Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

So, am I in a tiny minority then ?

I've been watching the cases / case-rate data etc from the .gov dashboard.
From that I deduced that there was another 'wave' of infections developing.
Therefore, I decided to have my seasonal celebration at home.
In fact, I'm staying put until we've all had our jabs (next year some time).

Nothing that's been said in the briefings has changed my mind - if anything, it has made me more determined to stay hunkered down.
A decision reinforced by the spike in local cases / case-rates.
Sounds very sensible to me. I also decided that I wasn't going anywhere based on what I've seen of the stats.

Nothing that's been said in the briefings has changed my mind - if anything, it has made me more determined to stay hunkered down.
I think most of us are doing this tbf. I'm just not into hating on people who've chosen not to do, because yesterday they could.

I'm with you. I've cancelled my (very careful) plans and am now going to be spending Christmas on my own. Things are out of control locally so apart from getting some Christmas food supplies, the only thing I'll be doing is solo walks.

After nine months of isolation, I'm not looking forward to this much. But, it is what it is so 🤷‍♀️.

No. I dont think so.

Still fucked if I know what to do, tbh.

Live alone, have been isolating since Tuesday, parents live on the other side of Tier 4 London. In theory, for me nothing much has changed since before the tier bump, so I don't know if I'd be needlessly causing sadness for everyone involved by not going.

But... people shouldn't be travelling, and even though I can do it in a bubble, should I?

Gah; hate, hate, hate :mad:

I think most of us are doing this tbf. I'm just not into hating on people who've chosen not to do, because yesterday they could.
I get why people may decide not to follow the rules and I don't hate them but tbh they do piss me off. None of this is fun, none of us is happy but we just need to get on with it or things are going to get even worse/last for even longer.

Aside from a brief weekend away in September we've gone nowhere much since this started and hadn't planned to for Christmas at all. Our lives are basically in this small flat right now, she's going to work, I was going to the studio once a week, that was it unless we had specific shopping needs.

I haven't seen family in 12 months, she saw a friend a couple of weekends ago but they just sat in a park a bit chilly. Everything else is online.

That's the model we're sticking to until vaccine is sorted and it's depressing but it's what needs doing. I should probably cut the studio out but it's literally my only escape and keeping me aware the world exists.

Haven't been out of London since this shitshow started, and I can count the times I've been out of SE London on two fingers.

I usually go up north about three times a year to see my sister & family, best mate & other mates up there, & often my brother. I did get a bit sad when my sis & I were WhatsApping yesterday and she said she's really missed my visits, but we're in regular contact so it's not that bad.

I posted above about deciding not to go out until I have to, but appreciate I'm lucky in that we have a garden and don't have a pressing need to go out.

So now we have very mixed messages about this variant. One extra scary to persuade us to cancel everything because our disgraced PM wants to save face, one more measured message with ifs and maybes and potentiallys that might not be enough to make people stay home even though they really should regardless of the new variant or what this ruthlessly incompetent government said 2 weeks ago.

Also one that's given our European neighbours excellent political cover to call no deal Brexit now and have it not be their fault. Which largely it isn't, but the way they're rushing to be seen to cut the UK off whilst our Government promises to hold another meeting about things shows once again what an utter fustercluck our Government is.

I know. We were looking for them on tv. But yesterday he's got pics of him and his boy outside Villa Park.

"Finally back at the home of football. UTV!".

His boy doesn't even like football ffs. Baroness Joe is a nurse and has pretty much gone potty over it, especially as the boys year had to isolate for two weeks and the mum (who's a teaching assistant there) decided that the best way to isolate for two weeks was to take her dog out to shit on our front lawn for two weeks on the way to Pound land and Greggs....

They probably wanted a trip up to Villa Park tbh and not the actual game at West Brom. As long as they kept to the Covid guidelines then why not.

As for the dog poo I dunno, I'm lost on that one. Close the borders maybe :D

And passing the virus on hopefully? They're not 'random' though. Some of them might not make sense to you, or you may not like them, there's inevitable complexities and contradictions in some areas, and they're balanced with things some people think are priorities that you might think aren't, but they not random and shit.

This kind of stuff is really wearing me down on here tbh.

Yup. I think what's striking is not that no-one trusts the government, but that people mistrust it in a way that favours themselves. We know that this has been catastrophically mismanaged. Anyone can look at the statistics and see the repeated failures. But I have met very few people who say 'I don't trust the government, I'll err on the side of caution, read up a bit'. It is usually 'I don't trust the government, I'm just going to carry on'. It's kind of totally understandable, and I've done it myself. But it will kill people.

So an update if anyone is interested. After many wasted hours at the airport and conflicting updates, my ex failed to get her flight and the plight of its passengers was featured in an Italian newspaper (Google translated below):

Coronavirus variant, the protest of 200 Alitalia passengers left on the ground in London: 'Abandoned without information and assistance'

From London-Heathrow airport there were also calls to the Farnesina, the Embassy and the Consulate in London but nothing to do. "The line was blocked", say two passengers. Who complain: "No refreshments, no one thought of accommodation. And to think that we had also spent a lot of money to make the swab as requested by Alitalia". Meanwhile, there is no notice on the company's website

“We have been abandoned by Alitalia and our government. We are here without a hotel to sleep in, without assistance. We haven't had any information in hours. Help us ”. The appeal comes from London Heathrow Airport . It is 11 pm when Antonello Sussarellu and Chiara Botti answer the phone. They should have already arrived in Italy but after the stop to the flights in and out of the United Kingdom due to the discovery of the " English variant " of the Sars Cov 2 discovered in the capital, they were stuck without knowing what will happen to their return to Italy .

In the same condition as Chiara and Antonello there are over 200 passengers who had to board the flights departing from London at 16.55 for Milan and at 18.50 for Fiumicino. People who all swab before setting foot at the airport. “I arrived in London on Saturday - explains Sussarellu - and today I should have returned home to Sardinia. At 3 pm Alitalia cancelled all departing flights leaving us in trouble. No one from the company showed up to tell us what was going to happen to us. We have been waiting for hours to understand our destiny but nothing ”. Sussarellu now does not know what to do: "Fortunately I met Chiara who kindly hosts me tonight at her home. Tomorrow, if they don't let me come back, a friend will welcome me but they had to at least provide us with a hotel restaurant. Instead nothing. Now how long will we have to stay here? ”.

From London-Heathrow airport there were also calls to the Farnesina, the Embassy and the Consulate in London but nothing to do. "We too - tell Chiara and Antonello - we tried to call the Embassy but the line was blocked".

Yeah that's really bad and there'll be hundreds if not thousands of others in similar situations with other cancelled flights. We'll hear more after EU emergency meeting today but I'd expect repatriation of EU citizens stuck in the UK will be an item on the agenda, albeit not top priority. Italy were OK with repatriating citizens stuck abroad in the first lockdown (but nowhere near as good as germany) - I imagine there will be a few special repatriation flights in the coming days but long long lines to try and get on them. And you better actually be a citizen to have any chance! Long term residents of EU countries who do not hold citizenship will be at the back of the queue if they are allowed at all

Seriously the fucking comedy that I should listen to what Matt Fucking Hancock says.

Nobody is saying listen to Hancock. Listen to SAGE, Independent SAGE, read the minutes of NERVTAG, listen to scientists, epidemiologists, NHS leaders, etc. etc.

Sounds very sensible to me. I also decided that I wasn't going anywhere based on what I've seen of the stats.

And you're saying you only follow the 'random' rules in order to not get arrested, which is clearly dramatic and untrue bollocks.

Assuming you think you're special and everyone else should follow the rules though, rather than just make all their own individual choices based on avoiding being arrested?

Shapps seems to have forgotten that the UK Govt made a great propaganda splash of showing us the (unmarked) Lorries arriving at Folkestone with the first delivery of the Pfizer vaccine.

1608539889195.png

They better have got their ducks in a row to ensure that those getting jab1 also get jab 2.

Port of Dover is closed, cars get to the roundabout at the entrance to be met with a wall of hi-viz people waving them back around, lots of French cars with nowhere to go :(

Back
Top Bottom