Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Cost of Living Crisis: Enough is Enough Campaign

Yeah I really don't think this campaign should care too much what some black-framed big specs Nathan Barley types think about the "look" of the material.

It's not about design / appearance. If you think it looks like a nursing home leaflet who gives a shit?
In 2020 £21 billion pounds was spent on advertising in the UK. You should tell them they could have saved all that money with a few sheets of Letraset and a photocopier.

I agree it doesn’t mean much. If Twitter was the real world we’d still be in the EU, Corbyn would be PM and all of us would be enjoying lives where hilarious/profound things happen every 5 minutes with us at the centre of them.
You miss my point.

It's not about the efficacy of Twitter as campaigning platform, but rather that they very conspicuously ignore the Don't Pay campaign.

Why would they do that?

Reactions: LDC
Yeah I really don't think this campaign should care too much what some black-framed big specs Nathan Barley types think about the "look" of the material.

It's not about design / appearance. If you think it looks like a nursing home leaflet who gives a shit?
Can we at least have a conversation about the clichéd pics of Big Names On The Left Mid- Speech?

You miss my point.

It's not about the efficacy of Twitter as campaigning platform, but rather that they very conspicuously ignore the Don't Pay campaign.

Why would they do that?

Seriously? Because they don’t ‘follow’ them on Twitter then they are snubbing the Don’t Pay campaign? They do follow Jack Grealish and Greggs. What do we deduce from that? That the campaign is deliberately being narrowed to floppy haired Brummies and sausage roll lovers only?

You miss my point.

Why would they do that?
Sadly it feels a bit factional. The political end of the trade unions have noticed that Don't Pay comes from the more anarcho end of the organising spectrum and they have decided to be dismissive of it as a result, even though they haven't come up with a method for building power themselves yet besides rallies and marches*. I saw the Daily Mail's hit piece on Don't Pay had quotes calling it middle class that they claimed to be from more traditional left activists.

*which are not, in themselves, a method for building power at all really

So big rallies, more rallies planned, fiery speeches by well known lefties.

So far, so Stop the War Coalition.

So one big rally, more rallies planned to launch EiE elsewhere which will inevitably have long tedious speeches by well known lefties. Local groups being formed to support pickets and workplace activity. An emphasis on community projects drawing people together to address the issues that matter to them locally, over 150,000 sign ups but not very good social media.

So far, some good stuff.

Seriously? Because they don’t ‘follow’ them on Twitter then they are snubbing the Don’t Pay campaign? They do follow Jack Grealish and Greggs. What do we deduce from that? That the campaign is deliberately being narrowed to floppy haired Brummies and sausage roll lovers only?

Yep, pretty much.

If they can go to the effort of following Greggs (why?) but not the one fucking existing initiative with 100k pledges then, yes, that suggests a snub to me.

I mean, maybe, they proved me wrong last night with some supportive (even with caveats) mentions of the Don't Pay campaign at their big rally right?

Did they?

The political end of the trade unions have noticed that Don't Pay comes from the more anarcho end of the organising spectrum and they have decided to be dismissive of it as a result,

Where is your evidence for that? As far as I can see the sum total of the evidence is what Eddie Dempsey said in the pub about Don't Pay not being an option for 4 million households on pre-pay meters

Did they?

I’ve no idea. I’ve got better things to do than go down to London to listen to speeches by leftie MPs and Michael Rosen (sorry, Steeplejack). What I will say is that it’s going to be raised and discussed at the Birmingham launch with the suggestion of collaboration between EiE and DP. It’s fair enough, I’d suggest, to have the discussion before jumping to conclusions and writing off a major initiative from the unions and one which is not under the control of the TUC or Labour Party.

It matters because the way they're behaving says it matters. The main problem with these sorts of social media marketing types ime is that they're terminally online and can't understand how what they're doing slots in with real life. EiE has a big focus on utilising social media outreach and therefore they are allowing this sort of "who have they snubbed on social media" bullshit to be important. If social media outreach was an extension of their wider practice rather than a central pillar of it then it wouldn't be important.

The problem isn't necessarily their brand image, it's that as a movement they're sending out signals that they're playing by a certain rulebook. And then by those rules, they're not doing a good job.

Where is your evidence for that? As far as I can see the sum total of the evidence is what Eddie Dempsey said in the pub about Don't Pay not being an option for 4 million households on pre-pay meters
I think it is significant that Don't Pay retweets EIE stuff but EIE never retweets Don't Pay stuff. Anyway, as you say hopefully coordination at the local level will be what determines whether the two campaigns work togeter, not what the leadership think.

It matters because the way they're behaving says it matters. The main problem with these sorts of social media marketing types ime is that they're terminally online and can't understand how what they're doing slots in with real life. EiE has a big focus on utilising social media outreach and therefore they are allowing this sort of "who have they snubbed on social media" bullshit to be important. If social media outreach was an extension of their wider practice rather than a central pillar of it then it wouldn't be important.

The problem isn't necessarily their brand image, it's that as a movement they're sending out signals that they're playing by a certain rulebook. And then by those rules, they're not doing a good job.

I think there is a legitimate debate to be had about trade union SM content. I’ve noticed that the RMT Twitter has become, presumably decided by the staffer who runs it rather than the elected leadership or NEC, more focussed on fishing for likes or engaging in whatever performative shit leftie Twitter is obsessing over at any given point. It should be focussed on the disputes and other campaigns and disputes the union is engaged in.

So I’m not drawing any conclusions about EiE based on what some full time hack running their Twitter account does with it or who he or she follows.

I think there is a legitimate debate to be had about trade union SM content. I’ve noticed that the RMT Twitter has become, presumably decided by the staffer who runs it rather than the elected leadership or NEC, more focussed on fishing for likes or engaging in whatever performative shit leftie Twitter is obsessing over at any given point. It should be focussed on the disputes and other campaigns and disputes the union is engaged in.

So I’m not drawing any conclusions about EiE based on what some full time hack running their Twitter account does with it or who he or she follows.
It tends to be indicative of wider health issues in the organisation- for example, that there's no one willing or able to keep whoevers doing external comms in check. Social media etc tends to be an entry level role. They need guidance, and they need to be told a situation like this has real life consequences and isn't a sandbox for testing their strategies so they can jump to their next job.

Social media output done bad can also create issues, as it draws in and chases certain demographics and groups of people at the expense of others. Marketing types are typically recruited from particular demographics and are jobs that are attractive to people with certain problematic personality traits, which results in this sort of QR-code-#leftiememes-mental-health-wellbeing-corporate-memphis-hell we're all subjected to every time we go online or see an advert somewhere. They cater for other marketing people or people they can identify with, and that's not the group of people trade unions and left wing groups need to be trying to reach

I’ve no idea. I’ve got better things to do than go down to London to listen to speeches by leftie MPs and Michael Rosen (sorry, Steeplejack). What I will say is that it’s going to be raised and discussed at the Birmingham launch with the suggestion of collaboration between EiE and DP. It’s fair enough, I’d suggest, to have the discussion before jumping to conclusions and writing off a major initiative from the unions and one which is not under the control of the TUC or Labour Party.

Yes, I've no intention of going to hear him either- my point was at least it's not a waspish harangue from Chris Bambery or somesuch.

No real interest in rallies- they're largely a total waste of time. But this does provide an opportunity for community organising as you say.

What the fuck is all this competition between left factions. Shit on this. Personally, I would not attend rallies to listen to fiery speeches (I can do that all by myself) but I am quite on board with signing up for both of these campaigns. I also think that consumer capitalism is deeply embedded in our political landscape so boycotts are always more effective than shouting or worse, attempting to shame the shameless. Rallies are only good if their is a too-way engagement - not just passively listening to leftie celebrities (so I don't actually give a fuck about spokespeople...and who they are...but would obviously prefer for them not to be the usual bunch of online 'faces' and would like to see a broad diversity including more women).

I fucking hate this shitty lefty snottiness - hate it...and seeing it on here with people I respect taking a party line for their particular group/emphasis is making me sick. Ooooh, my groups better than yours and your lot don't do this or that. That's why I have not engaged with formal left wing orgs. since I was a shouty teenager...because I couldn't give a fucking fuck about some minutiae of political thinking...but just want to GET SHIT DONE.
I might be wrong, but it seems like sides and preferences have been decided but instead of getting on with it, it is going to turn into a nasty, bitter wrangle between egotistic arses who are basically more keen to shout at ordinary people than actually engage. I want to be embedded in my neighbourhood, with people I walk past, everyday, and I want to have a way of making a connection because we are stronger together (my second lot of leaflets are in my 4 nearest pubs, now!) I do not want to stand around at a rally, listening to someone with a megaphone. And I really don't give a fuck about ';names' on social media or even the leftosphere (which I avoid because I am old and cynical and don't give a shit about 'living my best life' or some other trite pap nor wish to get into jargonsitic arguments because of some ideological purity fail.

God's I am getting angry and drawn into this myself. Waste of time and energy. Me, I intend to take what I can from both of these campaigns...and any others because I admit, I am frankly shitting myself. I have a cold house and am old and poor.

To be fair, I'm voicing criticisms here rather than IRL where I'm keeping more of an open mind, and am signed to hear from both initiatives.

...but, it would be negligence on my part not to voice concerns that are based on seeing the exact same problems arise time after time after time.

My current union* (UCU) is signed up to EIE. Though I've not heard anything from them about it yet. They're busy trying to get the vote out for next round of strikes. Makes perfect sense to link up with the RMT, CWU etc.. in that regard.

*I'm likely to change in the coming weeks to NEU (I imagine) due to new job.

To be fair, I'm voicing criticisms here rather than IRL where I'm keeping more of an open mind, and am signed to hear from both initiatives.

...but, it would be negligence on my part not to voice concerns that are based on seeing the exact same problems arise time after time after time.
who watches the watchers?

Ah, obviously I support union endorsement and activity but I do want these campaigns to be inclusive, resonating not just with working families but also the huge number of people who are not in work. Disabled, too young or too old (students or retired people), people who are self-employed or precariously earning. The 2 main campaigns have quite different aims and emphasis, but I think Don't Pay has a very simple target (the energy crisis) while EIE is both broader but does risk being a little alienating to the millions of us not in employment...or part of a working family. Ideally, these campaigns complement each other and offer strategies which are in no way detrimental to those of us at the sharp end.

I would have thought that amongst the stewards in Unite there would be an appetite to join and a mechanism for raising the issue . Regionally or branch wise there would support in Unison ? GMB don’t know about , I had some mates who were in gmb when they were sold out and sacked in the British Gas Strike but haven’t any contacts . You’re in gmb ? Have you raised locally ?
Messaged my pal that is a unite rep - she is in discussion with her branch hoping to do something locally up here. Said she had signed up to the campaign anyway. Can see some GMB reps up north sharing the campaign on twitter*.

*I won't attempt to deduce anything from that

I would have thought that amongst the stewards in Unite there would be an appetite to join and a mechanism for raising the issue . Regionally or branch wise there would support in Unison ? GMB don’t know about , I had some mates who were in gmb when they were sold out and sacked in the British Gas Strike but haven’t any contacts . You’re in gmb ? Have you raised locally ?
I've not heard anything in Unison, been off work this week so not checked my emails in a while but just had a quick look and not seeing anything. My guess is the NEC majority would be supportive, as would the leadership of a lot of branches (including mine), but then the Unison bureaucracy are incredibly good at dragging their heels and generally being obstructive, so who knows?
Yeah, and i know I shouldn't judge a book by the cover etc....but it does, at face value, look like quite a white, metropolitan, middle class crowd...but maybe the reach will increase?
Tbf, if it's happening in central London, it wouldn't be that surprising to get a metropolitan crowd?
Depends what you mean by youth. Eight year olds love him.
And he is/was apparently quite popular among the "youtube poop" subculture, although think that was a while back so everyone involved is probably at least pushing thirty by now?
Yeah EiE social media is shit. The design is just old lefties all over, and who the fuck decided to go with lilac and pale green as the main colours? Looks like something from a nursing home advert.
I was going to say I quite like their graphic design (is it maybe a bit vaporwave? Semi-soft-vaporwave or something?), but then looking at their website:
1660828405613.png
I'm guessing that this is something playing up with my browser and there's not really meant to be all that white space there, but either way it's not looking great, since if it does that with my browser I'm guessing it might also be affecting other people's?

Honestly, black-framed big specs are soooo mid-2010s. :rolleyes: Nah, graphic design is one of those things like admin where you don't notice it when it's done well, but it is an issue when it's done badly. Like, obviously the content of this kind of stuff is mental, but even if you replaced the text with "a real pay rise, slash energy bills etc", would you want to be handing something looking like this out as EiE material? Cos if not, then you care about the design.
1660828812001.png

Anyway, does anyone know what other events they've got planned? The Sheffield thing they're doing on Saturday looks decent (as in, directly linked to the current strikes), but I only know about that cos of following the Orgreave campaign, have they announced any other local ones?
And does anyone know anything about Kwajo Tweneboa?

Back
Top Bottom