Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

They’ll be a lot of people detained (without limit) with NO ONE to advocate for them. A lot of people with no family, no community support. There won’t be any IMHAs.

Doubt it - where are they going to put them all? The pressures on MH beds and staff were bad enough when there wasn't a pandemic going around.

Doubt it - where are they going to put them all? The pressures on MH beds and staff were bad enough when there wasn't a pandemic going around.

Those with family/support outside of hospital will be discharged.

so who will that leave in hospital then?

I can help out by writing some scripts for them.

-Ere, Terry, wotchoo doin wiv my wife?
-Fack you Barry, you facking slag.
-Ee's not Barry, ee's Barry's evil twin Gary.

-And you can fack off an' all Sheila. Gawd strike a light.
-Roight that's the last facking straw. Ah'm leaving you and shacking up wiv your bruvver.
-Jellied eels! Getcher jellied eels!

...etc.
You're going to try and introduce some sophiscated repartee and intelligent conversation into the show then.

Have seen a fair few videos on social media of big pubs/bars in UK packed with people out for St Patrick's day :facepalm: absolutely fuck all distancing.

Recommendation to avoid going to pubs did not go down well, Spoon's numbers y'day:

mtBkAau.png

Those with family/support outside of hospital will be discharged.

so who will that leave in hospital then?

Not sure that is the case, at all. The service was already doing that wherever possible because of the pressure on beds, to move those people into social care (again, in many cases) so they can section a load of people who they couldn't do before because they couldn't get two doctors to agree does not make much sense.

Not sure that is the case, at all. The service was already doing that wherever possible because of the pressure on beds, to move those people into social care (again, in many cases) so they can section a load of people who they couldn't do before because they couldn't get two doctors to agree does not make much sense.

You’re going to need to make that legible if you want a response

No, the 1 to 1000 figure is a rule of thumb for estimating how many active cases there are in the growth phase. The number of deaths always lags behind the number of cases in the growth phase, as its the deaths from the number of cases 2-4 weeks ago. It’s not an estimate of fatality rate, which is still probably about 10x larger give or take.

That is a very important point.

I will just throw in that some anecdotal evidence in regards particular cases that have passed away in the UK recently, suggests a shorter time between testing positive and dying in a bunch of these cases. To be expected at this stage I suppose, for various reasons including testing methodology and the age/underlying health conditions of the early cases involved.

My council has closed all public buildings and cancelled all events with the exception of libraries and hubs remain all of which remain open. :mad: @ having to call in sick with anxiety and stress, cos I'm not allowed to call it a sensible rational act to self-isolate when I live with a vulnerable person.

As soon as all cases are detected and isolated, it can be eased off, as is happening in China. Since South Korea never allowed Covid-19 to run outa control, she never went into a panicked lockdown. Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan of course stopped the virus from ever gaining a foothold (as S.K. probably would've if it hadn't been for that godforsaken church).

That the West ever let it get this far is bad enough, but talk of indefinite lockdowns is unreal. We have concrete demonstrations of why they're unnecessary even without a vaccine. If we junk the mathematical models and patiently follow the excellent examples from Asia, we can get it under control and get things running again. The W.H.O. is screaming at us to test, test, test, every suspected case, every contact. We didn't listen early enough, leading to thousands of needless deaths, but we can listen now, and turn things around.

I have to say that despite the Imperial College paper and the resulting u-turn and fallout, some of the government rhetoric remains unchanged. Yes they are now repeatedly talking about ramping up testing capability, but the likes of Johnson and Vallance still keep talking about pushing down the peak of the epidemic, rather than all out suppression.

eg 22m ago 12:40

[/QUOTE]

That the West ever let it get this far is bad enough, but talk of indefinite lockdowns is unreal. We have concrete demonstrations of why they're unnecessary even without a vaccine. If we junk the mathematical models and patiently follow the excellent examples from Asia, we can get it under control and get things running again.
[/QUOTE]

That ship sailed several weeks ago, the lockdowns are coming and are needed.

My council has closed all public buildings and cancelled all events with the exception of libraries and hubs remain all of which remain open. :mad: @ having to call in sick with anxiety and stress, cos I'm not allowed to call it a sensible rational act to self-isolate when I live with a vulnerable person.

Can't you just say you've got a cough?

I do have a very mild cough but they know I've had it ages. And what if I really get it? I'm not going to lie and put myself in a potentially more difficult in the near future

Well you've got the time of is the main thing.

My understanding is that it's ok to self isolate if you've got a cough even if you don't then get it. Which would mean you still have the potential down the line to get it and take more time off..

If you feel unsafe coming in you can throw H&S at them, typically it is the one thing employers actually fear. Are you in a union? They should be able to provide some extra firepower.

EDIT: Different area I know but this the advice UCU is giving members
There is a general legal duty, set out within Section 7 of the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act to 'take reasonable care for the health and safety of himself and of other persons who may be affected by his acts or omissions at work'. If arising from your institution's COVID-19 policy you believe that you or those in your care are in danger, you should raise the issue directly with your immediate line manager and seek their instruction and also immediately contact your local UCU branch. There is a further legal right to leave the workplace, under Section 44 of the 1996 Employment Rights Act, 'in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent and which he could not reasonably have been expected to avert'. However, the legal bar for such action is high and heavily dependent on the particular circumstances; members should therefore seek advice from the union BEFORE they do this.

Have contacted my union but they’re rubbish and haven’t replied yet
OK I'd ask your line manager for a direct written instruction that you must come into work regardless of the fact that you live with someone in a high risk category and believe that coming into work (via public transport?) is putting yours and theirs health and safety at risk. See what they say.

EDIT: Should say Orang Utan that this does not necessarily mean that you won't have to come into work but IME putting a line manager on the spot and making then declare in writing that they request you to undertake something with the H&S risk often puts the shits up them.
One last general point if your line manager ask you to do something you don't want to do rather than saying you won't do it, you are better off telling them you can't do it (for whatever reason).

Last edited:
I have to say that despite the Imperial College paper and the resulting u-turn and fallout, some of the government rhetoric remains unchanged. Yes they are now repeatedly talking about ramping up testing capability, but the likes of Johnson and Vallance still keep talking about pushing down the peak of the epidemic, rather than all out suppression.

eg 22m ago 12:40

I think they are so dogmatically hidebound they are still resisting the reality of what has to be done - exactly the same lockdown that we are seeing pretty much everywhere else. Because if they do this - they will have to provide comprehensive support for everyone in the UK - or deal with a total economic meltdown as the entire service and entertainment industry collapses - followed by millions of people defaulting on their mortgages or getting into rent arrears - local authorities bankrupt because they can't collect business rates - massive banking crash - millions out of work at a strole - public services and NHS collapsing - and so on and so right up to a complete collapse of the economy.
They will have to do all this eventually - but it will be done in a haphazard, badly thought out, rushed manner - exactly what has charchertised their response since the start.
Any previous government would have been contingency planning for exactly this scenario at least 6 weeks ago.
The contrast with past responses to emergencies like AIDS, foot and mouth, 9/11 and similar is stark.
So we get the pubs and cafes staying open but telling people not to go to them. We get no proper testing regime. We get a desperate scramble for ventilators. We get the schools staying open. We get no proper public information campaign. We get easily preventable panic buying. We get stated policy being reversed within days.
The cunts will cause unnecessary deaths of thousands and wreck millions of peoples livelihoods because they are lazy, bigoted chancers who are ideologically opposed to the idea that the fundamental purpose of government is to safeguard the well being of its citizens.

I think they are so dogmatically hidebound they are still resisting the reality of what has to be done - exactly the same lockdown that we are seeing pretty much everywhere else. Because if they do this - they will have to provide comprehensive support for everyone in the UK - or deal with a total economic meltdown as the entire service and entertainment industry collapses - followed by millions of people defaulting on their mortgages or getting into rent arrears - local authorities bankrupt because they can't collect business rates - massive banking crash - millions out of work at a strole - public services and NHS collapsing - and so on and so right up to a complete collapse of the economy.
They will have to do all this eventually - but it will be done in a haphazard, badly thought out, rushed manner - exactly what has charchertised their response since the start.
Any previous government would have been contingency planning for exactly this scenario at least 6 weeks ago.
The contrast with past responses to emergencies like AIDS, foot and mouth, 9/11 and similar is stark.
So we get the pubs and cafes staying open but telling people not to go to them. We get no proper testing regime. We get a desperate scramble for ventilators. We get the schools staying open. We get no proper public information campaign. We get easily preventable panic buying. We get stated policy being reversed within days.
The cunts will cause unnecessary deaths of thousands and wreck millions of peoples livelihoods because they are lazy, bigoted chancers who are ideologically opposed to the idea that the fundamental purpose of government is to safeguard the well being of its citizens.

I agree with almost all of this, but not the bit about the comparison to previous emergencies - if anything, this and them all share the same sort of makeup, ie: the obvious result of a load of decisions usually taken by politicians for the wrong reasons, over a number of years, and in the face of very real and usually well-informed objections. There is even the same sort of self-interested media cheerleader activity.

Back
Top Bottom