Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

From earlier :
William of Walworth said:
However, and despite all the above, I really do agree (genuinely) with this (ultra) cautious approach from the Welsh Government ... I just hope the amount of business-support cash they're promising will be enough to stop a depressing number of pubs closing altogether ...... :confused:

William of W, IMO calling the Welsh Gov's guidance ultra cautious just shows how little people are willing to accept personal responsibility (I call it guidance as it is barely and loosely enforced instead relying on people's sense of responsibility and consideration for others which as we all know is in short supply)
Bolded bit : was that aimed at me personally, or more just at my post generally? :confused:

My personal responsibility about avoiding pubs mainly consists of having a Dry December :D, but obviously that's coincidence of timing, and the Welsh Government are making it even easier to stay dry :cool:.
But even if I was drinking, I definitely would not moan about staying at home.

I think it's possible to think that yes, the Welsh Government's measures are being very cautious -- and the 'correctly so' argument is fair -- while also being very concerned for the (financial) fate of the trade -- I have a fair few friends in it.
I would also agree though that packed pre-Xmas pubs in Wales would be a nightmare for Covid risk if allowed to operate as the notorious Wine Street here in Swansea does in normal years :eek:.
I also suspect that controlling distancing in pubs, and enforcing table-service only rules would be an utter nightmare for bar staff at this time of year in particular :(

Last edited:
I think it's possible to think that yes, the Welsh Government's measures are being very cautious -- and the 'correctly so' argument is fair -- while also being very concerned for the (financial) fate of the trade -- I have a fair few friends in it.

There are very few measures taken by government in this pandemic that I would describe as very cautious. I'd be much more likely to describe measures as the bare minimum.

Wales oversold how much would be achieved with a short firebreak. I dont think the data supported a full relaxation once the firebreak ended. And so much like Northern Ireland, backtracking and new measures were therefore required. But there was a stupid gap between end of previous measures and the new ones, because of silly things said by administrations that ended up backing themselves into a political corner.

If it's anything like Twitter it'll be the Gov banging on about how brexit allowed it to happen so quickly :facepalm:

Hancocks parade got rained on:

But June Raine, chief executive of the MHRA, said the approval was made using provisions under European law, which still binds the UK until the end of the Brexit transition period on 1 January.

She told a media briefing about the vaccine: “We have been able to authorise the supply of this vaccine using provisions under European law, which exist until 1 January. Our speed or our progress has been totally dependent on the availability of data in our rolling review and the independent advice we have received.”

I saw Nadine Dorries, I think, banging on about how Brexit made this possible and my brain's 'BULLSHIT' klaxon was immediately activated.

So I guess if they really do get it out to the top vulnerability list that fast then we could start seeing an impact on hospital admissions in January? Although it'd be even better if millions of people weren't going to be in and out of each other's houses at the end of this month. :facepalm:

I wouldn't get carried away with quite how fast they will deliver to groups on a very large scale, so I would currently expect January hospital admissions to be mostly affected by the other usual stuff such as what restrictions are in place and which direction the epidemic wave is going more broadly.

So I guess if they really do get it out to the top vulnerability list that fast then we could start seeing an impact on hospital admissions in January? Although it'd be even better if millions of people weren't going to be in and out of each other's houses at the end of this month. :facepalm:

January to see any difference seems optimistic to me and as you say Christmas is going to have an impact for sure.

It'll be all about how the UK government will make our vaccination programme world beating. Or jolly world beating.

Uh oh. If its going to be "world beating" that'll mean managing to vaccinate only 3 people by April and in each case they've been injected with Anthrax by mistake.

I think the most significant influence over January's hospital admissions will be the amount of household mixing (and alcohol consumption) during crimble and new year.

I shall not be doing anything outside my existing household. No visits, no parties. Very limited do at the workshop.

I'm saving any celebrations until after the vast majority of UK vaccinations are done and herd immunity has been achieved. And even then, I'm going to be significantly more careful ...

I think the most significant influence over January's hospital admissions will be the amount of household mixing (and alcohol consumption) during crimble and new year.

I shall not be doing anything outside my existing household. No visits, no parties. Very limited do at the workshop.

I'm saving any celebrations until after the vast majority of UK vaccinations are done and herd immunity has been achieved. And even then, I'm going to be significantly more careful ...
See you in about 2025 then.

(ETA. sorry, that probably sounds like a dig at you. it's not intended that way at all, just a complete lack of confidence that anything approaching herd immunity through vaccination will he achieved any time soon)

See you in about 2025 then.

(ETA. sorry, that probably sounds like a dig at you. it's not intended that way at all, just a complete lack of confidence that anything approaching herd immunity through vaccination will he achieved any time soon)

I don't even think herd immunity via vaccination is on the main agenda. Reducing hospitalisations and deaths to a level that the system can take in its stride is more like the aim.

Seen two pubs open in London (tier 2) neither serving food - neither do food

That's not a good start, bit brazen as well. Out of 20 odd pubs in walking distance of my home only a couple don't offer food.

I've just been for my daily walk around the area and a few pubs are open, most are still closed. One had quite a few people sat outside under heaters and they all had menus at the table but not food except one pudding being served. It seems you can just pop by order a drink and the menu. Decide you don't want to eat, finish your drink and move on to the next place. Rinse and repeat.

A rule that encourages pub crawling, tidy.

Same for the 3 closest to me, 1 of them is packed too, it’s a very small pub but has about 20+ people in it.

Fucks sake. I was expecting places to play fast and loose with the 'substantial meal' rubbish but not ignore all the rules. Honestly if it was me I'd be reporting them because its flagrant.

Places like that fuck it for everyone in every regard.

The Spoons I'm in is far more equipped to deal with things than the Tesco I was just in. It's completely and utterly unfair on the hospitality industry. Yes, they're serving pints without food in some cases (although I think everyone bought a meal with the first one) but everyone is social distancing and put masks on when they go to the bogs. How is that worse than standing in a queue in a supermarket with coughing people buying xmas decorations?

The Spoons I'm in is far more equipped to deal with things than the Tesco I was just in. It's completely and utterly unfair on the hospitality industry. Yes, they're serving pints without food in some cases (although I think everyone bought a meal with the first one) but everyone is social distancing and put masks on when they go to the bogs. How is that worse than standing in a queue in a supermarket with coughing people buying xmas decorations?

To be honest I don't think there is any point going down this road. I'm not happy with many aspects of government policy in this area but the science is pretty unequivocal on the impact of bars and hospitality on the virus and its been seen in many countries. No one would be in Tesco or any other supermarket if they had the choice but we need to eat.

If you can't understand the difference, I honestly feel sorry for you.

The pubs around me have spent shitloads on perspex screens etc in line with govt demands. And then been sold up the river. It's insane. They'll be going to the wall - the pub is the epicentre of this country and they've been totally fucked over.

Back
Top Bottom