Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

It's usually in the Summer so this is the rescheduled one, I guess they hoped it would all be over by now.

LCBF is the week after, also rescheduled (from August).

Matter of time I'd say.
100% not happening.

My main event was due in March 2020
Delayed initially till July 2020
Moved to March 2021
Now provisionally moved to June 2021

Behind the scenes the venues are cancelling and moving these events. The events are not formally cancelling/rescheduling until they have prepared a plan and worked out their financial exposure.

Oddly I have had very few punters requesting refunds and tickets are still selling. All this money is held by the ticket agency until after the event (hence why I am unemployed :facepalm:

80% of the participating companies are not complaining. Some have requested refunds but that can't be done sadly.

As 10:00 approached I expected a hard eviction from the venue but they allowed us all to drift out over the next 15 or 20 minutes so there was no bulge of people on the pavement outside.
That's clearly sensible but very risky for the venue. In Brixton, at least one venue I know had inspectors rocking up at 10.01 ready to dish out a fine if there was any members of the public still inside.

Also worth noting that the event I have moved to June 2021 is at ExCel which is a modern, high ceiling venue with almost unlimited financial support (UAE owned).

Venues like Tobacco Dock/Olympia/Ally Pally are nice buildings but old and won't be able to cope with the distancing/cleaning/staffing issues as well :(

Also worth noting that the event I have moved to June 2021 is at ExCel which is a modern, high ceiling venue with almost unlimited financial support (UAE owned).

Venues like Tobacco Dock/Olympia/Ally Pally are nice buildings but old and won't be able to cope with the distancing/cleaning/staffing issues as well :(

Aye, most of the foodie stuff like Speciality Fine Food Fair (Olympia) and Farm Show and Deli show (NEC) rescheduled and then cancelled a while back but they're run by big events companies. LCBF are a small operation so were hoping against hope I guess. As you say, it won't be going ahead, Tobacco Dock is cramped enough at normal times.

IFE (at Excel, biggest food show in the UK, possibly Europe, I'm not sure) dodged a bullet as it is biannual so they weren't scheduled for this year anyway.

I bought tickets for IDLES next June and I'm not confident that will go ahead.

I bought tickets for IDLES next June and I'm not confident that will go ahead
My guess is 50/50 for most 2021 events/festivals sadly. The 'big venue' events (Excel/NEC) events will be tricky. The venues will prioritise the biggest money making event's. The smaller events will have to take up the less popular dates.

I usually only run big events in March-April and September-November.

That's clearly sensible but very risky for the venue. In Brixton, at least one venue I know had inspectors rocking up at 10.01 ready to dish out a fine if there was any members of the public still inside.

I know. And I was surprised. But this place is quite tucked away and all the regulars value it, so everyone was up and ready to leave at 10:00. No persistent lurking. I guess they’re prepared to take the chance.

This has to be the future, for gigs/events as well as travel. In Italy they are trialling this on the Rome-Milan air route on 2 flights a day, the test result comes back within 30 minutes, then you are allowed to check in. Germany thinks they have a test that will come back in under 10 minutes. Both the Italian and German ones are 90% accurate, the regular PCR test is 95% accurate. 90% is good enough for me.

edit, World-beating twat Grant Schapps will today outline the UK's plan to possibly reduce quarantine to 5 or 6 days later. Well not a plan, a task force to look in to formulating a plan. Useless shower of cunts.

World-beating twat Grant Schapps will today outline the UK's plan to possibly reduce quarantine to 5 or 6 days later. Well not a plan, a task force to look in to formulating a plan. Useless shower of cunts.
Seems good timing with cases, hospital admissions and deaths rising.

100% not happening.

My main event was due in March 2020
Delayed initially till July 2020
Moved to March 2021
Now provisionally moved to June 2021

Behind the scenes the venues are cancelling and moving these events. The events are not formally cancelling/rescheduling until they have prepared a plan and worked out their financial exposure.

Oddly I have had very few punters requesting refunds and tickets are still selling. All this money is held by the ticket agency until after the event (hence why I am unemployed :facepalm:

80% of the participating companies are not complaining. Some have requested refunds but that can't be done sadly.

I just received an email from LCBF (we attended as a supplier last year) that they are going ahead with social distancing in place. I can't see it myself TBH.

I just received an email from LCBF (we attended as a supplier last year) that they are going ahead with social distancing in place. I can't see it myself TBH.
Would be staggered if it does go ahead. Especially given people will be day drinking and the set up in that venue.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT events happening ASAP but this seems like false hope to me. Also unfair on the suppliers and people who are making plans, outlaying money, booking travel/accommodation etc etc...

What is happening to the industry is horrid but so is C19. If they (somehow) plough ahead despite the rising cases and deaths then they will be hurting the whole industry longer than the already crippling delays/postponements/cancellations.

Would be staggered if it does go ahead. Especially given people will be day drinking and the set up in that venue.

Don't get me wrong. I WANT events happening ASAP
but this seems like false hope to me. Also unfair on the suppliers and people who are making plans, outlaying money, booking travel/accommodation etc etc...

What is happening to the industry is horrid but so is C19. If they (somehow) plough ahead despite the rising cases and deaths then they will be hurting the whole industry longer than the already crippling delays/postponements/cancellations.

Me too.

We're not doing it. Even if we had the budget I wouldn't expose myself or my co workers to the risk.

Me too.

We're not doing it. Even if we had the budget I wouldn't expose myself or my co workers to the risk.
Yeah. Shit innit :(

Have spent a lot of time being positive with people/organisations but this is a time to be realistic. Have had to sign a couple of NDAs with venues but can at least tell you honestly the outlook is bleak.

As for exposure if an event had cases of C-19 or worse deaths associated with it that that is a fucking mess and a half.

Yeah. Shit innit :(

Have spent a lot of time being positive with people/organisations but this is a time to be realistic. Have had to sign a couple of NDAs with venues but can at least tell you honestly the outlook is bleak.

As for exposure if an event had cases of C-19 or worse deaths associated with it that that is a fucking mess and a half.

It really does suck, I feel for you and all the other people involved. My days on the organising side of events is passed but I had a lot of good times and still have mates who work in clubs, on the road and in hospitality. It's really starting to bite, but I know you don't need me to tell you that. :(

According to some true crime podcasrs I listen to, CrimeCon is going ahead next June. And tickets are on sale now in a 'Covid safe' purchase :hmm:

According to some true crime podcasrs I listen to, CrimeCon is going ahead next June. And tickets are on sale now in a 'Covid safe' purchase :hmm:
Next June is possible (50/50 as I said) but I don't think anyone can plan anything more than 'provisionally' till early next year.

Events can sell tickets. The ticket money will usually (check this though) be held by a ticketing agency until the event has been delivered (to a decent standard). So as a punter you can book if you want and get a refund if the event is moved or cancelled.

At this time there will be almost no companies paying for involvement/sponsorship and next to impossible to get commitment from speakers and such.

Unfortunately someone I knew from uni in the events industry seems to of got into anti mask conspiracy type beliefs :(
Protectionism. Not unsurprising wanting to protect your interests or your company/industry in times like this.

"Just an amazing thing to witness today; 100’s of musicians performing Mars from Holst’s The Planets at Parliament Square. They performed the first 90 seconds then stood in standstill for a minute after that, to highlight that being a freelance musician IS a viable profession. As if you actually have to confirm this. I’m sure you know how much Arts & Culture & musical events provide to the economy. Massive kudos to Jess Murphy for being the catalyst for this incredible event & to all the fantastic players involved. #letmusiclive #wemakeevents "

Rapid testing has to be the answer to the whole pandemic. I can't see a fully protective vaccine rolled out to everyone coming soon, if at all.

Dare I speculate 'bollocks', but JUST (and only) to your 'if at all' point re vaccines? :hmm:

My optimism-levels are decreasing a fair bit :( concerning any time soon, to emphasise that I do have some realism here.

But! :confused: ;) :(

spitfire : are you actually involved wth the London Craft Beer Festival? Or do you just know people? :)

Separately, in CAMRA-world, no (CAMRA-covered) beer festivals are expected to occur anywhere before Easter at the very earliest :(

Here in Swansea, we're only mildly optimistic(-ish!) that we'll have our Swansea Bay event late next fucking AUGUST
(BH weekend ;) )

And we have to decide by Easter 2021 as well :hmm:

Admittedly ours is pretty big -- 100 beers, 45 ciders in 2019.

But our best mate (a professional brewer, and the fest's beer-orderer :cool: :thumbs: ) is already saying we'll have to reduce the order a fair bit if we even go ahead ...... :thumbsdown:

spitfire : are you actually involved wth the London Craft Beer Festival? Or do you just know people? :)

Separately, in CAMRA-world, no (CAMRA-covered) beer festivals are expected to occur anywhere before Easter at the very earliest :(

Here in Swansea, we're only mildly optimistic(-ish!) that we'll have our Swansea Bay event late next fucking AUGUST
(BH weekend ;) )

And we have to decide by Easter 2021 as well :hmm:

Admittedly ours is pretty big -- 100 beers, 45 ciders in 2019.

But our best mate (a professional brewer, and the fest's beer-orderer :cool: :thumbs: ) is already saying we'll have to reduce the order a fair bit if we even go ahead ...... :thumbsdown:

Sorry William, meant to reply last night.

Not involved on an organisational level although we did appear there last year and were looking at doing all 5 this year. I know Dan the owner a little bit from that and he's a nice guy. Hopefully he is on top of the risks, this isn't his first rodeo.

I think Badgers is right though.

Protectionism. Not unsurprising wanting to protect your interests or your company/industry in times like this.
Yeah, a couple of bar owners I know are heading down this route - I had a short and only mildly irritable exchange with them on facebook today when one of them shared an article about some lockdown denying scientists that was hosted on a website that also featured lurid anti-Bill Gates conspiracy theories, general anti-vax stuff, Trump boosters, and an entire section of the site dedicated to UFO sightings...

Being perfectly honest, I've got tickets to see The Specials in just under a year's time and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's cancelled. If I don't think it's safe then, I won't be going, either.

I'm hoping travel between here and The Isles of Scilly will be okay next May when I've got a holiday booked. But again, if it doesn't feel right, I'll be cancelling.

Was really fucked off by Sunak hanging the events industry out to dry earlier this week. I can't recall that happening to the finance industry when they ballsed everything up for us that time.

Being perfectly honest, I've got tickets to see The Specials in just under a year's time and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's cancelled. If I don't think it's safe then, I won't be going, either.

I'm hoping travel between here and The Isles of Scilly will be okay next May when I've got a holiday booked. But again, if it doesn't feel right, I'll be cancelling.

Was really fucked off by Sunak hanging the events industry out to dry earlier this week. I can't recall that happening to the finance industry when they ballsed everything up for us that time.

Now, now. That's unfair. The govt. have setup a website to help people find new careers. Suggested my mate, who was a full time DJ and graf artist becomes a cake decorator!
Sorted.

Back
Top Bottom