Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus meme/panic/fear mongering general thread

The lad deserved a round of applause, not a visit from the fucking costume police. It's a strange world we're living in that allowed resources to be wasted on such nonsense.

A teenager, I just want to say if he's due to have history course marks in lieu of exams, I hope that understanding of a currently relevant period of history is recognised and results in a good grade :)

I mean ffs "might frighten children" - so might anyone wearing a costume for any reason, it is then you take the time to explain to kids that "it is just someone in fancy dress". It's not like a 4 year old is likely to know the origins of that particular costume and start worrying about the plague :D

I mean ffs "might frighten children" - so might anyone wearing a costume for any reason, it is then you take the time to explain to kids that "it is just someone in fancy dress". It's not like a 4 year old is likely to know the origins of that particular costume and start worrying about the plague :D
I wonder how may kids will be warned about the possible consequences of their actions on Halloween. Maybe a physical warning, or a little bit of taser action might help.

EXQHxrZXgAAXY-Q

Some of the reactions of locals are daft.

"One person wrote: "Scared the life out of my missus. Terrifying for kids."

Another agreed: "Just casually... strolling around the village in a plague costume? That's just not normal is it, do it indoors it's bloody terrifying for poor little kids."

However, others came to the individual's defence, saying: "I admit he is weird but what harm is he doing... made me giggle."

Another pointed out: "It's not illegal and if he can't wear it now, when could he?"

"Danny Buck, a historian at the University of East Anglia, who spotted the picture, said: "It's quite a smart-looking costume and it's important people realise that in the 17th Century plague doctors were the brave ones who went out to see people with the disease."

People contacting the police over it ? Ridiculous .

People contacting the police over it ? Ridiculous .

I dunno. I find it quite amusing but I can see how it would upset already very anxious people even further. Whilst the original context of the mask was certainly brave people trying to help, the modern connotation is as a symbol of the plague visiting. In that context it's a bit like dressing up as the grim reaper and standing outside a care home.

However, just a kid and no biggie really.

some of my colleagues are working from home, so we're having occasional video chats.

various cats / dogs are making occasional appearances.

one colleague's cat has a tendency to run downstairs and wait by the door if the doorbell rings.

another colleague can play a doorbell sound on his mobile phone

:)

Back
Top Bottom