Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

That is simply not true.

It is true we ordered more doses than we need, like many other countries, because we needed to back several different vaccines, as we didn't know which would work. It was to back rapid development, to speed up trails, to increase production availability, and to allow some companies to start manufacturing even before approval.

If rich countries had not invested on the scale they did, we could still be months away from having any vaccines, or at the very least, there would be a fraction of the number of doses available now compared to what actually is available or coming soon.

And, it's not less for others, any we don't require will be made available to poorer countries, there's no point keeping any we don't need.

Plus the Oxford/AZ vaccine is being provided at cost to the world, at something like £3 a pop, compared to Pfizer at £15, and Moderna at £28.
I've already pointed out to you in the past that the tokenistic offers to developing countrie are woefully inadequate. For example in South Africa there is currently a slow roll out to health workers only. The prediction is that at this rate, the entire population will be vaccinated in 18 years. Excuse that.

We haven't bought more than we need, we've ORDERED more than we need. The majority of that hasn't even been manufactured yet, plus some of our purchases will be distributed to Commonwealth nations.

Oxford-AZ are distributing the vaccine at cost, so they're hardly making a profit before making it more affordable for developing nations.

We are the third largest donator to COVAX, I believe, after the USA and Germany.

The EU has used vaccines as political leverage too. So has the USA. So have China and Russia. Going to have a go at them too, or is it only bad when the UK does it?

Most of the AZ vaccine, which is what I assume you're referring to, isn't even made in the UK anyway, so it has nothing to do with the UK 'not sharing.'

This has nothing whatsoever to do with 'all the inequality that the UK perpetuates,' whatever that is. You just hate the Tories, and that's fine, but just say so. Don't try to preach from some high horse about how terrible the whole country apparently is. You're a fucking idiot if you think the UK is in any way special or different in any of what you just spouted.
What I find most endearing about you is how you defend a race to the bottom. It's ok for the Uk to be shit because others are.

Covax is woefully inadequate, see my other post to the other person defending vaccine inequality.

Last edited:
I've already pointed out to you in the past that the tokenistic offers to developing countrie are woefully inadequate. For example in South Africa there is currently a slow roll out to health workers only. The prediction is that at this rate, the entire population will be vaccinated in 18 years. Excuse that.

I doubt that prediction is right, considering South Africa will be manufacturing the J&J vaccine.

View attachment 259324

Dr Duncan Robertson (@Dr_D_Robertson)

Policy & Strategy Analytics academic at Loughborough University; Fellow, St Catherine's College, Oxford. Focusing on COVID-19 modelling and analysis.

I'd need some help/explanation if I wanted to understand that! :eek:

For instance, there don't seem to be any notes about which of those variants are more serious compared to others .... </ :confused: x 1,000 :oops: >

ETA : Some of that Doctor's tweets are pretty good, but they don't provide much help (for non-scientists anyway!) with understanding the above table! :(

It is a bit scaremongering but it does come with some data from the Robert Koch institute. Doubt (hope) we will see a third wave as bad as January here in the UK but Europe is in a really bad state with more national lock downs kicking in.

The Europe situation is different due to vaccine pace and also the UK variant :( I read earlier we have 8 or 10 (will find the Gov.uk link) and more news about the recent variant being a lot more transmissible via kids.

The vaccination combined with lockdown has got this almost under control. Still think reopening schools was too soon.. My sister is a teacher at one school and she has two girls at two further schools. All three schools have now had news cases and years sent home to quarantine.

Kinda inevitable after they reopened schools. I see the number of cases has levelled out but the number of people in hospital is still on a steep decline. It takes up to 2 weeks for sickness to get so bad you need to go to a&e and we are on day 11. This is the trend we are all awaiting.

I'm assuming the school children aren't going to hospital or even know they are sick.

This is the J and J vaccination, they don't have anything else.

Sure about that?

are you talking about 18 years for the whole of Africa or just South Africa? Because the J&J, its 300 million doses for a population of 60 million.

With the mass lateral flow testing of school kids being included in the figures I'm somewhat surprised the new daily rate numbers have only levelled rather than gone up appreciably.

Same here, at the peak we were testing around 600k a day, they are now reporting around 1.5m tests a day, so with such a massive increase in testing, it's surprising that new cases haven't started going up by a fair bit.

With the mass lateral flow testing of school kids being included in the figures I'm somewhat surprised the new daily rate numbers have only levelled rather than gone up appreciably.

But we probably need two or three more weeks or so (?),to get the full picture for post-schools-opening infection rates??

(Very much questions not statements there, btw -- as I said above, I'm no scientist! :oops: )

Last edited:
Sure about that?

are you talking about 18 years for the whole of Africa or just South Africa? Because the J&J, its 300 million doses for a population of 60 million.

Yes, I'm very sure. This is about things that may happen in the future, not what is happening on the ground now. I am talking about SA only. For whatever reason, the J and J vaccinations are not out and about. While I'm sure that the vaccination program will speed up eventually (they were told they'd receive international vaccines in April, many months after us) this gives you a sense of how little is actually available right now.

Where does the "3rd wave imminent" come from?
This was made clear in the Warwick modelling preprint back in January (DOI: 10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896), which formed the basis of the paper published yesterday.

Additionally, as alluded to a couple of weeks ago...

Last edited:
But we probably need two or three more weeks or so (?),to get the full picture for post-schools-opening infection rates??

(Very much questions not statements there, btw -- as I said above, I'm no scientist! :oops: )

Yes I think I was commenting more on getting a truer picture rather than the impact of schools being back. Its the whole more you test the more you find and I had assumed that mass testing of kids would have unearthed quite a few asymptomatic cases.

Of course that may have happened and been offset against the fall in the general populace but that doesn't appear to have been the case.

This was made clear in the Warwick modelling preprint back in January (DOI: 10.1101/2020.12.27.20248896), which formed the basis of the paper published yesterday.

Additionally, as alluded to a couple of weeks ago...

Hasn't Israel reported something like 97% reduction in symptomatic cases? Citing Israel data, Pfizer says vaccine 97% effective against symptomatic COVID

Appreciate that doesn't really affect variants.

Hasn't Israel reported something like 97% reduction in symptomatic cases? Citing Israel data, Pfizer says vaccine 97% effective against symptomatic COVID
Pfizer claims that for vaccinees (at 2 weeks after second dose) which isn't the same as saying "97% reduction in symptomatic cases". That's also in the presence of degrees of on-going NPIs and predominately one variant that the vaccines available there are pretty effective against (in respect of efficacy to [a]symptomatic infection). Interesting to note that for the most recent sequencing data (sadly lags the most industrious sequencers a couple of weeks for some reason), after B.1.1.7, B.1.351 is the next fastest growing variant there...

e2a: There is likely also an association effect at work too skewing that particular metric - most vaccinated, particularly in older cohorts, predominately associate with other vaccinated (their partners, carers).

Last edited:
Same here, at the peak we were testing around 600k a day, they are now reporting around 1.5m tests a day, so with such a massive increase in testing, it's surprising that new cases haven't started going up by a fair bit.

Well I guess it takes time for viral momentum to build. And the first thing to expect is not a big rise in cases, its an end to the decline in cases.

Very similar expected dynamics are a big part of why I was advising people last June not to spend that side of summer waiting for the next wave to show itself imminently. It took quite some time for the virus to build momentum then, and then further time for modest increases to more obviously resemble explosive increases.

If we take what happened with University students, infection rates in some of those settings exploded so quickly that I think we were looking at a scenario where the virus had already gained much momentum in that age group before they went back. And start of term social events and shared accommodation etc gave the virus the opportunity to multiply from that base that had already been built over time.

Likewise although there had been problems at schools for some time last autumn, it still took quite a long time, including November national measures that left schools open, before some cruel explosive tipping point having been reached became really obvious to people.

I'm not complacent about the current situation though, and if I take the following sort of graph from the weekly surveillance report, we can see pretty clearly what stage we reached recently. Various factors should be different to last time we we are that stage. There are a whole bunch of reasons why the virus might struggle to regain momentum quickly, and a few ways it might manage to.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 13.51.16.png
From https://assets.publishing.service.g...212/Weekly_Flu_and_COVID-19_report_w11_v2.pdf

That graph appears to show the 10-19 age group rising again already.

One difficulty I have when presenting such graphs is that there are many more in the document, and I cannot begin to cover them all.

For example there are a large number of graphs in the supplimentary document which cover age groups in schools etc from a variety of angles. Here is just one. Further demonstrates that in terms of this weekly format of data, its still a bit early to be judging much.

Screenshot 2021-03-19 at 15.23.16.png

Take that Slovenia. We weren't the shittest because it was a race to the end of the year, nuh. I always feel good when I know we aren't as crap as Bulgaria.

I think this was earlier presented with a different headline, before they decided to spin a positive aspect.

Many of the details are grim regardless of headline:

• The UK had among the highest excess mortality rates for people aged under 65 years; by 18 December it had the second highest cumulative excess mortality rate for this age group, behind Bulgaria.
  • For those aged under 65 years, the UK had the second highest peak in weekly excess mortality rates across the year, at 62.7% above the five-year average during week ending 24 April, second to Bulgaria at 108.5% during week ending 27 November.

The highest peak in weekly excess mortality (relative age-standardised mortality rates (rASMRs)) in the autumn was in Bulgaria, at 112.3% (week ending 27 November), but this was the second-highest peak in the year overall, behind Spain at 142.9% in week ending 3 April; the UK's highest peak was 101.5% (week ending 17 April)

"While the UK may no longer have one of the highest levels of cumulative excess mortality in Europe, it does persist to have some of the highest cumulative excess mortality rates for those aged under 65 years. Only Bulgaria had a higher cumulative excess mortality rate for this age group by the end of 2020, with the UK and its constituent countries having excess mortality levels well above most other European countries.

This has been a pattern observed throughout 2020 since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March showing that the impact of the pandemic in the UK has not exclusively affected those at the oldest ages. We are working to better understand the reasons behind this trend."

Dr Annie Campbell, Health Analysis and Life Events, Office for National Statistics

In regards to the "the UK's highest peak was 101.5%" bit, this is consistent with my comments earlier in the pandemic that at the peak of our first wave, twice as many people as normal were dying.

I think this was earlier presented with a different headline, before they decided to spin a positive aspect.

Many of the details are grim regardless of headline:

""""

In regards to the "the UK's highest peak was 101.5%" bit, this is consistent with my comments earlier in the pandemic that at the peak of our first wave, twice as many people as normal were dying.

I put it here because I'd just heard it presented on the radio news as a very positive thing and got a bit irate at the reporting.

I think the article I've picked from the website is actually more damning than the report I heard, which was sickeningly "we're not so bad after all eh, eh, eh"

Yes, I'm very sure. This is about things that may happen in the future, not what is happening on the ground now. I am talking about SA only. For whatever reason, the J and J vaccinations are not out and about. While I'm sure that the vaccination program will speed up eventually (they were told they'd receive international vaccines in April, many months after us) this gives you a sense of how little is actually available right now.

We are far in advance of the curve because the AZ vaccine was developed and tested in the UK. To test a vaccine at an even modest scale, you need to make it 1st. So we already had the manufacturing set up and ready to go. I seem to remember they were having some manufacturing issues in early November, long before it was approved. Clearly, this came with a large financial risk because it's all wasted if it didn't work. A risk times all the manufacturing plants across the world if they had got in early, sensibly they waited for the data to show it was working.

Now it works, manufacturing is being set up all over but it takes quite a while to make even once they start, it's not an instant process. This is why I was saying all the bluster about vaccines and vaccine nationalism will go away when all these plants come on stream in their respective locations.

Nothing is instant, however much we want and need it to be. Look at the PPE and stuff that was really needed and how everyone was talking about it at the beginning of the pandemic. Those dumb homemade ventilators! :facepalm: Ventilators were expensive for a reason.

All forgotten a year later as manufacturing has stepped in and made lots more. Good quality masks hanging off Tescos shelves 3 for a fiver. This will be true of vaccinations, just not in Tescos.

Last edited:
We are far in advance of the curve because the AZ vaccine was developed and tested in the UK. To test a vaccine at an even modest scale, you need to make it 1st. So we already had the manufacturing set up and ready to go. I seem to remember they were having some manufacturing issues in early November, long before it was approved. Clearly, this came with a large financial risk because it's all wasted if it didn't work. A risk times all the manufacturing plants across the world if they had got in early, sensibly they waited for the data to show it was working.

Now it works, manufacturing is being set up all over but it takes quite a while to make even once they start, it's not an instant process. This is why I was saying all the bluster about vaccines and vaccine nationalism will go away when all these plants come on stream in their respective locations.

Nothing is instant, however much we want and need it to be. Look at the PPE and stuff that was really needed and how everyone was talking about it at the beginning of the pandemic. Those dumb homemade ventilators! :facepalm: Ventilators were £100k for a reason.

All forgotten a year later as manufacturing has stepped in and made lots more. Good quality masks hanging off Tescos shelves 3 for a fiver. This will be true of vaccinations, just not in Tescos.
ventilators up to £25k apparently

think the vaccination is more than a fiver a pop tho

Back
Top Bottom