Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Drosten seems to think it might not be so bad though?
This also from this morning's R4 Today programme virologist Wendy Barclay and epidemiologist Neil Ferguson (listen from 1h35m23s-1h45m50s in):
Explains the analysis connecting the genetic data to the epidemiology and geographical presentation. "There is a very strong correlation between the areas showing fastest growth in cases and this new variant [...] high resolution PCR confirms this."

Also, underlines the timeline involved: that it was brought to the attention of NERVTAG by PHE around 10 Dec when there was sufficient evidence to be assured that we should be concerned about this.

Furthermore that there is a "hint" in the data that this variant may infect schoolchildren slightly more effectively than the previous dominant variant (one shouldn't be entirely surprised about this: consider what routes of transmission have been narrowed down for the virus, then think selection effect, cf SA 501.V2). Highlights that we are running out of mitigations in the 'R budget' and additional new steps may have to be considered over the coming weeks.

Last edited:
This also from this morning's R4 Today programme virologist Wendy Barclay and epidemiologist Neil Ferguson (listen from 1h35m23s-1h45m50s in):
Explains the analysis connecting the genetic data to the epidemiology and geographical presentation. "There is a very strong correlation between the areas showing fastest growth in cases and this new variant [...] high resolution PCR confirms this."

Also, underlines the timeline involved: that it was brought to the attention of NERVTAG by PHE around 10 Dec when there was sufficient evidence to be assured that we should be concerned about this.

Furthermore that there is a "hint" in the data that this variant may infect schoolchildren slightly more effectively than the previous dominant variant (one shouldn't be entirely surprised about this: consider what routes of transmission have been narrowed down for the virus, then think selection effect, cf SA 501.V2). Highlights that we are running out of mitigations in the 'R budget' and additional new steps may have to be considered over the coming weeks.

There isn't anywhere left to go but UK wide lockdown. Which is what we should have continued doing anyway,

OMG Matt Hancock should be in prison not Health Secretary.

Good commentry on one of the worst interviews I've watched, he's trying to defend the indefensible and comes across as dumb as fuck.

All of these problems lie fully at the feet of the Government, they should step aside to let someone who's got balls, knows how to lead and be decisive take over.
If they had pursued a zero COVID strategy at the start, we wouldn't be in this mess.
Total disaster.

At this rate they should call the new variant the u-strain. As in 'u-strain if you want to, the Johnsons up for turning'.

Read the pre-print soon, tory priority induced selection pressures led to a set of mutations that target areas of weak policy.

On a related note, I see that the NERVTAG minutes mention that they are checking to see if the new strain has an impact on the ability of lateral flow tests to detect the virus. If it makes those tests even less reliable than they already are then I'd say this strain has effectively demolished the Johnson approach.

BBC News just announced that Johnson is holding another press conference this afternoon, no time given.

I just heard that on the news and my heart sank. What more shite can he dole out today, I wonder.

extending the transition period because of this shit show

could be fun :D

postive note for people not to see each other at christmas

to avoid the rows

Back
Top Bottom