Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Council by-election results

Has anyone done any analysis of Libdem by election results over the last couple of years? The sense I get is that they're still basically hanging on but not seeing any drastic change for the better of worse on their post Coalition norm.

Slightly unusual Tuesday Council by-election in Wyre Forest sees a tory gain, the 'Health defence party' held but didn't defend.

Has anyone done any analysis of Libdem by election results over the last couple of years? The sense I get is that they're still basically hanging on but not seeing any drastic change for the better of worse on their post Coalition norm.
the most in-depth blog on council byelections is run by a lib dem nerd, but tbh I'm not sure you can trust his analysis

Thanks I had forgotten about him I was quite friendly with him on Twitter way back when and I think he's as honest in his analysis as you can expect the president of the Libdems to be.

Interesting one for Worthing Borough Council tomorrow.

VOTERS will go to the polls in a by-election which will determine who controls the council.

Residents in Marine ward in Worthing will elect a new councillor after Tim Wills resigned after being linked to a far-right organisation by campaign group Hope Not Hate.

Currently, the Conservatives hold 17 seats on Worthing Borough Council, while Labour have 16 seats. The Liberal Democrats have two seats on the council with one independent.

The independent one is a Tory suspended over offensive homophobic tweets, who will not doubt vote with them, so a with win it will leave them with 19 including him, Lab/LD on 18, if Labour wins they & the LDs would be on 19 to 18.

The election, which takes place tomorrow, could spark a change in council control - a Tory loss could allow a Labour-led administration to take power.

When the seat was last contested in 2019, then-Conservative councillor held the seat by 233 votes, a majority of more than eight per cent over Labour.

Four candidates are contesting the vote; Syed Ahmed for the Conservatives, Vicki Wells for Labour, Emma Norton for the Liberal Democrats and Sonya Mallin for the Green Party.

Labour have gone from no councillors to 16 in the space of four years, which Vicki attributes to "common decency, the need for integrity and transparency".

"Old Bexley and Sidcup is not the only poll taking place today. After last week’s Super Thursday, it’s time for another one: there are ten local by-elections today in what is proving to be a very busy end to the year. Unlike last week’s diet, Conservative defences predominate today: there are seven Conservative local seats up for election. Three of them are in Sussex.

Hartfield​

Wealden council, East Sussex; caused by the death of Conservative councillor Chris Hardy.

Hillside​

Adur council, West Sussex; caused by the death of Conservative councillor David Simmons.

Marine​

Worthing council, West Sussex; caused by the resignation of Conservative councillor Tim Wills as mentioned above by @cupid_stunt

Stalham​

North Norfolk council; caused by the resignation of Liberal Democrat councillor Marion Millership.

Hermitage​

Breckland council, Norfolk; caused by the resignation of Conservative councillor Trevor Carter.

Victoria​

Newport council, Gwent; caused by the resignation of Labour councillor Majid Rahman.

Whitnash​

Warwick council; caused by the death of Whitnash Residents Association councillor Tony Heath.

Bare; and
Upper Lune Valley​

Lancaster council; caused respectively by the deaths of Conservative councillors Stephie Barber and Stewart Scothern.

Fort William and Ardnamurchan​

Highland council, Scotland; caused by the death of Conservative councillor Ian Ramon.
source

1st result this week and good to see that they’re giving the total votes cast as well.

The greens in Hartfield aren't happy as someone's been "stealing" their posters. I can't remember how many disappeared as I can no longer find the Facebook thread.
I hope they put them in the recycling bin

Looks like exactly 10 to me. Lucky that the number of nominees for a candidate has been reduced to two for the time being.

Interesting one for Worthing Borough Council tomorrow.

The independent one is a Tory suspended over offensive homophobic tweets, who will not doubt vote with them, so a with win it will leave them with 19 including him, Lab/LD on 18, if Labour wins they & the LDs would be on 19 to 18.

Labour have gone from no councillors to 16 in the space of four years, which Vicki attributes to "common decency, the need for integrity and transparency".

From none to now 17 in just 4 years, now it's up to the two LDs as to who runs the council.

2j.png

The vermin loss in Tonbridge & Malling looks like another one of these Kentish "progressive alliance" quid pro quo deals:

meanwhile...up on the old West Malling airfield (now Kings Hill estate) they appear to love all the lies, sleaze, corruption and rule-breaking:

(little known [?] fact; the Beatles I am the Walrus footage was filmed on the old RAF airfield...long before it became the hutch homes to the vermin loving wage slaves.)

In Devon the vermin gained votes from the no-show of incumbent Indy & kippers:

Back
Top Bottom