Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

Not one I've been to, but this popped up on my fb feed just now.

Good luck to them:

– We will be sending you a simple compulsory online questionnaire that MUST be completed between 31st July and 2nd August. If you have not completed the questionnaire in advance you will not be allowed on site.

– Social distancing rules will be compulsory throughout the site at all times – please remember to stick to a 2m distance wherever possible from those not in your household or support bubble.
On occasions, a 1m distance is acceptable, but only for short periods of times, or where people are sat back-to-back.

– There will be hand sanitising stations and hand washing facilities around the site, but we do also recommend bringing your own stash to make sure you’re never caught dry!

– Please remember to read THE CURRENT GOVERNMENT GUIDELINES on what you can and cannot do by clicking here
this includes:

• Sticking in groups of up to 30 if you are from ONLY TWO HOUSEHOLDS and up to 6 people if you are from multiple households.
  • DO NOT interact socially with anyone outside the group you are attending a place with, even if you see other people you know!
– There will be three areas (1, 2 & 3… funnily enough!) & you will be allocated to an area that you will be asked to try to stay in throughout the course of the weekend. The main arena will be divided, as will the campsite & live-in vehicle section. Toilets will also be allocated to each arena, please try to use the toilets that are designated for your particular area and not any others. Spaces in each area will be taken on a first come first served basis – please do not send me an email, you will be sent a link where you can select your area.

– Seated audience ONLY in the main arena – sadly, as much as we (especially myself) love to dance, there will not be a communal standing/dancing area.
However, you will be allowed to ‘seatdance’. There will be socially distanced benches available for use, if you would prefer to bring your own picnic blanket/chairs, you are more than welcome to do this, and we encourage you to do so to avoid touching shared surfaces.

– Whilst we love to see you all enjoying yourselves, we ask that you please refrain from talking over the performance when in the main arena. There will be ample breaks in the music to allow for normal conversation, but we ask that you try not to raise your voice, shout or sing when in the main arena.

– The rules apply to everybody, adults, children & dogs (ish). Adults are responsible for their children, so please make sure they are also abiding by the social distancing rules. Please remember to keep your four-legged furry friends on a lead AT ALL TIMES.

– Unfortunately, there will be no kids zone at this event.

– A new one way system will be in place throughout the arena.
There will be clear signage – please follow it!

– We strongly recommend bringing a face mask – it doesn’t need to be worn at all times, but we do advise that you wear one whilst queuing either for the bar or toilet. Alternatively, you will be able to purchase one on arrival at the main gate.

Not one I've been to, but this popped up on my fb feed just now.

That's an event that might? be worth investigating next year, maybe :)

ETA : I'm reacting just to the bands and cider aspects, here!

But I've also just seen what editor posted. I understand the rules/restrictions and I wouldn't be annoying and object to their seeing the need to apply them. Safety is paramount at any event, after all.
But I would hope that by summer 2021, it might become safe and possible to relax some? of them, at least to an extent .... we can but wait and see.

Last edited:
Fucking hell, this sounds amazing. ly awful.

"People were ready to party in the Hamptons, and Goldman Sachs Chief Executive David Solomon, fresh off a great quarter and a multibillion-dollar fine to settle criminal charges in Malaysia, was one of them.

So were parking, security, tech and sound crews, many of whom hadn’t worked for months.

They came together on a field Saturday night for an epic event in any Hamptons season, more so in the time of Covid-19: the first Safe & Sound drive-in concert. A couple of thousand people -- including the Winklevoss twins -- were in attendance, dancing on the grass and the tops of their cars to the Chainsmokers."

Fucking hell, this sounds amazing. ly awful.

"People were ready to party in the Hamptons, and Goldman Sachs Chief Executive David Solomon, fresh off a great quarter and a multibillion-dollar fine to settle criminal charges in Malaysia, was one of them.

So were parking, security, tech and sound crews, many of whom hadn’t worked for months.

They came together on a field Saturday night for an epic event in any Hamptons season, more so in the time of Covid-19: the first Safe & Sound drive-in concert. A couple of thousand people -- including the Winklevoss twins -- were in attendance, dancing on the grass and the tops of their cars to the Chainsmokers."

Vile ugly wealth and privilege.

“Standing up there and watching the sunset, looking out over this huge field of cars and people on their cars, it was absolutely beautiful,” Solomon said Monday in an interview. “The group that put this together did an incredible job in a difficult environment. If we work together and are thoughtful, we can do things that feel more normal and allow us to live with this virus safely.”

While the musical acts performed, about 350 people hired for the event at Nova’s Ark Project in Water Mill were dealing with conditions on the ground. About 500 cars were parked in spots that cost as much as $25,000, with the top tier including an air-conditioned RV and private bathroom. Crews also cleaned the portable toilets every 10 minutes.

Valets dressed in white polos and khakis found ways to be helpful, like stopping the Surf Lodge vehicle from backing into some beach chairs as its driver tried to maneuver into a spot (the white lines delineating them had been sprayed on Friday). Others in golf carts dropped off bags of ice so guests could keep their drinks cold. (A crew of two ran from vehicle to cooler, row by row, under a blazing sun with cans of Red Bull and BrightFox.)

On a mildly positive note, it looks like we'll now be going to 'A Night at the Abbey' (open-air!) on Friday 28th August.
We've bought tickets anyway.

The bands are very small (Funke though!! :) ), the audience numbers (apparantly) limited to 500.
And space around the grounds of Glastonbury Abbey is plentiful -- it's huge.

The Abbey staff told me on Friday that although bring-your-own-chair ;) is allowed, a lot of other distancing restrictions will be carefully applied.

We look forward to going to a Glastonbury Festival after all! :) :cool:

Last edited:
Red Rooster announce details of their COVID policy.

This is presumably quite a small festival.

I read those while all the time thinking about how and whether those rules (or similar) would work for larger events ... :confused:

It's interesting how many rules Red Rooster need to apply, and their details.

I understand why, and they're all logical (the 'moonshine wristband' malarkey was to me a bit :eek: though! ;) )

They're pretty clearly written (IMO) and the organisers are obviously trying their best to be nice and friendly about everything.

But let's see how other events manage next year!

This is presumably quite a small festival.

I read those while all the time thinking about how and whether those rules (or similar) would work for larger events ... :confused:

It's interesting how many rules Red Rooster need to apply, and their details.

I understand why, and they're all logical (the 'moonshine wristband' malarkey was to me a bit :eek: though! ;) )

They're pretty clearly written (IMO) and the organisers are obviously trying their best to be nice and friendly about everything.

But let's see how other events manage next year!

The owners are VERY rich - Euston Hall is the home of the Dukes of Grafton and one of the festival's founders. So basically you are attending their party on his estate. Probably not to the taste of many here. That said the grounds are stunningly beautiful, the vibe cool and laid back in all respects. I saw Alabama 3 in a brilliant acoustic set a couple of years back and the band seemed happy hanging around with the Duke and his pals afterwards FWIW.

Bit of a disaster then

A gig used to trial safety measures for the return of live music "did not succeed" in providing a blueprint for the industry, according to the manager of the venue that hosted the event.

Folk rocker Frank Turner played to a socially-distanced audience at London's Clapham Grand on Tuesday.

Only 200 people attended, compared to the venue's normal capacity of 1,250.

Venue manager Ally Wolf said the government-backed pilot was not financially viable for venues.

"It can't be the future for live music, it can't be the future for venues," he said, noting that the show did not make enough money to cover the venue's operating costs, even before the performer's fee was taken into account.

Just been sent this:

Camden Oktoberfest Reveal London's First Post-Lockdown Oktoberfest Celebrations

Finally there is something on the horizon we can all look forward to in our post lockdown world and it is something very special indeed. Across the first four Saturdays in October 2020, the unmissable Camden Oktoberfest returns once again to prove itself the most complete, the most considered and the coolest celebration of the famous Bavarian beer festival.

This year will be another perfect pairing of the merry traditions of Oktoberfest with a modern twist featuring cutting edge live brass bands and DJs at Electric Ballroom, one of Camden’s leading music venues. The region's largest Oktoberfest will take over this historic venue for daytime sessions from 12midday to 6pm and evening sessions from 8pm to 2am on Saturdays 3rd, 10th, 17th and 24th October.

What's more, in light of the current Covid-19 Coronavirus Pandemic, if the event has to be cancelled, all tickets will be automatically refunded.

Imagine a fully decked out Bavarian beer hall complete with traditional beer tables, Oktoberfest bunting, miles of delicious sausage including authentic German Bratwurst, grilled Black Forest sausage, Currywurst, pretzel alternatives Brotzel plus giant sloshing steins of German beer. Full fancy dress is encouraged so that you can feel right at home at this raucous party and to add an extra dimension to the already sensory tickling delights on offer. To complement the theme, your host waitresses and waiters will be decked out in authentic Dirndl and Lederhosen as they keep your steins filled to the brim.

The mouth watering beers originate from across Germany and are supplied by Spaten, Löwenbräu & Becks, so you should expect only the finest Bavarian brews. Other big news for 2020 is that legendary Bratwurst sausage street food trader Herman Ze German is the exclusive food partner.

All this will be accompanied by a thigh-slapping soundtrack. Headline act No Limit Street Band, who have been hugely impressive in previous years will return to bring their magic to Camden Oktoberfest. The eight piece brass band is made up of some of London's leading street musicians and they will lay down a foot stomping, beer swilling mix of pop, rock, hip hop, R&B, funk and soul covers to keep you entertained. Dancers, competitions and unique challenges keep the energy levels high until the party starting DJs that are Club De Fromage switch things up later on.

Covid-19 Safety - Most importantly, Camden Oktoberfest have been working closely with Electric Ballroom to develop safety precautions for this series of events to minimise risk to customers and staff. Each Oktoberfest session will operate on a 50% reduced capacity meaning all guests can be seated throughout. Other safety measures include the use of face masks and gloves by staff, Plexiglas shielded bars, bathroom attendants on duty: Hand sanitisers throughout, increased hygiene and cleaning, disposable single use glassware: Ushered one way system throughout, distanced queuing system at bars and apps for additional table service. There will also be an ID scan for track and trace purposes and temperature checks on entry.

As well as a standard entry ticket priced at £10, you can also go the extra mile and reserve a whole beer table for up to eight people in the main hall for just £280 which includes 2 beers for each person. VIP Booths are also on offer on the private balcony for up to eight people and also include two beers per person for £400.

Expect four dates of beer-fuelled, food-filled fun in a venue that will provide a bustling and triumphant atmosphere. Camden Oktoberfest is the authentic celebration of German food and drink culture giving you a perfect excuse for some much needed post-lockdown fun.

£10 Tickets and more information can be found at; https://www.camdenoktoberfest.com/

Press Enquiries
Chris Halliday | Grounded PR
chris@groundedlondon.com

Camden Oktoberfest 2020
At Electric Ballroom
184 Camden High St, Camden Town, London, NW1 8QP
020 7485 9006 | info@camdenoktoberfest.com

Oktoberfest Sessions

Saturday 3rd October
Daytime: 12midday - 6pm
Evening: 8pm - 2am

Saturday 10th October

Saturday 17th October

Saturday 24th October

Camden Oktoberfest said:
Covid-19 Safety - Most importantly, Camden Oktoberfest have been working closely with Electric Ballroom to develop safety precautions for this series of events to minimise risk to customers and staff. Each Oktoberfest session will operate on a 50% reduced capacity meaning all guests can be seated throughout. Other safety measures include the use of face masks and gloves by staff, Plexiglas shielded bars, bathroom attendants on duty: Hand sanitisers throughout, increased hygiene and cleaning, disposable single use glassware: Ushered one way system throughout, distanced queuing system at bars and apps for additional table service. There will also be an ID scan for track and trace purposes and temperature checks on entry.

/\ /\ Those safety measures look pretty reasonable and well-thought-out IMO :)

</thinking of what might be needed for return of CAMRA festivals next year ;) >

ETA : In our beerfest circles atm, we're not aware of any non-postponed or non-cancelled beerfests ahead of about February! :eek:
Even then's a tad opitimistic, we were saying ....

Might not be Camra but Bristol craft beer festival is on this year

Interesting ;), although the fest isn't that cheap ....

I've heard of this one, but never been. Good breweries involved.

And that's quite a surprise that it's [possibly/probably] happening, IMO.
I guess the fact that it's going to be open air (?? but 'Harbourside') must make quite a difference :)

Electric Ballroom says it has 1,500 capacity, so 50% of that would be 750 punters, plus serving staff. etc. drinking beer and talking for 6-hour sessions in an enclosed space, a little over 2 months from now - looks like one to steer clear of, especially since people are highly unlikely to be wearing masks and only taking them off when they want to nibble a pretzel or swig some beer - can't they find a suitable outdoor location?

For some reason the description made me imagine the whole thing staffed and attended by Futurama robots, now there's an event I would definitely go to.

Electric Ballroom says it has 1,500 capacity, so 50% of that would be 750 punters, plus serving staff. etc. drinking beer and talking for 6-hour sessions in an enclosed space, a little over 2 months from now - looks like one to steer clear of, especially since people are highly unlikely to be wearing masks and only taking them off when they want to nibble a pretzel or swig some beer - can't they find a suitable outdoor location?

For some reason the description made me imagine the whole thing staffed and attended by Futurama robots, now there's an event I would definitely go to.

/\ /\ Those safety measures look pretty reasonable and well-thought-out IMO :)

Maybe not all that good then :( :(

Inevitably, you can't think through everything straight away. We won't be going anyway ......

I really can't see this going ahead. Who is gonna take responsibility for punters and (more importantly) staff getting infected? 750 people getting pissed in Electric Ballroom having a knees up Bavarian style in the middle of a highly infectious pandemic? ffs

Electric Ballroom says it has 1,500 capacity, so 50% of that would be 750 punters,
thinking about it - 1500 is probably standing unfurnished capacity. Once the beer tables are in capacity would be reduced by at least 40%.
Would be interesting to know what they actually mean by 50%....

Last edited:
Whitty: "The ONS data suggests we have reached the limits of what we can do in terms of opening things up in society, he says." <<<i think thats baically the end of that...this is as good as it can get, and it can only go backwards from here on in
shit

Whitty: "The ONS data suggests we have reached the limits of what we can do in terms of opening things up in society, he says." <<<i think thats baically the end of that...this is as good as it can get, and it can only go backwards from here on in
shit

Aye. I think if you're employed in any form of performing arts than it might be time to get that CV updated. Grim news.

Back
Top Bottom