Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Coronavirus in the UK - news, lockdown and discussion

So yesterday's death rate at 359 id more than the combined EU27 but Johnson is very proud of the Government's response. :facepalm:

EZmbO_CWsAA0kJN
Yep, very impressive, especially as we are a fucking island as well.

Perhaps, sorry if it sounds stupid. I haven't been reading any newspapers recently and online have only heard of Johnson, Hancock, Whitty, Cummings etc ..
it's just that if they're all there, they will all be as likely to be affected by it

What's been happening in Wales? It's now doing noticeably worse than anywhere else.

What are you basing this on? Aneurin Bevan have largely got a hold on their deaths and now the worst areas are Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr (both covering impoverished areas surprise, surprise). But they still are only 35th and 40th respectively out of 339 councils in England and Wales for worst death rates. Most of the rest of Wales is doing considerably better than anywhere in England, and always has been.

Using estimates for 2020 (to which I've linked), there's a two million-or-so difference in population between Scotland (5,254,800) and Wales (3,230,490)

Whereas the difference in death toll is only 1,201 :(

There are inevitably going to be some discrepancies/inconsistencies in the stats-gathering methodologies between the two countries, but those figure are not good for Wales .....

(Just posting this for context -- I can't for the life of me offer any reasons! :oops: )

Does anyone know if, and if so where, the underlying data for the sero-prevalence survey (as summarised here amongst other places Sero-surveillance of COVID-19 ) is available?

They highlight a few tantalising age- and location-related variations in the summary, but it's frustrating not to be able to see the whole dataset...

What are you basing this on? Aneurin Bevan have largely got a hold on their deaths and now the worst areas are Rhondda Cynon Taff and Merthyr (both covering impoverished areas surprise, surprise). But they still are only 35th and 40th respectively out of 339 councils in England and Wales for worst death rates. Most of the rest of Wales is doing considerably better than anywhere in England, and always has been.

Is there a link for the different council areas??
My comment (post 13,557 above) that the figures aren't good for Wales was more based on an overall comparison with Scotland, in the context of their respective populations, but I do take your point as well.

Back
Top Bottom