Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Wouldn't surprise me, the estimated timescale for vaccination is like September for most people. But there's lots to do in Paris without spending any money, the parks and so on, provided they're not all closed off too.

Possibly a bit touristy but I spent a lovely couple of afternoons just wandering round Monmartre - was when cafes were open and people sitting out painting portraits of other people, mind.

Is the UK totally reliant for fresh food on the Dover-Calais crossing?

Its been worrying but as an island its OK, until a pandemic and brexit at the same time.

Dominic Raab is a brexiteer

Google and you will see its crazy.

I suspect that "new variant" of the 'rona is a lot more widespread than has been detected at the present time.

Will be interesting to see if it is already in Europe or elsewhere.

Current problem will be "panic buying" - delivery / 'click n collect' slots were unavailable last night in several hours of trying to find one. Especially as only a few actually deliver here (Iceland does not, for example, although Morrisons does).

But dear god, I am so angry again this morning. Apart from the few dickheads having parties, sooooo many people have reduced their contacts above and beyond for such a long time. I am not in a particularly at risk group, and other than my boyfriend, I have only met a couple of friends outside on four occasions in all these months, I didn't start in person therapy appointments again when it was offered, because I didn't think it was safe, all in the hope that I could a) avoid catching the virus and b)contribute to improving the wider picture. (Somewhat selfishly, admittedly, because I always wanted it to get to the point where I could easily see and stay with my non-cohabiting partner again, which was only officially allowed for like three weeks, which is a complete scandal in itself imo).

And all that, and all the similar and more deprivations people have gone through, only to be utterly undermined by this shitting government by letting it spread rampantly through unis and schools, forbidding schools from implementing decent safety concepts (e.g two weeks on/two weeks off), fucking up the tiering and hospitality thing - of course some people are going to meet in groups that are not just their household for indoor dining in December - what the fuck do you expect, you can't expect everyone to be a complete rule-stickler like myself - not getting better face covering compliance in shops and on public transport, be it through education or fines. Can you tell I am fuming....

Its been worrying but as an island its OK, until a pandemic and brexit at the same time.

Dominic Raab is a brexiteer

Google and you will see its crazy.
I understand completely about the importance of the Dover route in a UK food economy built on the dominance of supermarkets and last minute supply, the disincentives of the EU for home-grown farmers/ fruit producers etc but don't understand why you claim we are totally reliant on it . Significantly yes but not totally.

Whats really frustrating is we can't go and mass protest at the Gov handling of the pandemic.
I want to get a massive banner with RESIGN on it and unfurl it outside No 10.
I understand completely about the importance of the Dover route in a UK food economy built on the dominance of supermarkets and last minute supply, the disincentives of the EU for home-grown farmers/ fruit producers etc but don't understand why you claim we are totally reliant on it . Significantly yes but not totally.

You are correct, not totally reliant but heavily reliant. We make about 60% of what we eat so we do have food.

But Its fresh food we are reliant upon in the winter. But what will happen if supermarkets start to run out of fresh food, people will panic and strip the shelves bare like last time. This took weeks to recover from. I see it happening again. Human nature to worry about not eating.

I don't know, I've read different things from different scientists I respect, there doesn't seems to be a consensus at the moment. I'm listening to the twiv episode now (which was recorded on 18th December so might be out of date currently). However they haven't got onto that part of it yet.
Out of date. They were questioning the degree of transmission whilst at the same time, unbeknownst to them, NERVTAG were meeting and confirming aspects of this (technically, the growth, so fair to question, to a degree).

Whats really frustrating is we can't go and mass protest at the Gov handling of the pandemic.

You are correct, not totally reliant but heavily reliant. We make about 60% of what we eat so we do have food.

But Its fresh food we are reliant upon in the winter. But what will happen if supermarkets start to run out of fresh food, people will panic and strip the shelves bare like last time. This took weeks to recover from. I see it happening again. Human nature to worry about not eating.

When you say its fresh food we are reliant upon in the winter and the shelves will be stripped what food are you thinking of, fruit and veg?

you'd need someone else to help in with a massive banner but as long as you're socially distancing you should be fine - after all protest isn't banned

When you say its fresh food we are reliant upon in the winter and the shelves will be stripped what food are you thinking of, fruit and veg?
Yes, a lot of the fresh veg and 89% of all fruit.

I am also assuming France will let freight in again, if they go 'Non' in 48hrs time, its pot noodle time.

Here is a good description of where stuff comes from and what to panic buy

Yes, a lot of the fresh veg and 89% of all fruit. Beef from Ireland supplies about 90% of all beef. Eggs for cake

I am also assuming France will let freight in again, if they go 'Non' in 48hrs time, its pot noodle time.

I wouldn't advise anyone to panic buy tbh especially when there's loads of frozen and tinned food around as back up.

If this strain is more dangerous (which I think we'll know more about in the next 2 weeks) things are going to get very bad very quickly.

New guidance for people in the extremely clinically vulnerable category (shielding) in Tier 4 coming very soon apparently.

Although please not the stock piling thing again... , I think I prefer the Brexit reckon journalism to the jaw numbingly dull and lazy reporting from outside supermarkets, asking Dorris and Dave what they've not been able to buy...

Yes, a lot of the fresh veg and 89% of all fruit.

Jesus Christ. "Advice on what to panic buy".

Turns my stomach. What a time to be alive.

If this strain is more dangerous (which I think we'll know more about in the next 2 weeks) things are going to get very bad very quickly.
It already makes me concerned. I intended to go to a local larger town for my remaining Christmas presents. Last night I decided I didn't relish being among lots of people so I did an Amazon order instead.

Back
Top Bottom