Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

I need to know too. Just looked up some online and they were crap.

I have to come to London in 2 weeks for an MRI at UCHL. I'm coming on the train then bus from Paddington to Euston Rd so I'm going to need one/some. This will be the first time I've been more than 8 miles from my house since mid-March. And even that has only been 3 or 4 shopping trips to Tesco.
They sell the the disposable masks here at chemist supermarkets for about around 80 cents to 1 euro here, one bar I was in gave me five for free but theres also a small home industry of washable masks normally 5/6 euros locally. I bought two off the attractive Brazilian/Portuguese woman Janin and two others off neighbours.

FFS:
from the article:
cunt said:
...It comes as a leaked email from the chief executive of Serco – one of the main companies contracted to deliver the service – revealed how he doubted the scheme would evolve smoothly but said he wanted it to “cement the position of the private sector” in the NHS supply chain....

I'm dreading Monday.

This thing with the buses makes me anxious. I'm disabled but it ain't visible. I rely on public transport but wearing a mask is a huge ordeal, it freaks me out. So I'm gonna have to explain to bus drivers the nature of my disabilities, even though I have a bus pass. Then there'll be the self appointed busybodies on the bus demanding to know why I ain't wearing one..... Looks like I'm gonna have to stay indoors now.
I am really sorry you are feeling anxious. Stay at home.

I imagine there is going to be lots of people in this position, worried and scared, but having no other alternative.

Looking at a bigger picture, I'd say this is a welcome development, but it should have been implemented weeks ago. Even now nothing stops the government to issue every household with a washable mask for both adults and children, and mandate wearing masks indoors.

The worst bit is that the government is so cruel that it's also going to leave the enforcement of mask wearing to bus drivers and train conductors, exposing them to being yelled at in the best of times or spat at in worse case scenarios by libertarian people who don't want to wear masks.

Just gonna shamelessly quote myself here from the World covid thread. Nothing, other than their covid eaten brains, prevents the government to copy Hong Kong.
All Hong Kong residents can get a reusable mask courtesy HK government.
PushIhp.jpg

I guess I'm used to schools round here which have a catchment area of 800m or something. And i also had primary school in my head as 5 yr olds rather than junior school aged kids.
Lots of kids are taken to school in special school buses too - I think they still count as public transport cos they're put on by the bus company rather than chartered.

I arrived back in the UK on Wednesday. Couldn't believe that the only staff at Gatwick wearing masks were the cleaners. Masks are mandatory in Turkey in crowded public places, on transport, in shops, etc etc, so that's what I'm used to. I travelled with multiple masks and also wore a plastic visor (much easier to breathe). People were literally staring and sniggering at me in the airport. The immigration officer was sarcastic and told me to "remove that paraphernalia". Yeah lady, my paraphernalia is helping to keep you and everyone else safe, considering I've travelled from Turkey to Belarus and then on to London.

It's an absolute pathetic shame that they were debating masks for months and are only doing something about it now. No, nobody likes wearing them. I never thought people would wear them in Turkey - it's not a place people like to follow the rules. Back in February I remember one man on the metro with a mask and people avoiding him and staring at him. Now everyone wears them and it's just normal. People adapt quickly. Stop bloody whinging and discussing it and cover your mouth and nose. It's not difficult. It should also apply to supermarkets.

Our public health officials know that they're the best in the world, so aren't going to be swayed by what other countries do - they must be seen to come to their own decisions by weighing up the evidence properly.

Lots of kids are taken to school in special school buses too - I think they still count as public transport cos they're put on by the bus company rather than chartered.
Public transport is defined by the public having access to it. SEN transport they dont?

Our public health officials know that they're the best in the world, so aren't going to be swayed by what other countries do - they must be seen to come to their own decisions by weighing up the evidence properly.

Even if that is true, a lot of the decisions are being made by politicians, not public health officials. It would take a special kind of idiot to claim that British politicians are the best in the world...

The Back to Work pack on UKMeds looks interesting.

How do you download the app anyway?
Not released yet.

The chief operating officer of the test and trace scheme said the scheme should be fully working by September or October.

Doofus minister Nadhim Zahawi said "I'd like to think we'd be able to manage by this month, yes."

Take your pick who you believe.

Back
Top Bottom