Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Can anyone answer a question how long a shutdown might last?

How long was Chinas? Has China fully lifted?
Is there indication of how long to expect shutdown to last (at least on this occassion) in France/Spain/Italy?

23rd January til .....

My local is worried about the impact on pubs if they are closed down without government support.
Our old local Irish pub has posted Facebook posts advertising their St Patrick's Day entertainment tonight, then posted that 2 of the acts have pulled out due to 'health and safety reasons' and then proudly posted replacement acts!

they dont have a strategy or any sort of thought through plan. They are still trying to wing it - im guessing its an attempt to keep the economy going. But this a situation that requires the complete mobilisation of the full capacity of the state at every level combined with properly coordinated community responses - essentially world war 2 level stuff. Every other country has jumped on this big style from the start - i am thoroughly unconvinced that johnsons and his mates - with their hard for "creative chaos" and social darwinism - have come up with a better solution.
The UK had a higely valuable notice period of at least 6 weeks to plan - and they've have clearly done nothing. There is no contingency planning - its all being done on the hoof.
Why the fuck are they keeping schools open? They will start closing themselves by the end of the week anyway. Where it the proper public information campaign? Why haven't they worked with supermarkets to prevent panic buying? Why aren't they tackling online misinformation? Where is the mitigation for the huge impact it will have on people's livelihoods? And - most glaringly - planning for ventilators and testing?

guess it depends on the policy?
This I think. and bear in mind that no insurance policy ever paid out for anything unless and until it absolutely had to.
In the meantime, many festivals/gigs etc have cancelled of their own accord, out of concern for the health of their communities - be it staff, bands, punters etc. People whose livelihoods depend on the festival season/gigs will be broke for over a year. Bands, small festivals, people like Something Else, won't have insurance against this type of thing and have had it. (I hope not, but you know what I mean).

Entirely selfishly, the thought of not getting a festival in this year terrifies me. I'm hoping Something Else's autumn one survives (for their sake's too).

I guess you could be affected by this?

Every other country has jumped on this big style from the start

Sadly that is not the case. Thats also one of the reasons why it has taken this long for the UKs approach to come under such intense scrutiny - it is only as epidemics have really started to get going in various EU countries that those countries got into action, and the differences in approach have become so apparent. The initial 'containment' phase was flawed in similar ways in most countries, with only a handful taking a different approach from the start.

.and:

"There are claims this evening that the UK prime minister’s decision to stop just short of ordering businesses such as pubs, restaurants and theatres to close down altogether will make it harder for them to claim back losses on their insurance.

The shadow digital, culture and media secretary, Tracy Brabin, has said:

It is a tragedy for any arts venue when they have no choice but to close. From the West End to community theatres up and down the country, many artists, actors, stage crew, producers and other workers face a terrible time ahead. It’s unacceptable that the Tories seem to be prioritising the needs of the insurance industry in what could be an existential crisis for our sector.

The prime minister must urgently clarify that theatres, music venues, and other organisations in the creative industries affected by his statement can claim insurance. The same goes for the UK’s incredible hospitality sector. These industries are part of the lifeblood of the nation and Labour will fight for their future."

suggests it can be claimed for? guess it depends on the policy?

Not sure that allowing them to claim on insurance is the best idea; the scale of these claims will just collapse the insurance firms and noone will get compensated.

A better idea - though I appreciate this has been said oft times already this week - would be having some form of national mortgage / rent holiday (with the latter where a landlord fully owns a property mortgage-free, so the tenants rent is covered; landlords with a mortgage would just get the mortgage payment) for a quarter combined with no tax on affected businesses at all for the same period and SSP or UC for everyone unable to work due to quarantine / a closed business. It will cost in the low tens of billions, but it will be much less than the 2008 bailout was and removing the cost of housing should (when the cost of transport is taken out too, since people won't be going to work) allow people to get by until we can get through the worst of this hopefully.

My insurer has specifically said they won't pay out for any coronavirus related shutdown, whether govt. ordered or not.
That is shit. Bugger all you can do, I know, but pass it on to your MP? Even if just to make the point? (are they just trying to get away with it?)

That is shit. Bugger all you can do, I know, but pass it on to your MP? Even if just to make the point? (are they just trying to get away with it?)
There's a specific clause about cover for shutdowns for notifiable diseases, but obviously c19 wasn't officially a notifiable disease (didn't exist) at the time I took the policy out. There are about 3 insurers who cover the childcare industry and all are saying the same.

Too many quotable things in the Imperial College document for me to even begin to mention them all.

This bit is their key excuse for why they only just realised:

In the UK, this conclusion has only been reached in the last few days, with the refinement of estimates of likely ICU demand due to COVID-19 based on experience in Italy and the UK (previous planning estimates assumed half the demand now estimated) and with the NHS providing increasing certainty around the limits of hospital surge capacity.

I'm literally trying to find this out right now. Everyone can give a few examples but no one gives a comprehensive list, and the advice I'm seeing about my condition seems incredibly dubious if it is there at all
I've just found this:

I'm 59 and have been offered a flu jab for 10-15 years and the system at the docs has me down as 'vulnerable'. Reporting so far has mentioned specific conditions with regard to vulnerability e.g. blood pressure, but this document specifically links it to getting the flu jab. However the document only talks about the vulnerable being 'particularly stringent' with regard to distancing. It doesn't use Johnson's phrase from today about the elderly and vulnerable self isolating for 12 weeks (or whatever specific form of words he used was).

There's a specific clause about cover for shutdowns for notifiable diseases, but obviously c19 wasn't officially a notifiable disease (didn't exist) at the time I took the policy out. There are about 3 insurers who cover the childcare industry and all are saying the same.

Total fucking bastards.

This should change from high up. The government has bailed out reinsurers before, and they could do it again, so that coronavirus was covered by insurance companies. It'd be far better than driving people into the ground so that they had no money to spend once the crisis is over.

It strikes me as fairly sensible to give advice at this point in time, rather than order people around, as most people will follow that advice.
With regard to getting people working from home, it really is helpful if government issue instructions to employers. Otherwise, workers and unions are forced to waste time and energy getting this through the thick heads of management (a battle my union branch has been engaged in today at work).

This I think. and bear in mind that no insurance policy ever paid out for anything unless and until it absolutely had to.
In the meantime, many festivals/gigs etc have cancelled of their own accord, out of concern for the health of their communities - be it staff, bands, punters etc. People whose livelihoods depend on the festival season/gigs will be broke for over a year. Bands, small festivals, people like Something Else, won't have insurance against this type of thing and have had it. (I hope not, but you know what I mean).

Entirely selfishly, the thought of not getting a festival in this year terrifies me. I'm hoping Something Else's autumn one survives (for their sake's too).

I guess you could be affected by this?

i'm terrified i am going to end my days(which haven't been brilliant), in a triage tent in a field somwhere, but hey.

i'm terrified i am going to end my days(which haven't been brilliant), in a triage tent in a field somwhere, but hey.
I'm in a high risk category. My days haven't been brilliant either. The one thing I've clung onto is that my job comes with decent death in service benefits for OH and daughter.

My biggest worry now is that I could lose that.

So they got the numbers wrong and the herd immunity strategy is over.

Lockdown / restrictions for potentially 18 months!
It's not that they didn't realise what the numbers were it's that they didn't realise everyone else knew what the numbers were.

It would be a really good idea if we could at least test healthcare professionals.

We are really going to need to keep NHS folks on side in what is likely to be a grim and exhausting time for them. Giving them access to testing so they can make sensible decisions about when to come to work seems like the level zero, rock bottom level of support we should be providing.

We are really going to need to keep NHS folks on side in what is likely to be a grim and exhausting time for them. Giving them access to testing so they can make sensible decisions about when to come to work seems like the level zero, rock bottom level of support we should be providing.

While this is obviously true, there are hundreds of thousands of frontline clinical staff. Getting the capacity to test them all on-demand is not a trivial task and not simply a matter of politicians getting their arse in gear.

.and:

"There are claims this evening that the UK prime minister’s decision to stop just short of ordering businesses such as pubs, restaurants and theatres to close down altogether will make it harder for them to claim back losses on their insurance.

The shadow digital, culture and media secretary, Tracy Brabin, has said:

It is a tragedy for any arts venue when they have no choice but to close. From the West End to community theatres up and down the country, many artists, actors, stage crew, producers and other workers face a terrible time ahead. It’s unacceptable that the Tories seem to be prioritising the needs of the insurance industry in what could be an existential crisis for our sector.

The prime minister must urgently clarify that theatres, music venues, and other organisations in the creative industries affected by his statement can claim insurance. The same goes for the UK’s incredible hospitality sector. These industries are part of the lifeblood of the nation and Labour will fight for their future."

suggests it can be claimed for? guess it depends on the policy?

So as cupid_stunt and others were saying correctly it looks like there will be little or no cover available and the twitter people were just being hopeful. Some sort of bailout a la France needs to happen.

Last edited:
Wildly speculative conspiracy theory: not enforcing shutdown not only protects the insurance industry but also means that the only ones who survive are those with the capital muscle to ride out the storm, then on the other side the consolidate their power by hoovering up all the assets and market space left by the smaller institutions, further strengthening their grip on industries and concentrating power with a select few.

Even if that's not actually their plan, can't help worrying it will be one of the outcomes.

Back
Top Bottom