Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I had to go into the branch to get a new business card printed. 2 have disappeared and I can't pay for stuff so essential enough. Spitalfields, Brick Lane and Bishopsgate were dead quiet. Luckily I can walk there and back so exercise and no spreading/being spread on.

Bottom picture is Spitalfields at lunch hour, it's usually mobbed.

IMG_3569.JPGIMG_5560.JPG

They really wanted to get to the 27th, but events are overtaking them. Which is frightening.
Our village school just emailed parents to say they are closing tomorrow, and now the kids have heard the other local secondary is closing tomorrow as well. Everything is slowly grinding to a halt.

I don't know why they don't just ask all parents who don't work in NHS (or other crucial roles) to keep their kids off school; NHS workers' kids could go in, and be looked after by a reduced number of staff (which is inevitable as more get I'll or self-isolate). Seems like the least bad option.

Sir Patrick Vallance says a death rate of one fatality for every 1,000 cases was a "reasonable ballpark" figure, based on scientific modelling.

I don't know why they don't just ask all parents who don't work in NHS (or other crucial roles) to keep their kids off school; NHS workers' kids could go in, and be looked after by a reduced number of staff (which is inevitable as more get I'll or self-isolate). Seems like the least bad option.

Indeed, though you'd probably find schools would be contacted by outraged people asking why little Brexitia is at home rather than being educated like the children of the deep state are.

They really wanted to get to the 27th, but events are overtaking them. Which is frightening.

I think they're about to start crumbling and some will close as early as Thursday from what I'm hearing...others plan on partial closures, which sounds like a plan but I fear will not work.

Local high schools in Worcestershire are partially closing - year 7 first, then as staff shortages get worse it's year 8, then 9 etc..

Our junior school seems to think that they'll be running on empty by Wednesday of next week - the big decision then is whether to maintain a skeleton child care service for essential workers, probably by picking one site per area, and putting all available staff there.

Local high schools in Worcestershire are partially closing - year 7 first, then as staff shortages get worse it's year 8, then 9 etc..

Our junior school seems to think that they'll be running on empty by Wednesday of next week - the big decision then is whether to maintain a skeleton child care service for essential workers, probably by picking one site per area, and putting all available staff there.

It seems that round here they'll keep Year 7 going longer on the basis that the older kids can be "home alone".

I mean you could wait until so many teachers and pupils are self-isolating that the schools just can't run any more, or you could start doing a managed shutdown before that which would be a bit more planned and easier to deal with. The latter sounds like a better idea to me, seeing as how it has the same result but fewer infected people, but the former seems to be basic policy for literally every part of society now.

The City of London is already locking itself down without Boris telling them. Im no fan of the City and it means Im losing work but a lot of big City firms are leaving. They are thinking ahead. Acting responsibly for those who work there. I assume they are still being paid. These are people in high paid jobs who could do some work at home. Even if it means less work for a while.

I went to a City legal firm today to pick up a package. They are packing up all the computers and files to send out to peoples homes to work from home.

The only person there was the office manager.We had a nice chat and she gave me some antispectic wipes. Which in London are golddust.

As I said her and me are probably pretty safe from the virus in the City as hardly anyone in City compared to normal. She said the tube/ train was lot less people than normal.

The City was empty. Looking up at the big glass windowed offices and no one there.

Only postroom staff and security guards.

Looks like security gaurds will be ok job wise.

Looking like I may be in deep shit soon.

But as big business is doing a lock down before being ordered to by government this might help stop virus spreading .

Which may be good for the country as a whole. If not for the low paid who keep London going.

Last edited:
Today's press thing from the gov. War-metaphors all over and very non peacetime feel to it got to say.
Chancellor has said 'i will do whatever it takes' about 7 times so far.

Nothing about rent/bills and not so forthcoming about covering businesses as Poland .

Last edited:
Sir Patrick Vallance says a death rate of one fatality for every 1,000 cases was a "reasonable ballpark" figure, based on scientific modelling.

This is widely reported and I'm sure it's correct if so isn't that a fatality rate more in line with bad flu season then?

Public Health England estimates that on average 17,000 people have died from the flu in England annually between 2014/15 and 2018/19. However, the yearly deaths vary widely¾from a high of 28,330 in 2014/15 to a low of 1,692 in 2018/19. Public Health England does not publish a mortality rate for the flu.

“They are abandoning the basic principles for dealing with an epidemic, which are to test whenever possible, trace contacts and contain. Almost all individual physicians I know feel that what they are doing is wrong.”

Last week, a woman of 79 was admitted to his care for an elective, non-urgent procedure. She was then diagnosed with Covid-19, which, he says, “she almost certainly acquired on our wards”. She was put on a ventilator but died on Monday night.

“I’m sure she will go down as an elderly patient with underlying conditions, but she should have lived to 90,” he said. “Approximately 50 nurses dealt with her and many doctors. None has been tested. All are still at work.”

I believe schools will close a little closer to the existing Easter holiday.

I think you might be right for an official closure but can't see it reaching that far with most schools, due to falling staff numbers, so think many heads will make the individual decision to shut prior to the official closure.

This is widely reported and I'm sure it's correct if so isn't that a fatality rate more in line with bad flu season then?
I think the problem is they don't know how many people have got it. They may even be doing it backwards by going oh, 71 people have died, that must mean 70,000 people must have it

Back
Top Bottom