Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus - worldwide breaking news, discussion, stats, updates and more

Other than the pain of false accusations that is, aaaaararrrghhhhhh the pain. It sucks. I'm sorry that the article caused you pain, and that my interpretation of it added to the pain rather than helping it diminish. Now how do I get rid of my pain?
What accusation?

In any case, stepping away from this is probably a good idea for both of us.

I should have posted on a different thread and could have just said what I thought of it rather than asking people to interpret it.

Rather than it being “Africans as opposed to humans”, isn’t it talking about “Africans as opposed to Asians/Europeans” being exposed to “coronaviruses that cause colds in humans” vs “in animals”?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

^ This is a line. I hope drawn under it. Let's all step away and do nicer things x

What accusation?

In any case, stepping away from this is probably a good idea for both of us.

I should have posted on a different thread and could have just said what I thought of it rather than asking people to interpret it.

That people such as myself were unable to see racial bias in a sentence. As opposed to my position that there was no bias of that sort there to see, so thats why I dont see it.

I am happy to step away from this now, thanks for listening.

Bwaaaahhhhh I went to Facebook to get away from it all and try to relax and I swear this was one of the first things that came up on my feed. I had to share it here, I just couldnt resist, and hopefully the sense of humour involved is not unique to me otherwise I'm fucking up again by posting it here and now. And most of the humour just stems from the timing of it. I also had to remove someones photo and name from it.

Screenshot 2020-08-29 at 16.28.20.png

India sets a new record. :(

India on Sunday set a new virus record when it reported 78,761 new infections in 24 hours, according to health ministry figures, passing the United States for the world’s highest single-day rise.

India, home to 1.3 billion people, is already the world’s third-most infected nation with more than 3.5 million cases, behind the US and Brazil.

It has also reported more than 63,000 deaths.

India sets a new record. :(

More rubbish news reporting, failing to present figures in context of population size. It's misleading to say it's the world's "third most infected nation". Per head of population, it's nothing like that.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 13.52.22.jpg

Places like Argentina have been getting in the news and I can see why from that graph, but I havent had any time to read about Argentina myself.

Also I dont think there is a perfect measure available to us either when it comes to positive cases.

Normalised by population has some strengths but like the other measures can still end up being unfair or misleading in several ways. If there was a tidy way to also normalise by resting regime/test capacity that would help. And a lot of the time the big outbreaks are regional, and we could improve our view of the scale and pace of such outbreaks by zooming in and looking at regional numbers normalised by the size of that regions population. But then there is always the question of how far it is appropriate to zoom in, and that is going to vary.

India's population is so much bigger than most countries though, you can only really hope to make a start at trying to understand a comparison with other places if you normalise for that first.

I've just noticed that my favoured graph site now shows % test positivity for some countries, which is perhaps interesting to look at because it ought to remove distortions from population size and testing rate to some extent, although I'm sure there are all sorts of ways this can be misleading too.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 19.06.38.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 19.08.21.jpg

I've just noticed that my favoured graph site now shows % test positivity for some countries, which is perhaps interesting to look at because it ought to remove distortions from population size and testing rate to some extent, although I'm sure there are all sorts of ways this can be misleading too.

Yeah its an important one that authorities often take seriously and use to reduce the chances of them misinterpreting some of their own data.

Spain not looking good :(

That sort of thing is why I started looking at their hospital data and didnt react very well to the idea that the hospital data didnt look that horrendous.

Partly because of how bad the number of cases data looks, but partly because when we look at the current case rates compared to the first peak on their graph, we dont really know how to compair them fairly. It seems reasonable to believe that although things have gotten bad in Spain again, that they are capable of detecting more cases now than they were for the first peaks rise, and that therefore the current number of actual cases has not yet risen to the same level as really happened in the first peak. But to what extent, how am I supposed to recalibrate the data to take account of this fairly? I dont think I can, other than by taking percentage positive rates over time into account, and augmenting the picture with hospital data and death data.

Scotland introduces restrictions for people returning from Greece.

The issue is partly about the outbreak on Zakynthos. Reporting of cases there has been called into question by the local branch of Syriza. There’s a clear incentive for the Greek government to underreport cases to delay the introduction of quarantine restrictions and protect the tourist industry.

Last edited:
Interesting looking article about pandemics and stuff.

gr2.jpg

Full paper -

Interesting looking article about pandemics and stuff.

gr2.jpg

Full paper -

Somewhat less pessimistic outcomes/options might also be available, possibly .......
Note complacency-avoiding caveats ;)

I do think that the above article, whilst fascinating and also scary, is (possibly???) at risk (only that?) of being just as speculative as other papers and possibilities out there, about great vaccines and cures being available by quite-soon ......

Premature assumptions are worth avoiding in both directions IMO.
I appreciate that both pessimism and optimism are pretty easy to give in to .... :oops:

Top of the worldometers scoreboard is not really somewhere you want to be :(
And, they have only tested around 33k per million, putting them at the 120 position on the worldometers scoreboard, well behind the likes of the UK & US on around 250k, both of which have been hopeless.
D

Back
Top Bottom