Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Craft club topic of the month - knitting!

Mmmm, lovely blanket BB. I am mad for Mabel and Ivy from Tangled yarns. They do 2 types, one of which is a lovely mix of merino and cotton. It is a fine yarn...but I have been unwinding from the centre and outside and using 2 strands together.
I am plodding on with the yak disaster...which has become far more elaborate...and finished my garden jumper in unprecedented time of 17 days. Camera dodgy but will do my best to post pics as I am well chuffed with the result. It's a stretch though, to stay in winter (knitting) mode while gardening demands are ramping up

I want to do it in colours of the sea.

Ooh, just googled and they've got an almost perfect 'shade pack' :)

I think it might be too thin though, even doubled :hmm:

I've been knitting hats using a knitting loom for the last few months. I've made over 40 so far. Sold 4. Made several specially for people. I am making them to give to homeless, refugees, anyone who needs a hat really and selling some to buy yarn to make more hats.

what kind of loom, Mungy ?
round knitting loom.
5175667797_86d1a0558c.jpg

Massive breakthrough with the yak disaster. Beset with anxiety, not knowing how to do the front - as a cardigan or jumper - problems either way, not least being the awful lumpy edges from a million thread changes (it's elaborate). Almost ground to a halt after the third attempt at some sort of button band and endless faffing with icord (tie fastening?)...but 4 times obviously the charm and I did a 3needle cast off and turned it into a jumper (with a knitted 'false zip') and tried it on for the first time. Thrillingly, it fits (when I unravelled the last disastrous attempt and spread it across the table, it transpired I was knitting for a 60inch chest!) I feel energised to finish last sleeve then neckband.

It is a very odd garment. I could actually make a massive paper ruff, Tudor stylee...and it would not look out of place. Also, a screamingly 80s silhouette, complete with peplum and dropped shoulders. Not entirely promising. Even so, have convinced myself it has a certain folkloric charm (rough) and is therefore timeless (too bizarre to categorise).

That is beautiful, campanula :)
I applaud your dogged determination and patience!

Such fine work, I'd have gone mad and given up :D
The peplum looks like it should've always been there.
Lovely.

Thank you...although it is more to do with being a cheapskate than having patience. I had bought lots of wool in shades of red and orange and made up the rest from my stash, and raced through the first jumper in a record 17 days (4.5mm needles) and had a proper pattern to follow (Lila, on Ravelry - already did one for D-i-L)...while I am in the 4th year of the yak abomination. I usually take a couple of months (like you, I think Me76). It has been years since I did a jumper for myself (my daughter snapped up the last one) so having 2 is outstanding.

Last edited:
I can't remember :oops: possibly Simply Fabrics in Brixton, or a random shop in Brighton.

They're quite cheapy plastic ones.

I have been wearing my yak garment...and whipped up a little hat with the leftovers, thereby nudging me into a hat craze. Ordered purple tussah silk for D-I-L and some bloody gorgeous Woolfolk 'Tynd' in Dirty Seafoam for me...and knitting us both Tetsubou hats (japanese for helmet). Really must get a grip on how to do links but this lovely hat is on Ravelry. Even paid £££ for a pattern (a complete first for a hat). I feel an obsession coming on...using just a single skein means splashing out on fabulous yarn (nearly settled on some German wool from Loop with glorious colours (and names - 'Withered Magnolia', 'Escaped Laboratory Mouse', 'Dying Rose losing it's Fire').

I did abandon the stripy thing and knitted a small shawl instead which perked me up as I normally embark on these mammoth projects that take months to finish whereas this was over pretty fast. Am now continuing the policy of knitting from stash and going 80s with this pattern: Ravelry: Fuzzy Dot Cardigan / Fuzzy dottejakke pattern by Anna & Heidi Pickles
I've had a load of green Kidsilk Aura in my stash for years which is a good match, except that it's a bit finer which means it won't be quite such a hairy monster. And again it's going fairly fast. I think I just knit more when I can see a chance of actually finishing something in the not too distant future.

Oooh, I love that, Ruby. Its a perfect match of colour and pattern. Making me think about lace again. I have just learned to do a provisional cable cast-on today, to get going on my hat. I swear, I have been knitting for 50 years but never moved beyond knit, purl, make, decrease, one type of casting on until internet tutorials. I am winding down knitting season, trying to squeeze in a pair of hats for me and D-i-L. Knitting with 10ply fine wool is also a bit out of my comfort zone - I have never had the patience to do endless tiny stitches unless it's a glove or such - and I find I have to be much more measured, holding this fine and slippery yarn. It is gorgeous though. The nicest wool I have felt for ages.

Back
Top Bottom