Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus: music festivals, big gigs, sports events and big gatherings - going ahead and cancelled

editor

hiraethified
SXSW has already been cancelled as has the Ultra music festival in Miami, and there must be a huge shadow over many of the upcoming UK ones. I suspect that some of the small ones may never come back if they're cancelled this year:

There's an interesting piece in the Guardian:

'It's a case of holding your nerve': festivals face coronavirus insurance disaster
Many UK music festivals are not insured for communicable diseases, and are nervously waiting to see how far coronavirus spreads

The postponement of Ultra music festival in Miami and the cancellation of SXSW in Austin came in swift succession last week – the first two major music event casualties of a growing panic over the spread of the coronavirus.

Austin mayor Steve Adler pulled the plug on the latter a week before it was due to start, declaring a “local disaster in the city”: SXSW generated $356m (£271m) for the Austin economy last year. California’s Coachella festival, due to begin 10 April, is the most high-profile music event in the US, and if it gets pulled estimates say it could leave a $1bn hole.

The aphorism is that if America sneezes, the rest of the world catches a cold; if Ultra and SXSW cause a domino effect, and music festivals in the UK and Europe are shut down, the economic impact could be enormous. Worse still, most festivals will not have the correct insurance to cover their expenditure and projected losses if the government or local councils order them to cancel.

Festivals in the UK tend to insure themselves to the hilt against bad weather and have had, in the wake of the attacks on the Bataclan in Paris in 2015 and Manchester Arena in 2017, to add acts of terrorism to their policies. Coronavirus falls under what insurance companies term “communicable disease cover”, but almost no festival will have it.

“It is very rare,” says Steven Howell of Music Insurance Brokers. “The only people who tend to buy it are the ones that are concerned about things like foot and mouth or swine flu. I have some clients who buy it every year, but the majority don’t.”

Michael Rawlings, underwriting manager at Event Insurance Services, agrees, saying that outside of animal-based events, “very few people would have had the foresight to have insurance against communicable disease”.

And you will know us by the trail of dead are still on tour - playing in Tufnell Park tonight and St Albans tomorrow

A load of HP conferences and meetings have been canned. Their big annual conference in Croatia has been cancelled but that isn't until July. I think that's daft personally but I've convinced myself that this will all be over by the end of March.

I don't think any of the summer festivals are likely to cancel until they're told to tbh. They're pretty much all totally fucked if they don't go ahead, and until the shape of the next few months is a bit clearer, no-one going to voluntarily go bankrupt.
I fear that some will be be fucked anyway, with people reluctant to buy tickets in advance, leaving small festivals with seriously wobbly bank balances.

I fear that some will be be fucked anyway, with people reluctant to buy tickets in advance, leaving small festivals with seriously wobbly bank balances.
oh yeah, totally - there's an air of desperation to the sudden flurry of facebook adverts for summer festivals that's currently filling my fb timeline.

Yup fair few people I know are going to Bangface as a gang. A few have dropped out, but most still going. At the moment anyway, it feels like a lot could change by the weekend though...

I had a chat with my friend who's very high up in the planning of Glastonbury about a month ago and she said that they'd already approached PHE then. She seemed more concerned with supplies coming out of China than cancellation ... A lot has clearly happened in the month since and will happen again in the next month ... I'm increasingly doubtful the early summer festivals will go ahead.

I was planning on going to this festival in the lakes at the end of the month - it's not really like a typical festival, just a few concerts over a few small venues really... still probably going to be cancelled though I guess.

if the summer festivals do all get canned i can see a big rise in free parties popping up, especially if its another hot summer, people will be really bored of the virus by then and wanting a party, the police will be overstretched and probably not as keen as usual to charge into a big gathering of dribbling ravers just for the sake of it... should be fun.

Most of the talk so far with sports like football have been about having matches behind closed doors.

I dont know how long such a period would even manage to last though, because I can imagine leagues grinding to a complete halt very quickly after any first team players or staff test positive.

Most of the talk so far with sports like football have been about having matches behind closed doors.

I dont know how long such a period would even manage to last though, because I can imagine leagues grinding to a complete halt very quickly after any first team players or staff test positive.

The chairman of Notts Forest has it according to the bbc.

France and Spain have started closed doors from tomorrow.

This won't just hit big gigs either - loads of venues across Europe are either pulling gigs or being forced to, which is going to make tours financially impractical. Expect to see even small venue shows here in the UK cancelled as well.

This won't just hit big gigs either - loads of venues across Europe are either pulling gigs or being forced to, which is going to make tours financially impractical. Expect to see even small venue shows here in the UK cancelled as well.

One of my friends is a promoter. Her cancellation insurance has gone up from £38 to £300 - which is not affordable as she ony puts on small gigs and doesn't make that much

Back
Top Bottom