Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

Love it! Perfect for current weather.

I've been eyeing up patterns for cotton t-shirty type things. What's it like to wear?
Really comfy. When i first sewed up the shoulders were a bit weird but after a couple of wears they have dropped nicely. (I don't block).

I could have done the sleeves a cm shorter as the wavy bit keep getting caught in my elbows and staying curled up, but apart from that, it's one of my favourites that I've made so far. I will get a lot of wear from it i think.

Fine knitting, Me76. I fairly zipped through my first attempt with fine wool (although the yarn was a total pleasure), I am dragging my heels with the second hat for DiL. Like 40 rows for 10cm...seems to take forever - the prospect of doing a jumper is vanishingly small (I would actually splash the cash on more Woolfolk yarn if I thought there was any chance of finishing). So what's next then...or are you in summer retirement? This hat will be my last item...although I do have shitloads of Manos del Uruguay worsted weight...

Next I'm making a Christmas jumper. I can never find any in the shops i like so I'm making my own.

Using the pattern of the mesh top jumper i made, but making it slightly shorter, and a chart i have for a penguin and some snow flakes on the front.

I need some advice... I did some knitting by a campfire :oops: :D a particularly smoky one...

Whats on my needles and a couple of balls of wool, have absorbed the campfire really well... can I wash halfway through a project? Will it completely fuck it up?

Not really sure how I could 'air' it otherwise :hmm: I wouldn't mind so much, but it's a blanket for a newborn :oops:

Can you test the spare balls with Febreze and then hanging them in a knicker bag on the line for a couple of days...see if that gets rid of the smell.

Knicker bag :D one of those net things you put your smalls in to stop them tangling up.
I read somewhere about putting smelly clothes in the freezer overnight...don't recommend it though, especially for a baby.

I am planning my next project and have a couple of choices. Questions about yarn though:

1 is it possible to get a glittery or sequinned, chunky, washable yarn for less than £4 for 70ish metres or am I asking for the impossible?

2 when a yarn has a bit of a fuzziness to it, is there a name for that I can search for, or do I need to look at every picture of every DK yarn?

2. Fuzziness might depend on the blend. eg mohair/angora like kid silk haze (*spit*) is very fuzzy. What's the yarn used in the pattern?

1. An acrylic, probably. Ravelry will list yarn substitutions which can sometimes be helpful. Sirdar or king cole are usually quite cheap.

The yarn it says in the pattern is patons soft mix. But it's hand wash only so there's no point me getting that. But I like the fuzzy effect of it.

Here's the pattern

Attachments

• IMG_5487.PNG
    IMG_5487.PNG
    806.3 KB · Views: 8
I am desperately trying to finish my Christmas jumper quick so I can get onto the next thing.

Which I really need to be the black glittery bobbly jumper as it's not stocking stitch and I'm a bit bored of stocking stitch. But the yarn for the other jumper is so gorgeous and soft I want to play with that.

Ground to a halt on grandaughter's cardigan with only half a sleeve to go. Somehow, totally unable to motivate myself as it consists of many colour changes. 3/4 sleeve in cotton - it won't fit her if I leave it much longer...or be weather appropriate.
Summer is so NOT knitting season.

The wool in the colour blocks is all from the magazine subscription that I have. A ball every week that I'm supposed to make two quilts with. I have about 13 squares I think. :blush:

It's that time of year again when I want to knit and come here for help with a project that I usually give up on once I've made and arse of it :oops::facepalm:
Anyway, all I want this time is a pattern for a regular sort of bobble hat to keep me warm on my dog walks. Two needles and nothing fancy. I still have the icelandic wool left over from the Sarah Lund jumper that got the better of me and I'd like to use some of that.
:)

Back
Top Bottom