Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Getting messages about military vehicles moving on/in London. Anyone seen with own eyes?

I've seen 2 clearly fake photo's of military doing the rounds "today".

One is a bunch of army cadets walking through Clapham from god knows when.

The other looks like a land rover and some other green bits and bobs parked at the side of the road. In a country that drives on the other side of the road....

We will know when there is going to be a lockdown, when the Eton Rifles appear in the row down near Slough!

Last edited:
TBF, the Guardian has this:
We’ve always said that we are going to do the right measures at the right time.
Actually I think a lot of people are taking a real heroic effort to comply with the advice we’ve given but as I’ve said tonight, and in the past few days, we keep everything under continuous review and we will not hesitate in bringing forward further and faster measures where we think that is necessary.

So, it's not an outlandish rumour by any means.

All schools closing Friday: UK coronavirus live: all schools to close from Friday; GCSE and A-level exams cancelled

All UK schools will close immediately to staff and most pupils from Friday afternoon until further notice. Wales was first to announce the measure, followed closely by Scotland and Northern Ireland, before the Prime Minister confirmed the move would be nationwide. Johnson said nurseries and private schools would also be asked to close, and exams would not take place in May and June.

It seems extremely likely that a lockdown is happening very soon. I imagine it equally likely that it will involve the military.

Anecdotally, a friend's husband (who is in the army) has been told it's happening in a couple of days but that should be taken with a pinch of salt, obvs.

It seems extremely likely that a lockdown is happening very soon. I imagine it equally likely that it will involve the military.

Anecdotally, a friend's husband (who is in the army) has been told it's happening in a couple of days but that should be taken with a pinch of salt, obvs.
Heard the same this evening from a friend with army contacts. Next 24-48 hours for London.

A notable piece of 'build up the expert' here:

And a much more recent example of reassuring words about Whitty, albeit with some slight recognition of the difficult political moments of the last week.

These sorts of pieces usually have a bit where they would normally attempt to humanise the official, go into some detail about their family or interests, but very little info on that is available in the case of Whitty so we get an awkward bit instead. At least this particular ones awkward bit didnt include language and security service attitudes that sound more like something from the 1950s.

True. But as much of the accomodation is outsourced to private companies there is an element of "not our problem" in the thinking.

As many UG courses are now finishing up for the term there's a "get them done, get them off campus" rationale that would see much smaller numbers to manage on campus over the coming weeks.

We'll see of course. I'm astonished there hasn't been a more major outbreak at a University thus far.

Might well have been but students tend to be young and so only have mild symptoms. They are only testing people who are hospitalised.

Back
Top Bottom