Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Have you got a link to the WHO statement?

This thing just spreads and spreads.

11 more from the US evacuation of Princess Diamond tested positive

Spain's health authorities have banned doctors and nurses from attending group professional events for the next three weeks as a precaution. But La Liga will carry on as normal.

Suspend all but a fraction of most necessary travel & social contact for a month and half (farming, supplies, energy, mining) and perhaps it can be severely slowed. Global ban on non-trade international trade. Otherwise the cost in lives and economic results will be much higher in the end.

I've just read an article that said SARS was brought under control by hygeine (hand washing, etc) and higher temperatures and humidity in the Summer.

I didn't know that humidity had an effect on viruses, and if I had to guess, I would have said more humid is worse - meaning greater spread. Turns out this is not the case.

So, could this explain anything with regards to SARS-CoV2?

I think Northern Italy is humid all year around, so no good news there. What about Iran in winter? I'd have guessed dry, but have no idea.

I saw humidity being said to have an impact when I was looking at studies about coronaviruses ability to survive on hard surfaces.

Earlier in the outbreak, when the seasonal hopes came up the easiest way to dampen them was to go on about Singapore having spread despite the sort of weather they have there (tropical climate).

But since Singapores numbers have not grown in the same way as other places, I'm not sure I would rush to that point anymore. I dont really know what the full and true story is with Singapore, so its currently on my list of countries where I dont want to make assumptions or try to search too hard to find all the valid explanations for the pattern seen there. It might turn out to be really important for the bigger global picture, but I will just have to wait till something becomes clear, or a revelation, or sufficient time to pass.

I've just read an article that said SARS was brought under control by hygeine (hand washing, etc) and higher temperatures and humidity in the Summer.

I didn't know that humidity had an effect on viruses, and if I had to guess, I would have said more humid is worse - meaning greater spread. Turns out this is not the case.

So, could this explain anything with regards to SARS-CoV2?

I think Northern Italy is humid all year around, so no good news there. What about Iran in winter? I'd have guessed dry, but have no idea.

One study I quoted above (Coronavirus: Cases triple as infection spreads to Beijing and Shanghai) said:

High relative humidity seemed less favourable to the virus unless the temperature came down to 6 degree celsius. At this temperature, the survival of the virus was significantly enhanced whatever the rate of relative humidity." He says, "this enhanced survival rate at high relative humidity and low temperature may explain the winter propagation of Coronaviruses." ...

A lot of American workers don't get paid leave. With pay levels being what they are, losing even one day of pay can be difficult.* Even if you do have leave, the company culture may frown on using it.

* I have a coworker who recently came to work with pneumonia and a diagnosis of C-diff. She was afraid to lose work because her husband had just lost his construction job a week before. She choose to feed her kids over taking care of herself.

There will be a lot of this in the UK too no doubt. So many precarious workers with no recourse to any kind of sick pay, and no guarantee of their job still being there when they recover.

Our government is burying their head in the sand. Veradkar saying its too early to make a call on cancelling St Patrick's day parades.
Does he seriously think things are going to not get worse?
They're going round making this out to be a mild illness.
Like the % that die from it is negligible.
I'm really angry with the way they're acting. 😡

United Arab Emirates closing all schools for at least 4 weeks, is anyone here in favour of action like this? Plus a weekly subsidy for a caregiver to take time off work.
I think we've missed the boat to a certain extent, but if I was in charge I'd be up for that, sure. You also need to restrict where the kids go when they're not there, too, or it's a bit pointless.

I'd also cancel all gigs, festivals, sports events, conferences, etc.

I'd ramp up testing massively, and if possible start testing people not showing symptoms/healthy, in areas where there's been an outbreak. We need to get ahead of this, rather than be reactive.

South Korea's drive-thru testing stations seem like a good idea.

I also like China's community representative/nominated shopper. Keep the people going out and mingling to a minimum to reduce spread. I think we'd struggle to do that here as we don't have the same social setup, but we could do something similar by taking over Amazon Prime/Uber/whatever and using them as delivery drivers for estates.

Interesting piece in the Guardian on Spanish flu

1) Spanish flu didn't start in Spain but in the trenches and kept secret until it hit Spain
2) Don't dismiss it like Daily Mail and Times and others did with Spanish flu and Johnson is doing with the handshaking with coronavirus
3) Uncontrolled movement can lead to tragic outcomes
4) Potential for a second wave - Spanish flu mutated into a worse form and hit people who hadn't built up immunity first time round (not so likely with coronavirus).

I think we've missed the boat to a certain extent, but if I was in charge I'd be up for that, sure. You also need to restrict where the kids go when they're not there, too, or it's a bit pointless.

I'd also cancel all gigs, festivals, sports events, conferences, etc.

I'd ramp up testing massively, and if possible start testing people not showing symptoms/healthy, in areas where there's been an outbreak. We need to get ahead of this, rather than be reactive.

South Korea's drive-thru testing stations seem like a good idea.

I also like China's community representative/nominated shopper. Keep the people going out and mingling to a minimum to reduce spread. I think we'd struggle to do that here as we don't have the same social setup, but we could do something similar by taking over Amazon Prime/Uber/whatever and using them as delivery drivers for estates.

There aren't tests for that at present - only 1000 a day clearly too few no extra capacity was brought in after seeing the rise in South Korea - you simply have to quarantine these areas as much as possible.

The problem is when it gets too big the areas you have to quarantine get too large leading to Wuhan - now closed for exactly 40 days.

Get the local councillor or volunteers to do the distribution.

Mass events like St Patrick's Day Carnival are like wilfully pouring flames onto the fire something like authorities going ahead with the 19 January 40,000 banquet.

You have to start now, otherwise it's a like a tsunami.

No. Not yet. The workforce implications for health and social care would be enormous

Honestly, tell me will they become any easier in four weeks' time?
UAE has had 27 confirmed cases, but they are trying to sieve it out.

I cant understand why the WHO is not telling the world what to do. Boris is saying he has no problem shaking hands and lets leave the schools open cos after all kids dont seem to be affected and fuck the teachers like.
Same shit over here. Theyre living in a bubble.
The maths is showing that this virus spreads exponentially and quickly. Why are they pussy footing around waiting for a few people to die? How many need to die before they decide to become proactibe as opposed to just reacting.

Really pissed off.

The Chinese are doing their damndest and youve got oaf face Johnson and his cuz Veradkar thinking about what they might do??? Some toffy git on telly said they dont know what way this will go. Fuck off. Of course they do. Look at China and Italy ffs. Its fucking obvious.

How the fuck do these idiots get away with being in power?
String them up by the balls. 😡

4) Potential for a second wave - Spanish flu mutated into a worse form and hit people who hadn't built up immunity first time round (not so likely with coronavirus).

I was going to post that article but I didnt like this point much. It is important to consider subsequent waves, but the 'it mutated into a far more deadlier form' thing really sets me off.

I havent spent very much time brushing up on my 1918 flu pandemic knowledge, but the term 'far deadlier' can be ambiguous and misleading. Because humans often perceive disease severity and 'deadliness' not via some precise measure of case fatality rate, but in terms of the sheer number of seriously ill cases, deaths, and disruption to society.

It is certainly considered likely that between its initial appearance and outbreaks, and subsequent, more dramatic waves, that flu virus mutated in ways that improved its ability to bind to human airways. But the major consequence of this is not necessarily that this change made the virus more deadly for any particular individual, but rather had a big impact on the total number of people who caught that flu, a big impact on its transmissibility.

Oh and clicking on the link in the 1918 Daily Mail part of that article did lead to a very interesting long read about press propaganda in regards that flu in the context of war-weariness. I was especially interested when the study paper in question started going on about old attitudes, the idea that state of mind made one more susceptible to such diseases.

Ta for clarification :)

It is probably also possible that influenza virus mutations could actually have made it more serious for any particular person too, but that stuff is such an overused cliche, and often assumed to be the way these things work even if not actually proven, that even where it may have some truth to it, I feel bound to point out the other aspects that may be less obvious.

Anyway like I said I havent researched that particular aspect very much, but here is something:

A series of autopsy cases of soldiers who died from influenza in 1918 reveal this evolutionary process; the viral sequences obtained from the lungs of victims who died in May 1918 (before the pandemic really took off), show an HA that binds avian-like receptors and confers poor airborne transmissibility between ferrets. However, by autumn 1918, the autopsy material reveals that the virus had mutated in ways that enhanced its ability to bind human airway receptors, presumably gaining transmissibility. Similar studies of the 2009 H1N1 pandemic virus also showed the transition from a first wave virus only just adapted enough to sustain transmission, to a third wave virus that had potentiated its adaptation to its new host.

That article in turn links to this:

Sequence analysis of the viral hemagglutinin receptor-binding domain performed on RNA from 13 cases suggested a trend from a more “avian-like” viral receptor specificity with G222 in prepandemic cases to a more “human-like” specificity associated with D222 in pandemic peak cases. Viral antigen distribution in the respiratory tree, however, was not apparently different between prepandemic and pandemic peak cases, or between infections with viruses bearing different receptor-binding polymorphisms. The 1918 pandemic virus was circulating for at least 4 mo in the United States before it was recognized epidemiologically in September 1918. The causes of the unusually high mortality in the 1918 pandemic were not explained by the pathological and virological parameters examined.

Last edited:

No, but the effects might last four weeks longer if we jump the gun. Given that no drastic action will be taken by the UK government until containment is well and truly off the table, any such action should at least be geared towards keeping health services and other vital infrastructure working. Anything that increases the strain on that infrastructure with little real prospect of affecting the numbers of people who ultimately contract the virus will be counterproductive. You'll have people needlessly dying from stuff that has nothing to do with coronavirus.

Last edited:
There are also consequences of acting early in terms of what percentage of the population will think its an insane overreaction, a disgrace that must be opposed etc.

If you dont try to do it till the number of cases and deaths starts to build significantly then you probably bypass a bunch of that unhelpful 'fuss over nothing' response from sections of the population.

UAE has had 27 confirmed cases, but they are trying to sieve it out.

Back to the balancing act.

As I posted a few days back, from a workforce perspective mass shut downs is a v poor outcome. Shut a load of schools in an area and you knock out a significant chunk of workers who then become carers.

Given the vacancy numbers in NHS and Social care (let alone other key services and industries) this becomes problematic quite quickly. People may die if you do something. People may die if you do nothing.

I have a lot of sympathy for people making these calls (I work in social care and have been involved in scenario planning)

No, but the effects might last four weeks longer. Given that no drastic action will be taken by the UK government until containment is well and truly off the table, any such action should at least be geared towards keeping health services and other vital infrastructure working. Anything that increases the strain on that infrastructure with little real prospect of affecting the numbers of people who ultimately contract the virus will be counterproductive. You'll have people needlessly dying from stuff that has nothing to do with coronavirus.

'People needlessly dying from stuff that has nothing to do with coronavirus' is exactly what will happen when business as usual goes on and hospitals get full:- the examples are there in Wuhan, in Zhenzhou, in Iran and in Daegu aswell now. Anything non-pneumonia is cancelled.

Containment is already off the table with community spread already ongoing.

School closures where a partner/significant other/friend/named volunteer can perform home childcare makes sense, teenagers stay at home by themselves.

I know I have a social care focus here but that is my world.

Read the exec summary of this report

Over 1m workers in social care. Over 80% are female (therefore likely to become the main carer in a family crisis). Vacancy rate over 100k. Real crisis of non NHS nurses.
Big chunk on zero hours. These are the people who support everyone outside of hospitals. Which is a huge number

This is one of the many things keeping planners awake at night.

Back
Top Bottom