Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

I think most people here feel that this country has been ridiculously slack in terms of using border controls but what Australia is doing now seems so extreme I’m surprised it’s even legal ?

yes was reading thsi earlier, a bit over extreme considering anyone returning has to pay for their quarantine.

The way Australia have treated their own citizens abroad this past year has been nothing short of shameful. I guess they completely forgot that their first duty as a national government is to their own citizens, wherever they might be in the world. Still fine for Tom Hanks and American sports teams to visit the country freely though, as well as their own cricketers to go abroad to play in the IPL, but fuck you if you're an Aussie who wants to go home, we're just abandoning you to your fate.

The way Australia have treated their own citizens abroad this past year has been nothing short of shameful. I guess they completely forgot that their first duty as a national government is to their own citizens, wherever they might be in the world. Still fine for Tom Hanks and American sports teams to visit the country freely though, as well as their own cricketers to go abroad to play in the IPL, but fuck you if you're an Aussie who wants to go home, we're just abandoning you to your fate.
Can't you fly in and go into quarrantine?

Can't you fly in and go into quarrantine?

Not from India since they introduced that rule a couple of days ago. They have hotel quarantine for incoming passengers but they have low numbers that they allow in each week, while tens of thousands of their own citizens are still stuck abroad without any repatriation flights from the air force and without sufficient passenger capacity or money to come home on commercial flights. Aussies abroad have been let down badly by their government over the last year.

Here's a decent BBC article that explains it in more detail (and has a nice wall of celebrity faces who they've allowed in while ignoring their own citizens).

This is pretty good, an attempt to grapple with the underreporting in India, the journalist seems to have phoned around speaking to crematorium managers asking them what its like compared to normal

I assume this is the link you meant to link?

According to official statistics, Muzaffarnagar had just 10 Covid deaths over four days in late April. However, Ajay Kumar Agarwal, president of Muzaffarnagar’s city crematorium, said this was not even close to the scale of bodies he was handling.

“In normal times, we were cremating three bodies a day, but in the past 10 days it has increased,” he said. “One day it was 18, another day it was 20, then 22, and one day 25. In the past 10 days, we haven’t had any less than 12 bodies a day– 90% of them corona deaths.”

With only seven pyres in Muzaffarnagar’s city crematorium, Agarwal said they were so overwhelmed they were having to cremate the bodies on open ground, and send some to another crematorium 20 miles away. “The situation here is pathetic,” he said,

Taking the figures for those 4 days, 85 minus the 12 they would expect, leaves 73 covid deaths rather than the official figure of 10. :mad:

Last edited:
I think most people forget that it isn't

There is this tweet -

I wouldn't trust the source of the tweet, but they are claiming that their source is a Oxford University study, but I can't find that study. :hmm:

I found this, which references an unpublished and non-peer reviewed study:

expert reaction to preprint looking at incidence of rare cerebral venous thrombosis (CVT) following COVID-19 infection compared to incidence after vaccination or influenza | Science Media Centre

I'm too dumb to understand it.

Cases have exploded in Nepal now, cases up over 4,500 daily average, from just 136 a month ago, over 7,000 yesterday and nearly 40 per cent of people tested returned a positive result. :(

The seven-day average of new daily cases in Nepal rose to 4,544 on May 1 — up from just 136 at the start of April.

The surge in infections last week prompted the government to impose new lockdowns in major cities and towns, restricting the movement of people and vehicles and shuttering markets, offices and schools. Tens of thousands of people rushed out of Kathmandu to avoid the 15-day shutdown that began on Thursday.

On Sunday, the Himalayan nation recorded 7,137 new cases, a record high. Nearly 40 per cent of people tested returned a positive result, data from the ministry showed.

I've seen the odd report over the last few months, but I am surprised there hasn't been much more coverage of how bad things have been in Eastern European countries.

They virtually missed the first wave in spring last year, but clearly they have taken a big hit over the winter months, I was shocked at the deaths per million, when I just looked on Worldometers. :(

2h.png

Here is a picture of a fb friend of a playdate at a park in Ottawa, Canada.

play.jpg

Our most recent lockdown included children's playground.
Our premier, Doug Ford, quickly reversed that.

Golfing is still forbidden here... and tennis.....
It was quickly reversed.

yes was reading thsi earlier, a bit over extreme considering anyone returning has to pay for their quarantine.

I dunno, someone's got to pay for it.

Same rules apply here in NZ. Else I'd jump on a plane to UK right now to catch up with family.. Now I have to be sure we can afford to get back here once we get sick of England.

Back
Top Bottom