Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

I'm torn on that one. They're offering 50% refunds, based on having already paid crew. But it's difficult to see how they mean to go ahead safely if they're not telling anyone how!

Socially distanced in largish cinemas. Quite a lot of stuff is being shown online too. Only one venue concerns me as it's very small
(I should add that the main venue is the Town Hall, which is massive, but still hard to get tickets for if you’re on your own)

It was half in a railway arch so you could sit outside or inside and all drinks were by waiter service, with no standing.

So in theory so long as you kept outside you could mix in groups of up to 6 people, but if you went inside you could only sit with someone from your household. It was odd.
Sounds like it was workable though, which is encouraging.

Here's some pics from Saturday's gig:

In photos: live bands at the Neutral Zone event at Amp Studios, SE15, Sat 24th Oct 2020

In photos: live bands at the Neutral Zone event at Amp Studios, SE15, Sat 24th Oct 2020

Intriguing new stuff today in Somerset News from a man called Ben Challis, described as 'general counsel' for Glastonbury Festival.

Somerset News said:
Ben Challis, general counsel for Glastonbury Festival, has revealed the current complex situation for the world-famous music event, including booking acts, touring schedules, virus testing measures and providing refunds.

Speaking on the latest Behind The Noise podcast, he said: "At Glastonbury Festival, we are still looking at June 2021.

... and then he goes into more detail about the complications. Amongst other stuff mainly relating to band-booking (and rebooking!) logistics, he also says this :
Challis in Somerset News said:
"We as a festival do look at the vaccine as the solution," he said.
"However, Melvin Benn, who runs Festival Republic, looked at this idea of minimising risk by having pre-show tests of your audience.
"You would have to have a negative result pre-show, and then have a temperature check on the gate.
"So you say everybody has to be tested at home, or on the way down you get tested, it would be a huge logistical thing but its possible, so 99.99 per cent of people there would be covid-free.
"Is it any less safe than anything else we do in life?"

If I had to bet right now I'd say Glastonbury (or any other major festival) won't happen next year. I hope I'm wrong but we're approaching the cutoff for getting a lot of things into place.

I tend to agree really ( :( ), but both the above stories are recent.

Both Mr Challis and Mr Eavis are adding various cautious phrases, correctly so.

But they also want to do the best they can. They're not going to annouce a full cancellation unti they have to, and what it really seems that they're doing is vaccine focussed, or testing focussed, or both.

I'm on a several-pint bet with a (John Peel Stage crewing) mate here in Swansea, about both vaccines AND Glastonbury in 2021, he wants me to win :D, and I think he will win :(

But nothing's ruled out yet -- that's why I'm keeping a big eye on it in all still.

The timescale for a vaccine saving the 2021 festival simply doesn't work.

You could very well be right, and I fear that myself :(.

But there've been hugely varying predictions, including in science and medical journals, about how soon a safe vaccine might be approved.

The real issue is the logistics and timing of distribution/availability of any vaccines.

But the desparation of Governments to be able to distribute vaccinations, and all the money that's gone into research and programmes, could (IMO) leave the door still a bit open to surprising us next year, Possibly.

Anyway, both Mr Challis and Mr Eavis were talking as well about testing, not just vaccines .......

It’s more a case of priority. Getting people into a field to listen to some music is - rightly - going to be way down the list when it comes to dishing out a vaccine. Which doesn’t even exist yet.

At no point whatsoever have I argued that festival-goers should be prioritised (over others) for any vaccine! :(

Some of my stuff above relates to other thoughts I had about vaccine-prospects more generally -- but that's probably better off in a different thread anyway, tbf :oops:

I mainly brought vaccine stuff up here because Glastonbury people --Challis and Eavis -- raised the thing, and I thought the story might be of interest.

At no point whatsoever have I argued that festival-goers should be prioritised (over others) for any vaccine! :(

Some of my stuff above relates to other thoughts I had about vaccine-prospects more generally -- but that's probably better off in a different thread anyway, tbf :oops:

I mainly brought vaccine stuff up here because Glastonbury people --Challis and Eavis -- raised the thing, and I thought the story might be of interest.
Hate to be a pessimist (again) here guys. Am in discussions with venues who are already looking to postpone/cancel high footfall events in June 2021.

These include some events that have government 'support for international trade' reasons/backing.

Back
Top Bottom