Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Council by-election results

That’s making a good argument for that explosive-laden WW2 ship rotting on the sea bed of the Thames estuary to finally go off.

Be good to get the local take on this:

This from Wikipedia is interesting:
On 30 November 2021 councillor Marcia Hutchinson resigned from her seat in Ancoats & Beswick, citing allegations of bullying and racism within the Labour group.[7] A by-election was held on 3 February 2022, which was won by the Liberal Democrat candidate Alan Good.[8]

I had thought this area might be remainer leaning, proximate to the gay village etc. Depends how how much it has been regenerated I suppose.
I do see from Wikipedia that the ward was rock solid Labour until recently. The stats are somewhat similar to Lambeth, where I live now and is rock solid Labour - but people generally hate the council.

When I lived in Manchester in the 1970s Ancoats was mainly inter-ward council estates with streets named after the noble gases - ie Neon Street, Argon Street etc.
Joe Orton could have written a farce about somewhere like that.

Ancoats has changed drastically demographically over the last decade - it's full of expensive housing developments for young professionals and the like now. There are still parts of it that are pretty deprived tho. Not sure what the situation is in this ward tho.

Ancoats has changed drastically demographically over the last decade - it's full of expensive housing developments for young professionals and the like now. There are still parts of it that are pretty deprived tho. Not sure what the situation is in this ward tho.
It may have changed long before that. The noble gases streets are totally ungoogleable - clearly demolished. I guess they may pop up on 1950s mapping.
I got to know the residential area in the second 1974 general election - when I was helping Patrick Coleman vs Harold Lever. Manchester Central (UK Parliament constituency) - Wikipedia
Patrick was in the Young Liberal "Red Guard" with Peter Hain and assorted others.

ETA: Just saw the post above - question answered!!
However presumably there was no Labour candidate

I wonder what seat in the UK has the lowest Labour vote? (with a standing candidate) Anyone know?
ETA: Actually Im not that interested - not sure why i bothered to post this.

LABOUR.png

ETA: Just saw the post above - question answered!!
However presumably there was no Labour candidate

I wonder what seat in the UK has the lowest Labour vote? (with a standing candidate) Anyone know?
ETA: Actually Im not that interested - not sure why i bothered to post this.

View attachment 312878
Not sure about the lowest ever Labour vote...but in another (Somerset) council by-election on Thursday the LP candidate gained just 15 votes; not much beyond immediate family/friends, really:

I understand that this was a "personality" vote. I don't know how to phrase this delicately enough but here goes. You know how Tower Hamlets is often a go-to for an example of a council where cultures and ethnicities play a significant part in local council politics? Bolton is the same but it's not Bangladeshi as much. Bradford is a "known" other example up north.

Short story: this was not pro-Tory as much as the figures would suggest.

I understand that this was a "personality" vote. I don't know how to phrase this delicately enough but here goes. You know how Tower Hamlets is often a go-to for an example of a council where cultures and ethnicities play a significant part in local council politics? Bolton is the same but it's not Bangladeshi as much. Bradford is a "known" other example up north.

Short story: this was not pro-Tory as much as the figures would suggest.
Fair enough; I know nothing of the local situation.

Preview of today's local by-elections.

Five by-elections on 13th October 2022, with Labour defending three and the Conservatives and Greens one each.

Will the local vermin get hammered because of national issues?

Back
Top Bottom