1.jpg

will bung full dress on frocks thread :)

Nice work bob, looks pretty excellent.

Thanks Greebo, I shall hie me to the Kwiksew site. I'm looking to make camisoles and full length slips/nighties for a first off.

I've been making a frilly scarf and sent it off to my pal in her Christmas parcel. I'll be making another once I get out of ruralsville and into the city to buy some more yarn.

I have decided to become a crafty person and join in with things crafty :) Can anyone tell me what to use to stick jewels onto glass, thanks :)

Are the jewels flat on the back? If so, something like UHU or Bostik, which dries clear.

Are the jewels flat on the back? If so, something like UHU or Bostik, which dries clear.

Mostly flat yes, there some old brooches and bits of necklaces etc. I need lots more jewels though so I'll be scouting the flee markets. Thanks for glu info :)

I made a coat. The pattern is Simplicity 2508.
new coat.jpg

It took me forever to find some warm fabric I liked that wasn't £30 + a metre, but finally some turned up in my favourite roll-end shop in Brixton for £5 a metre. I added a couple of inches extra flare to the bottom of each panel of the coat to make it more sticky out and 50s looking. The whole thing including pattern, lining, buttons, thread, shoulder pads etc probably cost around £40.

I discovered in the process of making this that the little belt thing you get on the back of coats is called a martingale.

Forgot to take a photo of the buttons but they are these:
woodFlower04.jpg

Really happy with it, it's properly cosy and fits very well, plus big useful pockets.

I had a bit of a nightmare with it actually. It's a "Project Runway" pattern, which means it has a lot of different confusing variations you can do. Not all of the options were very clearly numbered, and I cut out the wrong front pieces. Fortunately I was able to squeeze the right ones out of them - but then spotted I was supposed to cut 4 of them rather than 2 and I now didn't have enough fabric for another 2 :eek:

I managed to retrieve it by doing one of the inside ones that doesn't show much in 2 pieces the wrong way round and sewing them together.

Attempting to rearrange a navy skirt from primark. Sewing machine thinks its a bad idea though and keeps eating the thread :mad:

I made a coat. The pattern is Simplicity 2508.
View attachment 15989

It took me forever to find some warm fabric I liked that wasn't £30 + a metre, but finally some turned up in my favourite roll-end shop in Brixton for £5 a metre. I added a couple of inches extra flare to the bottom of each panel of the coat to make it more sticky out and 50s looking. The whole thing including pattern, lining, buttons, thread, shoulder pads etc probably cost around £40.

I discovered in the process of making this that the little belt thing you get on the back of coats is called a martingale.

Forgot to take a photo of the buttons but they are these:
woodFlower04.jpg

Really happy with it, it's properly cosy and fits very well, plus big useful pockets.

that really is amazing. I wish i could do stuff like that.

right now, i'm using some handspun to knit a scarf for bakunin

Well I've finally succumbed and plumped for a crafty thing to keep me busy while I'm trying to improve myself (!)

Crochet is my craft of choice. Left handed so knitting drives me mad but 4 days of Youtube and a borrowed crochet hook and I'm doing ok in a right handed fashion. Every day is looking less like a stoned spider wefting across my hook. So is a bamboo hook worth a try? Any general tips? What wool should I be using after my cheap purchase of a ball of double acrylic from Wilkinsons? Does anyone know who sells hooks and things in Derby or Birmingham?

I have some grand ambitions after I've done a blanket or three. Just questions from a crafting newbie :)

Back
Top Bottom