Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

Ahh, good point I forgot to add the link.

It's the Cambridge modelling showing r rate but the site has lots of other tabs to check. They currently predict death rate to stop decreasing by mid June :(

Thanks for this. What does Crl mean? I'm pretty rubbish at statistics despite having a social science degree!

Thanks for this. What does Crl mean? I'm pretty rubbish at statistics despite having a social science degree!

Its the upper and lower confidence levels for the data. The black line is the estimate and the limits are +/- upper and lower limits the data supports.

Its the upper and lower confidence levels for the data. The black line is the estimate and the limits are +/- upper and lower limits the data supports.

I should've just googled what lower confidence level means in statistics. I thought it was something specific to their modeling and not something used in statistics in general. I can't even remember what I got for statistics at university but it must've scraped me through at least!

To be precise they are not limits exactly, they are the bounds of the region that the data suggest the real value is (in this case) 95% likely to be within. The actual number could be higher than the upper number, or lower than the lower number, but the chance of either of those being the case is only 1 in 20.

Edit to add: I say ‘only’ 1 in 20; it’s worth bearing in mind that 1 in 20 probability events do happen quite a lot - about 1 time in 20 in fact.

Spotted a story about school closing due to Corona today so thought I'd see what I could find over the last week with a search.

Turns out schools don't actually appear to be as minor a vector as we've been told.

Northampton primary closes after Covid-19 outbreak

Two children test positive for coronavirus as West Yorkshire school prepares to reopen

School closes after seven staff get coronavirus

A scattering of stories tells us nothing. How many schools are there in the UK?

A scattering of stories tells us nothing. How many schools are there in the UK?

There were more reported institutional outbreaks in schools than in hospitals in the latest report.

151 new acute respiratory outbreaks have been reported in week 22 (Figure 11):
  • 111 outbreaks were from care homes where 62 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
  • 8 outbreaks were from hospitals where 6 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
  • 15 outbreaks were from schools where 9 tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
  • 2 outbreak were from prisons where one tested positive for SARS-CoV-2
  • 15 outbreaks were from the Other Settings category where 10 tested positive for SARS- CoV-2

Screenshot 2020-06-06 at 12.35.17.png
My break is going well, although I have discovered that if I just pop in briefly and make the occasional post like this one, it still feels like a break compared to what I was doing before.

There were more reported institutional outbreaks in schools than in hospitals in the latest report.
Some quick googling suggests there area about 1,200 hospitals, and 141,000 hospital beds in the UK.
And there are about 17,000 primary schools, and 4,700,000 primary school children.

So, more outbreaks occuring in primary schools than hospitals doesn't seem immediately concerning to me.

It means that something like 1 in 150 hospitals has seen an outbreak, and 1 in 1100 primary schools has seen an outbreak.

I'm not commenting on how much it matters, I just put it there to provide some context for a subject that had already come up. Probably I would make some further points if I was not on a break from my normal stuff with this, but since I am on a break I will mostly resist. I will just say that it is completely understandable why some are interested in such details given the partial restart of schools, and the propensity of some others to downplay school stuff entirely.

While I am here, may as well mention that the daily press briefing stats recently switched back to showing actual number of ventilator beds occupied by Covid-19 patients, rather than the percentage of capacity used stats that they switched to for ages. I havent analysed the data yet to see if it shows anything that was previously obscured by us being given percentages rather than actual numbers.

I was really surprised just how empty central London still is

Deserted London: the empty streets of Soho, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, June 2020

I was really surprised just how empty central London still is

Deserted London: the empty streets of Soho, Leicester Square, Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square, June 2020

Not at Parliament Square it isn't, many thousands there, that will be tourists staying away

Don't know when central London will be busy again. That will need tourists, shoppers, diners, workers. If we just let this thing rumble along with an R just under 1 we're going to get our arses kicked quickly when the weather gets cold.

Ahh, good point I forgot to add the link.

It's the Cambridge modelling showing r rate but the site has lots of other tabs to check. They currently predict death rate to stop decreasing by mid June :(

By my reckoning the death rate has already stopped declining. In the last week the 7-day rolling average of reported deaths has only fallen by 3%, which given the reporting lag could well mean that the actual death rate has increased.

I know yesterday there were no 'experts' at the briefing but have they scrapped it completely? Couldn't see it in the schedules.

I was just in a place where nobody was practicing social distancing at all, mostly people below forty. I suspect most of them think 'I'm young-ish, I don't live with the vulnerable people, it doesn't matter too much if I get it'. And I realise that I somewhat had that kind of attitude before I (probably) got it. And I blame the press for that, and fucking Johnson obviously. I and the other people in my house who had it would give this advice: no matter how healthy you think you are, try very hard to avoid it, because when you have it you'll wish you hadn't. This is the advice the government should have given a lot more strongly: it will quite possibly matter if you get it, whatever age you are. Try really hard not to get it.

I was just in a place where nobody was practicing social distancing at all, mostly people below forty. I suspect most of them think 'I'm young-ish, I don't live with the vulnerable people, it doesn't matter too much if I get it'. And I realise that I somewhat had that kind of attitude before I (probably) got it. And I blame the press for that, and fucking Johnson obviously. I and the other people in my house who had it would give this advice: no matter how healthy you think you are, try very hard to avoid it, because when you have it you'll wish you hadn't. This is the advice the government should have given a lot more strongly: it will quite possibly matter if you get it, whatever age you are. Try really hard not to get it.
I was trying reasonably hard not to catch it but I have probably had it anyway. And before I had it, I was pretty resigned to getting it at some point because living in London will offer many opportunities to get it. I thought it wouldn't be that hard to have it. I I was wrong. It's been debilitating and long lasting. My advice is also try not to get it.

Back
Top Bottom