Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

worldometers said:
10,476 new cases
worldometers said:
and 184 new deaths in Spain. Data for cases from Aug. 24 to Aug. 31 reflects only the cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in its daily PDF report. As the validation process takes time to complete, additional cases are expected to be added retroactively once the weekly historical dataset revision will be released by the Ministry of Health on Thursday, Sept. 3. [source].

:eek: :(

Yeah it since hit 256 for the last week in the daily report.

This is what it currently looks like when expressed as cases per day, although as that quote mentions, there is extra lag in their reporting system.

Screenshot 2020-09-04 at 20.18.17.png
Various hospital indicators for Spain remain on a similar trajectory to last time I spoke about that, so no more graphs from me on that for now. But the rises in hospitalisations, intensive care cases etc obviously imply more deaths in future.

Skiing and Covid.

One interesting bit (from many scary ones):

"“In Iceland, we allowed the doctors to take over from politicians for a few weeks,” he says. “That really made the difference.” Iceland started offering Covid-19 tests at the end of January, carrying them out on those with and without symptoms in the months that followed, giving it the highest per capita testing rate at the beginning of the pandemic outbreak."

Melbourne's case numbers have been steadily in decline since the beginning of a strict lockdown 5 weeks ago (which came out of another less-strict lockdown I can't remember how many weeks ago). There were 63 cases statewide yesterday, the majority of those in Melbourne (population 5 million). In theory our lockdown was meant to end next Sunday but today they've announced the "road map" to a "COVID normal" which means we're basically in lockdown for another seven weeks :facepalm:

On the "plus" side, the roadmap is really quite clear about what numbers need to look like for the lockdown to be slackened. It basically looks like we're going for elimination: if we have 14 straight days of no new cases by 23 November :)eek:) then people will be allowed more than one household in their home at a time.

I'm pretty sympathetic to the politics of it all but was surprised at how long our route of lockdown seems to be. This is getting looonnngggg. :(

There's various articles describing France as the new European hotspot, so I've just looked at the rolling 7-day average of daily new cases, and it seems Spain is getting on top of it. having peaked at 7435 on 26th Aug. & dropped to 2933 yesterday, whereas France continues to go up, increasing between the same dates from 4077 to 6454, an increase of almost 60%.

Mind you the UK increased during that period by about 50%, from 1107 to 1631.

There's various articles describing France as the new European hotspot, so I've just looked at the rolling 7-day average of daily new cases, and it seems Spain is getting on top of it. having peaked at 7435 on 26th Aug. & dropped to 2933 yesterday, whereas France continues to go up, increasing between the same dates from 4077 to 6454, an increase of almost 60%.

Currently there are differences in hospitalisation though. So Spain has topped 7k in total, which is a quarter of its very high peak, so still pretty high, reflected in deaths rising to 40-odd per day. France had on average just over 200 per day hospital admittances last week, which is still quite low - represents an overall rise in hospital numbers of around 100 per day. So France isn't out of control... yet.

UK hospitalisation rate is still around 100 per day. Total in hospital has bottomed out at 750-odd currently. Stopped falling but not rising significantly... yet.

Caveat to all that would be that Spain's initial case rises were not accompanied by hospitalisation rises. Those came a while later as, perhaps, the young had time to spread it to the old.

Case fatality rate is about 1 in 100 isn't it? So if there are 40 deaths in a day it means 4,000 people might have caught it in that day unless I've misunderstood something?

Case fatality rate is about 1 in 100 isn't it? So if there are 40 deaths in a day it means 4,000 people might have caught it in that day unless I've misunderstood something?
Don't think you can assume that FW, remember there will be a lag between catching it, hospitalisation and death. And that lad will be different for different patients.

Case fatality rate is about 1 in 100 isn't it? So if there are 40 deaths in a day it means 40,000 people might have caught it in that day unless I've misunderstood something?
Depends who is getting it. Mortality rate in over 75s is around 1 in 10. In children it's more like 1 in 100,000. Antibody tests have been showing that, although it is mostly older people dying, a higher proportion of younger people have been catching it.

Eta: there is also perhaps some reason for optimism that the mortality rate is falling. Fewer deaths per hospitalisation in Spain atm than there were in it first wave.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDC
Don't think you can assume that FW, remember there will be a lag between catching it, hospitalisation and death. And that lad will be different for different patients.
I guess the 1 in 100 number is going to be different for different groups of patients too.

Reactions: LDC
According to antibody test results yes.

Completely guessing, but I wonder if that's partly due to difficult history taking from older people, and picking out specific and new symptoms from underlying ongoing health issues....? So not asymptomatic as such, but harder to pinpoint. Classic cliched old person fallen down the stairs and with a broken hip just saying it's a bit sore kinda thing...

Completely guessing, but I wonder if that's partly due to difficult history taking from older people, and picking out specific and new symptoms from underlying ongoing health issues....? So not asymptomatic as such, but harder to pinpoint. Classic cliched old person fallen down the stairs and with a broken hip just saying it's a bit sore kinda thing...
Could be yeah. All these estimates have high degrees of uncertainty.

It is a complex subject though, and for example I'm sure I've read care home outbreak studies where there were plenty of asymptomatic residents who tested positive, not just asymptomatic staff. So a lack of symptoms is not reserved for the young only.

Currently there are differences in hospitalisation though. So Spain has topped 7k in total, which is a quarter of its very high peak, so still pretty high, reflected in deaths rising to 40-odd per day. France had on average just over 200 per day hospital admittances last week, which is still quite low - represents an overall rise in hospital numbers of around 100 per day. So France isn't out of control... yet.

UK hospitalisation rate is still around 100 per day. Total in hospital has bottomed out at 750-odd currently. Stopped falling but not rising significantly... yet.

Caveat to all that would be that Spain's initial case rises were not accompanied by hospitalisation rises. Those came a while later as, perhaps, the young had time to spread it to the old.

I'm glad you are keeping an eye on those numbers, I dont like talking about them on my own and I want people to double-check the pictures I present.

Where did you get the peak hospital number for the first wave in Spain? Their data was a mess during that period and I dont have good numbers until some point in May, when they were well past the peak, and even then the data format was not good till a few weeks ago. Up until April they were initially publishing hospital numbers by region as if they were cumulative totals of all hospitalised cases so far. But then numbers for a couple of those regions started to fall, which obviously shouldnt happen with cumulative totals, and then they started putting small print in about how a bunch of the regions were showing current numbers, not overall totals. But not all the regions, so it was a big mess. I could tell that Madrid peaked at around 15000 people in hospital because that was one of the regions that was reporting current numbers not totals, but I never found an overall peak hospital number for Spain as a whole.

Its funny that I dont actually agree about the usual lag between cases rises and hospitalisations when it comes to Spain during their virus resurgence. The delay was very small, smaller than I think we are used to seeing in this sort of data. Now I havent been tracking their daily number of cases myself, I just referred to a graph on worldometer for that. Daily positive cases increased by some stage in June, but didnt reach the sort of numbers where we would take note until July. And by 14th July I can see the number of 'cases hospitalised in the last 7 days' start to rise in a pretty consistent way. Modest at first for sure, with the figure on July 14th being about 10 times lower than the equaivalent 7 day total for September 3rd. But it was there and quite clear from quite early on, unlike what we often seem to see.

One reason for this might be partially explained by some other data. I believe the following numbers are for the period of May 10th onwards, so dont include the first peak, but rather everything from May 10th onwards when they presumably got their data in slightly better shape. Anyway the reason I am posting it is to point out that hospital figures are not simply driven by the old and not the young, at least not to the extent that people tend to end up thinking. Especially when very large numbers of young people are catching it, since a small percentage of a large number is still a substantial number.

Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 13.59.35.png
From https://www.isciii.es/QueHacemos/Se... COVID-19. Nº 42_03 de septiembre de 2020.pdf

France had on average just over 200 per day hospital admittances last week, which is still quite low - represents an overall rise in hospital numbers of around 100 per day. So France isn't out of control... yet.

Yeah I've been looking into that. I'd say the numbers in hospital for France are somewhat affected by the fact that in a number of regions the overall numbers in hospital were still falling, providing a fair bit of room for the falls to offset the increases. And this hasnt changed much in most regions yet. Although when I am saying 'a fair bit of room' this is because Im also assuming thats because there was still some downwards pressure on numbers as people who had been in hospital for ages were still finally coming out of that category in fair numbers. So it is certainly a good idea to look at daily new hospitalisations figures instead, as you have done. And when I graph those by region, we can see that the increases seen recently have been driven by a couple of regions so far. I'll need to start studying their number of positive cases per day per region in order to predict whether this picture will change in the near future, ie whether many other regions will start to show obvious rises soon.

Numbers currently in hospital by region (I didnt get round to entering all the data from before July to this yet):

Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 16.25.47.png
Number of hospital admission per day:

Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 16.29.12.png

Number of hospital admissions per day in rolling 7 day averages format, so basically just another way to show the data from the previous graph:
Screenshot 2020-09-06 at 16.28.13.png

Last edited:
A rare glimpse of someone in the UK media actually getting in on the European hospital situation and what it might mean for the UK angle. I suppose we will see more of this and less need for me to drone on, if this sort of thing is now part of what they are being briefed by the government etc.

From analysis by Hugh Pym within the following article.

What Matt Hancock and health officials are worried about is that the UK might follow the same path as France and Spain, where increases in infections amongst younger adults led after a few weeks to higher numbers of admissions to hospitals for older and more vulnerable patients.

The situation in Greece is far worse than it was earlier in the year. There’s also an increase in younger people being hospitalised.

The latest surge in the coronavirus cases in Greece is showing a tendency toward stabilization but deaths and intensive care hospitalizations, especially among young people, are on the rise, the country’s Covid Observatory said in its 13th report on Friday.
The report that provides details on the cases, tests and population movements, underlined that the extensive spread of the virus among younger people is worrying and reveals that the higher percentage of cases is aged under 40.

At the same time, the large number of relatively younger patients that have been intubated, has lowered the average age of those intubated due to Covid-19 to 39 years old.

ETA: but see the comment from elbows below.

Last edited:
The situation in Greece is far worse than it was earlier in the year. There’s also an increase in younger people being hospitalised.

The following bit didnt sound right:

At the same time, the large number of relatively younger patients that have been intubated, has lowered the average age of those intubated due to Covid-19 to 39 years old.

So I checked. This is the first time I am looking at official reports and data from Greece. So maybe I will make a mistake too. But it looks like they made a massive mistake with that reporting. I found the 13th report and machine translated a bit and it actually said:

Extensive dispersal at younger ages continues to be of particular concern. This is reflected both in the increased number of cases under the age of 40 and in the influx of intubated severe cases in relatively young age groups. Specifically, the average age of cases is 39 years.

From 13η Έκθεση Προόδου Παρατηρητηρίου | CoVid19.gov.gr

And then I attempted to double-check my facts by looking at intubation numbers in daily reports here:

And it looked to me like as of the latest numbers, there was currently nobody under 40 intubated (12 people 40-64, 29 people 65+).

If you see the sort of sudden and dramatic falls as you saw in the case numbers for Spain, its best to assume its a data issue or a testing system issue.

In this case I'm afraid the more recent numbers for Spain are incomplete, as per comments on the worldometer site:

From Aug. 31 onward, figures for daily new cases only include cases already validated by the Ministry of Health in the daily PDF report. Since the validation process takes time to complete, additional cases are expected to be added retroactively once the weekly historical dataset revision is released by the Ministry of Health on Thursday, Sept. 10. Data up to Aug. 30 reflects the latest release of the official "Historical Series of Cases by Autonomous Community" dataset released by the Ministry of Health [source] [source]

edited to add- it isnt likely to be only a few cases added retroactively either. I went backed and looked at some of the daily data for a recent period that we do actually have more complete data for now, and the daily numbers were many thousands short of the more complete numbers for those dates that were eventually published. It is reasonable to expect that when better data is available for early September, it will show a continued rise, a levelling off or a modest fall, rather than the huge drop presently shown by charts that are misleading without the smallprint.

Last edited:

Recently I remembered this from June because at the time I checked and the shithead saying it was also Berlusconis doctor, as I mentioned in response back then. And I note that the shit idea he was peddling then that the virus has lost its potency was nowhere to be found months later when the very same doctor advised Berlusconi to go to hospital.

1h ago 17:12

“All monitored parameters... are reassuring,” said his doctor Alberto Zangrillo, adding that his medical condition was in “constant favourable evolution”.

Following a check-up on Thursday evening at Berlusconi’s home, Zangrillo insisted that the former PM go to the hospital the same night, later saying his patient was “at risk because of his age and previous illnesses”.

Back
Top Bottom